Combat Commander: Europe» Forums » General

Subject: Kudos to the designers rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just want to say that whoever decided to make the hexes as big as they are is my new hero. My biggest gripe with chit-and-hex wargames is that if they use a lot of indicator chits (Fired, Smoke, Suppression, Moved, etc) then you end up with these huge stacks of chits in a tiny hex on the playing surface and it not only slows down the game, but makes it hard to remember who is who and where is what. These large hex maps are fantastic and I hope that other designers follow this trend in the future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chadwik
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the kind words, Eric.

Those oversized hexes (they are 1.5" across) were part of my design criteria from the very start; and they work -- 99% of the time, a player can look at the map without touching anything and see ALL the relevant information on EVERY counter in play.

The large hex size is one of the things folks tend to comment on most favorably during demo sessions.

Cheers,
Chadwik

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L Myrick
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Big hexes (like DASL) = very good!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antigonus Monophthalmus
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have been looking to get into wargames for a long time. I have Panzer Grenadier which is a fun and relatively simple series, but nobody really wants to play it. The chits stacking higher and higher always scares people well enough away. With these large hexes and the cards, I really think I want to dive into the wargaming world now. I just want to thank you for this opportunity, because it looks like a spectacular game and the hex size really makes a much larger impact than people might think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gotthard Heinrici (prev. Graf Strachwitz)
Germany
Düsseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dear Chad,

My supplier and I are anxiously waiting for arrival of Combat Commander.

When can we expact it in Germany??!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chadwik
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
mbmbmbmbmb
Harro,

CC is likely to be released by this Summer, based upon current rate of climb up the P500 ladder. Could be sooner, could be later, though, so don't quote me on that.

Cheers,
Chadwik

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.