Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel
Australia
Stratton
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok I have learnt how to play and love the game to bits BUT for some reason every second game I keep getting smashed by Location cards.
-I'm playing single player games
-I already have a location card in play
-I draw more Location cards which is now 2-3 points higher then all my hero's questing at once....

How am I suppose to remove them or do I just pack up at that point....

This can happen with any group right and has.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Judd
United States
Wright City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mb
If the total threat from Locations is greater than all of your hero's questing, I would have to guess that you are playing with the starting Tactics deck. It is very common for beginners to start with that deck, especially with the appeal of the heroes (Legolas and Gimli). You will learn very quickly that the Tactics deck is very weak by itself. Try some of the other starting decks instead and then look into combining the decks so the strengths of one sphere can help offset the weaknesses of another.

The Spirit deck has some good allies that can help out quite a bit with multiple locations, specifically Northern Tracker and to some degree Lorien Guide as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
While I do not play solo:

The balance solo should be only drawing one card per round and then hopefully travelling to a location, perhaps also each round. There are also cards that let you deal with locations more effectively, but I'll leave that up to solo players as to which are best.

I know in our multi-player games that certain location heavy scenarios can make things tough, but that's just part of the game. Yes, we've lost simply because the cumulative threat, that locations we couldn't deal with fast enough, added overwhelmed us; this is only in a small number of cases, however.

Our games are never over until they're over. You never know when fate will be on your side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
notrub eneg
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tend to agree with Mark. I am strictly a solo player. Opinion: based on what I have seen from others and my single hand solo experiences, it is difficult to manage without direct control (spirit; spirit hero), or at least indirectly through the appropriate song (later APs).

The locations can build up and I often don't travel in certain scenarios due to the impact of some locations when active. Thus I rely heavily (too much so?, heh) on quest power and location elimination via Northern Tracker and from later adventure packs Asfaloth, when using Glorspindel. Those plus threat reduction are biggies for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vladimir Lehotai
Slovakia
Piešťany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Beaveman wrote:
The Spirit deck has some good allies that can help out quite a bit with multiple locations, specifically Northern Tracker and to some degree Lorien Guide as well.

This. Northern Tracker turns the location control into a farce, provided the locations are not immune to player card effects (and there is not that many such locations).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Starry
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're using Lore, "Secret Paths" is a great way to supress a Location in your staging area until you get the chance to travel to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Davis
United Kingdom
Harlow
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Many new players make the mistake of packing their decks full of cards which help them fight and defeat enemies and don't put in enough cards to deal with locations (or with high willpower).

Short answer - use more cards which can help you deal with locations, and usually travel to a location (and clear the location) as soon as you have the chance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
Australia
Stratton
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I did use the tactics deck and only just won against scenario (passage through murkwood) but now I'm trying the leadership deck through the next scenario but the hill troll seems way to strong from the start.

- so I don't commit to questing to try and attack the hill troll my threat goes up a lot + excess damage from the hill troll that round.
- and if I do commit to questing the hill troll will be around a lot longer cause great damage plus still increasing my threat

Not to mention other cards that come into play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Addison Fox
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
DanThe Man wrote:
Yeah I did use the tactics deck and only just won against scenario (passage through murkwood) but now I'm trying the leadership deck through the next scenario but the hill troll seems way to strong from the start.

- so I don't commit to questing to try and attack the hill troll my threat goes up a lot + excess damage from the hill troll that round.
- and if I do commit to questing the hill troll will be around a lot longer cause great damage plus still increasing my threat

Yep, the hill troll is a tricky kettle of fish for the first quest. I find it's best to ignore it as long as possible to save up your strength, but once it engages you try to kill it in one turn; chumpblocking and swinging for the full 12 attack in one go is ideal. If you have to split it over two turns your threat will be mighty unpleasant and you'll have to race through the rest of the quest. Gandalf is a good friend of yours in this quest, especially if you can use him to block or swing back that turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
My job is not the day shift or the night shift, it's the always shift!
badge
I will chop your head off!
mbmbmbmbmb
DanThe Man wrote:

One card that REALLY helped me out of the base set for those trolls was the snare card in the green symbol deck. If you manage to get that card in your hand at the start of the game, it can really pacify those trolls. I've since bought expansions that make monsters like them much easier, but that's what I used out of the base set that worked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ainsworth
United Kingdom
Manchester
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some simple cards from the base set that prove useful against the Hill Troll:

Gandalf (+Sneak Attack)
Feint
Forest Snare
Gimli
Citadel Plate
Protector of Lorien

You can also use chump blockers (snowbourn scout, gondorian spearman) though you'll take a threat hit, easily remedied with Galadhrim's Greeting/Gandalf (though Gandalf may be better used for his damage).

