United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want updates on when new TGIF polls are posted, or want to look at the results of past polls go to The TGIF Poll Subscription Thread.

Poll: The 247th TGIF Poll
Have you ever played a boardgame in a foreign country?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
Yes
50.8% 166
No
49.2% 161
Voters 327
When you travel on vacation do you take boardgames?
Always
27.0% 88
Usually
33.4% 109
Sometimes
23.6% 77
Rarely
10.1% 33
Never
5.8% 19
Voters 326
Not counting at game days and conventions, have you ever played a game with complete strangers?
Yes
49.2% 161
No
50.8% 166
Voters 327
This poll is now closed.   329 answers
Poll created by Blott
Closes: Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:00 am

4. Where's the furthest away from home you've played a boardgame?

Any discussion is encouraged.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Spartan Spawn, Sworn, Raised for Warring!"
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
"By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe."
mbmbmbmbmb
Blott wrote:

Furthest away Ive played a board game was in Ein Gev, Israel which is right on the Syrian border.

Close 2nd by around 1000 miles is Athens, Greece.

There are some really cool microbadges for this topic. You can see two of them displayed under my avatar. The creator also takes requests.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blott wrote:
Not counting at game days and conventions, have you ever played a game with complete strangers?

I'm not quite sure of your definition of "game day" but that could really limit the number of people who say yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cristelli
United States
Milton
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mb
4. Dallas at BGG.con
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have always taken boardgames with me when I go on vacation with my family ever since I re-entered the hobby last year.

I also take boardgames when I travel on business, but this is for solo play only.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
1 - Nope. Can't even remember when I went to Canada (the only other country I've visited.)

2 - I always bring games.

3 - Yes, been at a friends house when he had a whole bunch of strangers visiting (his family.)

4 - Mission trip to Alaska. Played Lord of the Rings every single day up there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
#1 I regularly take games on holiday, and have played in a few foreign countries... but mostly in the US.

#2 My family would always take games of some sort on holiday, even if it was just a pack of playing cards. More recently, when I've been on holiday I've taken games.

#3 When I was young and we were on holiday in the US, staying at Yosemite national park I think, we had a few decks of Magic:TG cards with us, and a young lad came and asked if he could join us for a few games.

Since then, I've had a bunch of total strangers round to my house to play games, when I was first starting a weekly game group...

#4 Probably playing games in the US with a guy I got to know on BGG, his wife... and a girl I'd met who went on to become my wife.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blott wrote:

3 - Yes, been at a friends house when he had a whole bunch of strangers visiting (his family.)
I forgot this scenario... I've definitely also played with strangers who were family/friends of people I did know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
Paris, France.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Vaccari
Italy
Nonantola (Mo)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Other than Essen and London On Board, here:

http://aleaparos.com/

Only 3 more working weeks and I'll be there!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember taking Ingenious: Travel Edition with us to Japan. We got our traveling companions interested in it as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
http://www.youtube.com/user/SmoothCJS
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've very rarely been to other countries (Sadly) and that was before I started playing board games.

If I go away I'll usually take 1 or more board games with me now that I'm a bit obsessed with them.

I've not really played with complete strangers. Well, I didn't really know my girlfriends sister before we invited her to a game of Pandemic, but I wouldn't have counted that.

The furthest I've been that I've taken board games is Wales a couple of weeks ago. I couldn't resist taking some with me to get my mates playing between RP sessions =)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Brychel
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
4. I played in Hong Kong. And I live in Denver Colorado!

-Brave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Urza, PhD of Dungeon Crawl
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. No. I've never been in a foreign country, so I could I play games there?

2. Always. Games go with me pretty much everywhere.

3. No. "Not counting game days and conventions" excludes all possibilities for this to happen.

4. Las Vegas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Huber

Westborough
Massachusetts
msg tools
Blott wrote:

I have played boardgames in foreign countries, but it's been a long time; the most recent times I've been out of the US (none of which is very recent) I did not play any games. I expect this will change this October.

But I nearly always bring games with me these days. Sometimes just a few, sometimes more.

The furthest away from home I've played a boardgame was a long time ago, when home was Cuyahoga Falls, OH, and I played multiple games (though most often Monopoly) in Kounoupidiana, Greece, a distance of more than 5,000 miles. I've played a _lot_ of games more than 2,500 miles from home, though...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Taylor
United Kingdom
Epping
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played a fair few games of Dominion in the middle of the Indian Ocean on a cruise ship.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Kunes
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We played games on an Alaskian cruise and in Yellowstone NP since joining BGG. Most of our games on those trip were Bananagrams, Hive, Innovation, or Citadels, i.e. smaller, more portable games.

meeple Keep playing...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb

Furthest? (Live in Florida)

Probably Venice. Bought some games in London during a layover for a Thanksgiving vacation to Venice and over the vacation we played them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
as for strangers not at a con, I suppose knowing someone through BGG and then playing with them Face to Face isn't 'playing with Strangers'

A couple months ago, my wife and I were in DC at a game store. They told us about a gaming night, so we showed up there and played a few games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Clark
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1).I've played plenty of traditional card games in foreign countries and probably chess and dominoes as well, but I've never played a modern/designer game anywhere but the US.

2). Not usually, but it's been happening more often.

3). Nope. I've played with strangers at conventions and events and people I've met online have come to the game nights I've organized. That's about it.

4). Excluding traditional card games and the like, probably just visiting family in Iowa. Otherwise I played a lot of card games in Interlaken, Switzerland
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bandettini
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
That one not so much
badge
Ohh that tickles
mbmbmb
I went to visit my brother in law and his family who live in Adelaide, Australia. Last night there we had a family game of Risk. It was a pretty dumb thing to do as we did not start until after 22:00 and finished around 2am. Why was it dumb? Because we had a 22 hour flight home the next day. Not the best way to prepare.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Koeppen
United States
Bellevue
Nebraska
flag msg tools
LEGO: Hopeful for new 'Castle' sets in 2015!
badge
Games: Regarding my favorite theme of 'Fantasy', I'm hoping for fewer 'card' games and more 'board' games.
mbmbmbmbmb
1.) I've only been out of the U.S. 3 times, and none of those times did I bring a boardgame.

2.) When I go on vacation it is usually to somewhere that I want to visit and take in the sites, so I've never brought a boardgame. A light game might be fun at night before bed, though. I'll have to remember to pack a little something for next time.

3.) No, I have never gamed with a complete stranger outside of an organized event. I am not opposed to it, but it just hasn't happened yet.

4.) The furthest away I have ever played a game is probably at least a state away. The majority of my gaming has been at a couple FLGSs, home, or the homes of friends. Sometimes when I visit relatives in other states we will play a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Lott
United States
Cheverly
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
4. Florence, Italy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Bass
United States
Venice
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played Mancala while in Kenya. My opponent was clearly better than me and beat me twice. On the third game, whenever I was about to make a bad move, he'd look at me and slightly shake his head until I moved my hand to the better pit. He basically let me win that 3rd game. We laughed about my "improvement".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blott wrote:
...furthest...[/b]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.