Hide
6 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: [WIP] Drama: A Social Simulation rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Yoder
msg tools
Hi folks, I'm new to this community, so please let me know if I'm breaking any protocol.

Drama is a card game for four or more players that attempts to simulate the social experience of high school. Over the course of four rounds, players attempt to receive the love of their peers, and consequently become the happiest, and most popular, student.

Rules and Cards

The game is played by giving other players cards with positive or negative values. By secretly giving a negative card, you might not be disliked in return. By openly giving a positive card, you might create pressure for them to reciprocate.

The rules should be fairly clear and simple—please let me know if they're not—but I believe they should produce an interesting variety of complex interactions.

I hope you'll give it a shot and let me know what you think!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's cool!

And as far as I can tell, the "role" cards are pretty arbitrary. You can play without them, but it certainly gives players an imaginary basis.

I'm wondering if the card Like/Dislike values are arbitrary ... or if you could use a poker deck as a proxy: hearts for likes, clubs for dislikes.

Quick questions:
-- can you look at the facedown cards you receive before the round is over?

-- can a player give 1 card faceup and another card facedown to the same player?

-- are the received cards mixed up to reduce easy deducing who-gave-what?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Yoder
msg tools
Stormtower wrote:
I'm wondering if the card Like/Dislike values are arbitrary ... or if you could use a poker deck as a proxy: hearts for likes, clubs for dislikes.

Quick questions:
-- can you look at the facedown cards you receive before the round is over?

-- can a player give 1 card faceup and another card facedown to the same player?

-- are the received cards mixed up to reduce easy deducing who-gave-what?

1. You should wait until all of the cards are played in a round before looking at what you've received (obviously if it's face up, you can look at it, though).

2. Players can give multiple cards to the same player in a round, but only one card per turn, so they could play one face down and one face up, I'm just not sure what the strategic value would be.

3. The players should mix up the cards they receive before looking.

These are all good questions that I'll make sure to revise in the rules. Thanks! A poker deck would also work for the emotion cards; I hadn't considered that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mclogenog wrote:

1. You should wait until all of the cards are played in a round before looking at what you've received (obviously if it's face up, you can look at it, though).

2. Players can give multiple cards to the same player in a round, but only one card per turn, so they could play one face down and one face up, I'm just not sure what the strategic value would be.

3. The players should mix up the cards they receive before looking.

These are all good questions that I'll make sure to revise in the rules. Thanks! A poker deck would also work for the emotion cards; I hadn't considered that.

The strategy:

I want to manipulate "Danny" to give me a Like. But I don't really want him to gain a point. So...
-- I tell everyone I'm giving "Danny" a Like.
-- On my turn, I give him a Like, face-up.
-- I tell Danny that he should give me Like in return.
-- I rely on the next few turns to have someone counteract that by giving Danny a face down card, or two...
-- When it is my turn again, I give him a Dislike, face-down. But I don't announce it, I'll act casual and just wink ... or wiggle my eyebrows...

... hmmm ... or maybe I should give him a face-down Dislike first, and call it a "Like". And then give him a face-up Like later on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the BGG.

Neet idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Yoder
msg tools
I've updated the rules based on some of the suggestions so far. Let me know what you think!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jj38y496qcaq8lk/Drama%20v1.pdf (the OP link is updated as well.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.