Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

D-Day at Omaha Beach» Forums » Rules

Subject: Tank in command of HQ, but not adjacent to German unit, so no radio? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Horn
United States
Coeur d Alene
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Under 8.24 is seems even though my tank that is assisting in an attack because it is in range and under command of an HQ does not actually help meet the radio requirement because the tank is not actually adjacent only the infantry unit that the tank is assisting is adjacent.

Is this a correct interpretation? Or at least a consensus interpretation?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
That's an excellent question. Is it the attacking infantry that needs the requisite weapons, any adjacent unit, or anyone joining the attack?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gert Havlykke
Sweden
Rimbo
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the rules are very specific in mentioning that only attacking units adjacent to an enemy gets the radio weapon. Should range firing units have been allowed radios on range fire, it would have been stated in that paragraph.

So unless your tank attacks from an adjacent hex, it won't get the radio weapon added.

Rulewise I think it's try to simulate that being up and close to the enemy (= adjacent), you get to call down precision support fire from HQ (be it naval guns, air support or what ever).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
Menin Gate at Midnight, Will Longstaff, 1927.
badge
"At the landing, and here ever since" - Anzac Book, p. 35.
mbmbmbmbmb
felini wrote:
I think the rules are very specific in mentioning that only attacking units adjacent to an enemy gets the radio weapon. Should range firing units have been allowed radios on range fire, it would have been stated in that paragraph.

So unless your tank attacks from an adjacent hex, it won't get the radio weapon added.

Rulewise I think it's try to simulate that being up and close to the enemy (= adjacent), you get to call down precision support fire from HQ (be it naval guns, air support or what ever).

Yes:

"A US unit attacking a German position from an adjacent hex when in command of an HQ may include the radio among its weapon capabilities."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Horn
United States
Coeur d Alene
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thank all. I understand the rule and it was 8.24 that I specifically mentioned in my post. It just seemed weird that HQ can lend a unit a radio when that unit is adjacent to the enemy, but if they are not adjacent No Radio For You!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Mixer
United States
Brooksville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Link for the win!
mbmbmbmbmb
But you need the Radio to use the tank if it is not adjacent, I believe.

For example: An infantry is attacking a WN, it is adjacent to an HQ. 3 hexes away sits a (miracles of miracles) tank on the beach. With 2 actions, you could have the tank lend its firepower to the attack on the WN, because of the HQ next to the infantry which is next to the WN.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Stevenson
United States
Columbus
Ga
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, if the tank or one of the infantry units is adjacent to a HQ or general that's good enough.

Or if the tank is adjacent to one of the infantry units (with no HQ or general around) is good enough also

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.