Popular Tags: [View All]
Mary Weisbeck
United States
Black Hawk
South Dakota
flag msg tools
"Blow up the damned ship, Jean-Luc!"
mbmbmbmbmb
First, I'm thrilled with how this game plays; it's fun as well as challenging. Now for the question.

Car A is approaching a corner on the inside curb. It goes ahead 4, it's pawn goes ahead 4. Now car B, who's also on the inside curb, goes straight ahead 4 and the pawn ends up between car A and its pawn. As I read the rules, this is not allowed. Am I correct?

I understand that a car's trajectory can't run through another car (unless you engage), but the A car will move first with the B car trailing, which seems to be quite accurate as race cars often follow the same path. It seems unfair for car B to be forced to take a different trajectory.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
I think you are incorrect as I see nothing wrong with that placement.

The only prohibition I see is a move by one car through another car (without engagement) when it is that car's turn to move. I see nothing wrong with "potential" moves that go through another car as the car will just have swerve to avoid that car if it is still there while moving.

I don't see where pawn placement is subject to the same restriction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary Weisbeck
United States
Black Hawk
South Dakota
flag msg tools
"Blow up the damned ship, Jean-Luc!"
mbmbmbmbmb
RPardoe wrote:

The only prohibition I see is a move by one car through another car (without engagement) when it is that car's turn to move. I see nothing wrong with "potential" moves that go through another car as the car will just have swerve to avoid that car if it is still there while moving.

I don't see where pawn placement is subject to the same restriction.

That's what I was thinking, too. So when you move your CAR, you can't take it on a trajectory that passes through another car. THAT makes sense. Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Derrick
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
That's what I was thinking, too. So when you move your CAR, you can't take it on a trajectory that passes through another car. THAT makes sense. Thank you.

Can anybody say what it precisely means to "pass through another car"?

Is it simply that you cannot pass through the mathematical point that another car occupies, or is there a broader interpretation?

I.e., when a car is travelling at a angle to the board grid, are the only points forbidden for it to pass through the actual grid intersections that it precisely hits, or...?

Put another way, Car A and B are on a N-S straight, and B is exactly behind A. I know that B can go 1E-1N. Can it go 1E-2N, or 1E-3N,... or 1E-7N?

Or, think of a Cartesian Grid, with Car A at 0,0 and Car B at 1,1. Can a Car at 1,0 travel between A & B to 0,1? How about to 0,7?

-- rob d.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Spazzali
Italy
Milan
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
robmderrick wrote:

Put another way, Car A and B are on a N-S straight, and B is exactly behind A. I know that B can go 1E-1N. Can it go 1E-2N, or 1E-3N,... or 1E-7N?

Yes, B can go 1E-1N, 1E-2N, or 1E-3N,... or 1E-7N

robmderrick wrote:

Or, think of a Cartesian Grid, with Car A at 0,0 and Car B at 1,1. Can a Car at 1,0 travel between A & B to 0,1? How about to 0,7?

-- rob d.

Yes, Car C at 1,0 can travel between A & B to 0,1 and even to 0,7
but, for example, car A cannot go to 2,2

The reason is that overtaking must be possible so the only point where you cannot pass is exactly the one occupied by the other car.

Bye bye
Castro

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.