There's a number of options open to you in every scenario, whether it's locations that are giving you trouble or an enemy. Once you identify and explore these options there's nothing in the game that's "too strong". But one does not simply walk into Mordor...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Alexander
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
locusshifter wrote:
I know in our multi-player games that certain location heavy scenarios can make things tough, but that's just part of the game. Yes, we've lost simply because the cumulative threat, that locations we couldn't deal with fast enough, added overwhelmed us; this is only in a small number of cases, however.

Interesting. Because it's happening in about 50% of our games: We make a point of always traveling to locations when we can, but you get stuck in the something like the Bight for a couple of rounds or have a couple of strong enemies show up that you have to dedicate resources to, and by the time you turn around 1-2 turns later you can easily end up with 3-5 locations on the table.

And once that happens, there doesn't seem to be any way to dig yourself back out of the hole: You can go to a location, but you're buried so deep that you can't reliably clear it in one turn (which only results in the location hole getting even deeper). Abilities like Legolas' help a bit and you may occasionally get a situational card like Secret Paths, but there's just not enough of them.

(I'm talking core set only here.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
Australia
Stratton
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
YEP YEP! That's a feeling I'm getting use to well.
So I'm trying to continue my journey with Théodred, Aragorn and Glóin with scenario journey along the anduin which needs 8 progress tokens to move on BUT it also comes with a hill troll with 6 damage and 9 health with the ability to increase your threat level with with remaining damage...

Now once I get two location cards in the staging area and the hill troll is still alive and kicking this is just about over, Heck one location was 5 threat alone.

I was however lucky enough to get sneak attack and Gandalf within three round and defeat the hill troll but how many times that will happen early in a game to defeat the hill troll I don't know... BUT

MEANWHILE I have a stack of location cards increasing my threat...the damage from the hill troll after what little defence I could do with ally's AND not to mention each round it Goes up by 1. The scaring thing is this scenario is only rated a difficulty of 4...4 OMG!!!

Is Escape from Dol Guldur even possible with 1 player with a Difficulty of 7 ?????

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
Australia
Stratton
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WOW!!!! Ok I'm still on 2b of Journey along the Anduin which makes you draw 2 encounter cards each quest phase... and I get the Goblin Sniper who doesn't let me engage it unless his the only card in the staging area (which wont happen cause I have to draw 2 cards or until my threat is 48 (which is near game over AND not yo mention he deals one damage to one character each combat phase...

•First am I doing the scenario right?
•Not sure what it means by "Do not make engagement checks during the encounter phase" (but each player may still optionally engage 1 enemy each encounter phase)
•How do I over come this continuous attack...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Sharpe
United Kingdom
Luton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DanThe Man wrote:
Is Escape from Dol Guldur even possible with 1 player with a Difficulty of 7 ?????

No. Not with the cards from the base set.

Well, OK, if you put together the strongest possible combination and keep trying and trying until you get lucky, maybe. But realistically - no.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Sharpe
United Kingdom
Luton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DanThe Man wrote:
•First am I doing the scenario right?
•Not sure what it means by "Do not make engagement checks during the encounter phase" (but each player may still optionally engage 1 enemy each encounter phase)
•How do I over come this continuous attack...

Yes, it's really tough (which is one reason I play two-handed, because one additional card is half as painful, and you can engage twice as many enemies optionally).

A slight clarification on the Goblin Sniper: it doesn't have to be the only card in the staging area before you engage it; just the only enemy. Which is fractionally easier.

'Do not make engagement checks' means that enemies won't engage you automatically if your threat exceeds theirs. But you can still choose to engage one enemy.

As a general tip, Dunhere is a useful hero here since he can take the Goblin Sniper out while its still in the staging area.

And it's worth knowing that this scenario is pretty front-loaded. Stage 3 is pretty short, so even if your threat is high by the time you'll get there, you'll still have a chance. So bleeding threat early on isn't necessarily a disaster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
Australia
Stratton
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Tim I didn't even realise the card says only ENEMY, that makes me feel a little more at ease

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
Australia
Stratton
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If Brok Ironfist response brings him into play after a defending dwarf is killed can I use him to attack?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.