Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
I mentioned boosting zone attacks with the Ranged +1 / Melee +1 rings in another thread, and got this answer:

sdougla2 wrote:
Zone attacks don't get boosted by Fireshaper Ring or Lightning Ring, so I'm not sure what you're talking about there.

Is this true? If so, why?

By means of example, Fireshaper Ring gives the mage Ranged +1 "for all attacks he makes that deal flame damage", and Ring of Fire is a ranged zone attack that deals flame damage. What am I missing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Douglass
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's just based on the Ranged +X trait. From the current edition of the rules posted on the MW website:

"Ranged +X
This creature gains + X attack dice when it makes a ranged attack. If the attack makes multiple attacks against the same or different objects, it gains this bonus only for the first attack it can make with this bonus. Has no effect on zone attacks. Does not grant a ranged attack if this creature does not have one."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Q
Canada
flag msg tools
Why?

I suspect the reasoning is that attacks that affect multiple targets are weaker than single target spells with a similar mana cost. The reason for this should be obvious. So, additional strength is more valuable for those attacks that can hit multiple units.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot. Gee, should have checked the rules for the all-important fine print

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Chang
msg tools
Johnny Q wrote:
Why?

I suspect the reasoning is that attacks that affect multiple targets are weaker than single target spells with a similar mana cost. The reason for this should be obvious. So, additional strength is more valuable for those attacks that can hit multiple units.

Ranged +1 and Melee +1 buffs are very inexpensive. (3 mana for ranged +1, or 5 mana for melee +2) Therefore they have to be limited in power.

Ranged +1 can only affect one attack per action. For example, if you cast a fireball you get +1 damage dice. If you cast a chain lightning, you get +1 damage dice to the first attack, but it does NOT add dice to the subsequent attacks. (so you'd get 6-4-3-2-1 dice instead of 5-4-3-2-1)

Because a Zone attack can hit a ton of stuff at once, it would simply be "unfair" for Ranged +1 to provide multiple additional dice at once. Therefore zone attacks are completely unaffected by buffs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.