Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Kessel
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
The various map building scenarios specify things like 4 labyrinths, 2 alts, etc. However, things like the Alliance key don't show up in a standard setup until you've got 6 platters out! That'll never happen for me.

In DOAI, it was complete pick and choose what things came out. Is there any obvious balance reason why you wouldn't allow something similar in DOAII? E.g. if someone wanted the Alliance key, it'd be fine to add it regardless of platters.

In DOAI, the only restriction was at least 6 dome keys. Depending on my team setup sometimes I'd purposely place lots of domes and sometimes I'd make it labyrinth heavy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Beller
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
I tend to now to always use the Alliance Key. Even playing a 3 platter game the other day, still used the Alliance Key. It seems to work out ok for our games. Granted, usually, we play 4 or mostly 5 platter games, though.

I know that I really like that Key, because I really like the Henchmen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mesich
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Horta chortles.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The quad maps have an Alliance key on them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In DoA1 there was another restriction that the 4 labyrinths and two team bases must be placed.

For the Alliance key, the only balancing aspect I could think of is that you may only want to introduce it at a minimum character count as the henchmen would have less impact on the game relative to the number of characters. But since it is present in even the smallest rush and flag games I don't think this is the case.

My guess is that for the labyrinth missions it was just easier to specify a fixed number of labyrinths than a combination of labyrinths and/or alliance.

I would go for it as but would definitely keep the above restrictions for 4 labyrinths and team bases.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Robben
United States
Spring Hill
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Macs wrote:

keep the above restrictions for 4 labyrinths and team bases.

+Alliance and Lith.

This is what we have just done for our most recent game, 3 platters, 8 characters per team. So...one less Dome Key...

I'll let you all know how it goes...takes us a couple of days.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kalidor wrote:
Macs wrote:

keep the above restrictions for 4 labyrinths and team bases.

+Alliance and Lith.

This is what we have just done for our most recent game, 3 platters, 8 characters per team. So...one less Dome Key...

Or 6 dome keys if you do a three platter formation that is open rather than triangular. 1 Dome key on each far end and 4 at the center joints means that everything is still quite accessible with all the dismissals/banishings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.