Subject: Lowest Score(s) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Perucca
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
Say you have more than one lowest-score colors. After your tile placement, you have only one of those lowest-score colors on your rack. Can you replace your rack?

Example: After placing a tile, my lowest-score colors are YELLOW and BLUE, both at 5 points. My rack has YELLOW tiles but no BLUE tiles. Can I replace my rack?

I'd assume the answer is no. So, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Fisk
United Kingdom
Stoke on Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Come on you Seagulls! Sami Hyppia's Blue & White army!
badge
That's weird. This bit used to mention Shire Games, and tell you all how wonderful we are. But it seems to have got deleted. Let's see what happens this time ....
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure I'm supposed to reply, because you are correct.

However, as far as I'm aware, you ARE allowed to replace your rack - in your example - if your rack was missing both YELLOW and BLUE.

N.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kane Klenko
United States
Ridgeway
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say no; you can only replace your rack if you have no yellow and no blue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A HIke!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
you can only replace your rack if you have no yellow and no blue.

Arg!! I was taught the game rather than reading the rules and I was taught that you could only replace your rack if you didn't have any of the color or you last cube. However, the caveat is that you can only have one last cube. So in this example, a tie means you can't replace your rack even if you don't have either color.

Gotta go get the rules to see who's right...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Perucca
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
louper wrote:
The rules are quite clear in that you can only replace your rack if, after playing a tile, you do not have ANY tiles of ANY of the colors that are tied for your lowest score.

Your words are much clearer than the rule book. The rule book only says (per se), "... the lowest score" -- no plural or "(s)". But, common sense says it's played as you've stated (and my initial assumption). I just wanted to confirm. Clearer rules have been sometimes ruled counter to common sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A HIke!
mbmbmbmbmb
From my rules:

Swap your Tiles: Before you refresh your hand, if
your rack does not contain any of the colors
currently in lowest position on your score
board, then you may show your tiles to the
other players, put all tiles...

Colors is plural (and it makes the most sense) so I'm taking this to mean that ties are candidates for the tile swap when you have no matches across all colors in the lowest position.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
matthew.marquand wrote:
From my rules:

Colors is plural (and it makes the most sense) so I'm taking this to mean that ties are candidates for the tile swap when you have no matches across all colors in the lowest position.

I don't know if I agree with this. I mean I agree that the quote of the rules is right, but not the rule itself. Because in all fairness, a player could make their first move of the game and easily swap out their tiles because 5 of their colors would be tied for last place. In essence, you could keep doing this until you get a set of tiles you really liked, which I think is a bit unfair, and a lot of swapping. We play that you may only swap if you have one singular lowest cube on your scorecard and no corresponding tiles on your rack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Roney
United States
Ladera Ranch
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pHr0sT wrote:
matthew.marquand wrote:
From my rules:

I don't know if I agree with this. I mean I agree that the quote of the rules is right, but not the rule itself. Because in all fairness, a player could make their first move of the game and easily swap out their tiles because 5 of their colors would be tied for last place. In essence, you could keep doing this until you get a set of tiles you really liked, which I think is a bit unfair, and a lot of swapping. We play that you may only swap if you have one singular lowest cube on your scorecard and no corresponding tiles on your rack.

NO, you have to have NO tiles with ANY of the tied colors. Which means that if you have scored one red, the only way you can swap the five tiles is if you have five double-red tiles remaining. Having any tile with ANY of the colors tied for last disqualifies you from swapping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay I see what you mean. Thank you for the clarification.
Example: I have a RY , BO , YY , YB , GR , RY
I play the BO.
I have a tie for the lowest score between orange and purple. I can replace all tiles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.