Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got the FFG version and haven't had a chance to play it yet. I was wondering what is the purpose of the app? Will it help me in my first game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro G.
United States
Hurst
Texas
flag msg tools
Sometimes you have to roll the hard six.
badge
I'm getting my men...
mbmbmbmbmb
Just helps randomize choosing a hideout.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
xpiredsodapop wrote:

Is it only for some alternate rules or can it be used with the game from the get go? I don't know the rules yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
xpiredsodapop wrote:

Is it only for some alternate rules or can it be used with the game from the get go? I don't know the rules yet.

It is just used for a variant, where instead of having free choice of his hideout. Jack must randomly choose it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Which can be achieved through any number of other methods, including free RNG apps. Only extra thing is the 'difficulty' setting of which hideout it will choose. I wouldn't waste my money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don D.
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's purpose is balancing the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dond80 wrote:

How

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dond80 wrote:

This is slightly at odds with what you said in the other thread. Its purpose is to make money from something which can be done with any number of free methods of randomly generating a number, if you are of the opninion that the best method is to pick entirely at random.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Nicosia
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
SMASH!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have the app, or even an iPhone, but it's my understanding that it lets you choose a 'difficulty' of hideout spot, so I guess it could be seen to balance by letting better players choose harder hideouts and non-gamers choosing easier hideout spots. With so many other ways to give one side or the other an advantage/handicap, including several in the official rules, I think we'll just stick with letting Jack choose wherever he wants... part of the fun, imo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patty Pilf
Finland
flag msg tools
mb
zenpunk wrote:
it's my understanding that it lets you choose a 'difficulty' of hideout spot, so I guess it could be seen to balance by letting better players choose harder hideouts and non-gamers choosing easier hideout spots.

So if we're using the app to choose a hard location, we're instantly disregarding the easy, medium locations. In essence already narrowing the field down to x locations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don D.
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Destroyder wrote:
dond80 wrote:

This is slightly at odds with what you said in the other thread. Its purpose is to make money from something which can be done with any number of free methods of randomly generating a number, if you are of the opninion that the best method is to pick entirely at random.

It is not remotely at odds with what I said in the other thread don't pick a fight. Why do you insist on believing that something like this app can only have one purpose? Do you object to for profit business trying to...make profit?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don D.
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AntandBeeandtheABC wrote:
zenpunk wrote:
it's my understanding that it lets you choose a 'difficulty' of hideout spot, so I guess it could be seen to balance by letting better players choose harder hideouts and non-gamers choosing easier hideout spots.

So if we're using the app to choose a hard location, we're instantly disregarding the easy, medium locations. In essence already narrowing the field down to x locations.

Correct, it's a bad idea. I was against this addition to the app. It should be purely random.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Nicosia
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
SMASH!!!
mbmbmbmbmb

that's assuming you've already used the app dozens of times and can remember where all the easy/medium/difficult points are. As much as I love it, I doubt I'll ever have enough plays of the game to figure the app out.

I'm not really defending the app... well, okay, I guess I am, because I fully support it's right to exist and make money ... more power to em, and kudos for supplying a service some people may want, but no one is forced to buy... but, like I said, I don't and won't use the app just cus I think Jack should have free choice of anywhere. I would, though, love to see the list of points that are considered easy/medium/hard hideouts for jack. I think I'd like to print this out and have it available for Jack when choosing a hideout at the beginning (just for informational purposes, still letting her choose anywhere she wants). If anyone wants to upload/copy/paste the list, much obliged.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patty Pilf
Finland
flag msg tools
mb
zenpunk wrote:
that's assuming you've already used the app dozens of times and can remember where all the easy/medium/difficult points are.

It's rather easy. I just printed out a sheet with the numbers in three categories, easy/medium/hard.

zenpunk wrote:
I think I'd like to print this out and have it available for Jack when choosing a hideout at the beginning (just for informational purposes, still letting her choose anywhere she wants). If anyone wants to upload/copy/paste the list, much obliged.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Nicosia
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
SMASH!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
can you copy it here, or gm it to me?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Clarke
England
Dursley
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zenpunk wrote:

Sounds like you are right and it would be a bit of a giveaway to the police players but only if they knew how each numbered circle was classed?

Only way would be for Jack to secretly choose easy, medium or hard, to keep the location "group" from the police. It depends what sort of challenge Jack himself wants?

Of course, totally random is another alternative, which has already been mentioned.

I'm not sure about the app, seems a bit pricey for what it is? If it was 99 cents (or 69 pence for me), I'd get it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.