Subject: Lord of the Rings LCG, good choice for me or not? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jesper Hansen
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey there, due to the recent thread about the best coop game I refreshed my interest in the lotr lcg.

I've previously had a look at it, coop game and lotr, what can go wrong there?

I took a step back though cause I got Space Hulk: Death Angel and while its an ok game, its just that, OK, not great.

On the other hand I read some comments that the lotr lcg and Mage Knight (in the card combat fighting mechanic) were quite similar. I fricking love Mage Knights combat system..

So what do you guys think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben E
United Kingdom
Irthlingborough
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LOTR LCG is very good though can be expensive with all the sets out. I'd recommend just getting the starter set to try it out as it can be played solo and then deciding from there what to expand into. There are some good video reviews about on it so check those out with regards to how it plays.

I'd heartily recommend it if you like LOTR and the LCG format.

sauron

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Mölleken
Germany
45147 Essen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pouvla wrote:
On the other hand I read some comments that the lotr lcg and Mage Knight (in the card combat fighting mechanic) were quite similar.

Please forget that. They are not.

The question is... do you won't to play it solo or with another player?
Because if you want to play solo... you'll have to spend even more time with building your decks and tricking them out because the game gets much more difficult if you play solo. I like it as a coop game. I wanted to like it as a solo game too but... up to now I don't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Mage Knight and wanted to like LOTR, even bought a collection off someone with over 10 expansions in it. You are basically starting from scratch for every new quest you try or playing the same one over and over and that is very frustrating. I got tired of having to rebuild my decks plus the game is really difficult to beat most of the scenarios. Not to mention with every new expansion they are tweaking the rules so you will have an ever growint FAQ to contend with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Mölleken
Germany
45147 Essen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
plus the game is really difficult to beat most of the scenarios.

Often that's only the case when playing solo. It's the low number of heroes that's killing you. When you start playing solo, you have three heroes and will encounter 1 or 2 enemies in the first round. When playing with two players you will have 6 heroes in total and will encounter up to 2 or 3 enemies. Now if you are playing with 4, you have 12 heroes against 4-5 enemies max. Notice the difference in the hero-enemy ratio? Doesn't sound like much but it makes a really big difference.

Or if you think of the Dol Guldur scenario from the base game... When playing solo it takes away one third of all your heroes. When playing it with 4 players it's only one twelvth and that is a HUGE difference!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
Look at me!
badge
Get Schwifty!
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
I love Mage Knight and wanted to like LOTR, even bought a collection off someone with over 10 expansions in it. You are basically starting from scratch for every new quest you try or playing the same one over and over and that is very frustrating. I got tired of having to rebuild my decks plus the game is really difficult to beat most of the scenarios. Not to mention with every new expansion they are tweaking the rules so you will have an ever growint FAQ to contend with.

There is actually an option to carry on your progress between quests, but I don't know how anyone manages to accomplish this outside of the first few expansions...

But yes, Mage Knight and LOTR LCG are quite different. Only major thing they have in common is perhaps their difficulty.

I do think the LOTR LCG is the best LCG out, though I haven't tried Netrunner yet (A little turned off by all the hype). It's kind of a more advanced version of Space Hulk: Death Angel, so if you only thought that was okay, you may not be as wowed by the LOTR LCG. I agree with Thraxer though...you can always get the base set for pretty cheap to see how it plays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pouvla wrote:
On the other hand I read some comments that the lotr lcg and Mage Knight (in the card combat fighting mechanic) were quite similar. I fricking love Mage Knights combat system..

They really aren't similar, other than you have a hand of cards and have to decide how to divide your attack and defense based on the stats of whatever you are fighting.

LOTR's combat is closer to Magic: the Gathering - you have hero and ally cards in play, with various equipment and other enhancements attached to them that increase their combat values or give them additional abilities. Enemy cards come into play, and each turn, they attack a player. Additional cards are flipped from the encounter deck that modify the enemy's attack, and the player must decide how to use his characters to best block the attack, assigning damage to his characters and to the monsters.

It's a great game, and as has been mentioned is even better when played co-op instead of solo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
To really enjoy LotR LCG:

1. You must enjoy deck construction. You will spend (much?) more of your time constructing your deck than playing it. You will face more difficult and interesting decisions constructing your deck than playing it. You can assemble your deck from online recipes, if you wish.

2. You must be OK building a different deck for each scenario. You'll probably treat it like a video game, where you try a scenario, analyze why you failed, tweak your deck(s), and try again. And again. Then you'll try a different deck on that scenario, and tweak and repeat.

3. You must enjoy CCG-style card effects and interactions.

4. If you end up enjoying the game, you'll absolutely want to buy some expansions. Know that going in.

I didn't enjoy #1 or #2, and I found the card effects a bit complicated and fiddly at times. I'm happier with card effects at the level of Dominion (base game). As a result, LotR LCG hit the trade pile fairly quickly. I can definitely see its appeal if you enjoy what I described above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.