Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom McVey
United States
SF Bay Area
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
OK, my 9-year old kid really loved KublaCon, and wants to do another convention. KublaCon really impressed my with how well they were organized for kids.

So, I'd like to be a GM running board games at one of the Labor Day Bay Area conventions, 'cos I want to save $$$ and also I think being a GM would be fun, probably running Prophecy or Defenders of the Realm or some other light or co-op or adventure type boardgames.

Of the Bay Area Labor Day conventions (Pacificon and Celesticon), which is going to be the best for a parent doing a 6-hour stint as a GM?
Has KublaCon completely spoiled me in terms of kid-friendliness?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Neither Pacificon or Celesticon support smaller kids well. Both are almost exclusively aimed at adults.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McVey
United States
SF Bay Area
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I guess I realized that when I searched for "younger player" events at Pacificon and got...zip for Pacificon, and only one event for Celesticon (with a GM I know). Celesticon it may be, then, if any.

Both appear a bit thin on GM events, even for adults, compared to KublaCon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Both are smaller conventions, yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
They are significantly smaller cons. I've only been to Pacificon of those two, and yeah, there's nothing for kids. It is, however, basically across the street from Great America if you have a way to do some kind of "one parent at con, one parent takes kids to eat sugar, get spun around and throw up" kind of thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McVey
United States
SF Bay Area
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Spousal unit will be either in a class or visiting relatives that weekend, so while a great suggestion, it won't work for me.

Sounds like I should just skip it because either I'll have zero kids at a game session because nobody will take their kids or twenty-plus as all the kids at the convention descend on my session. Neither seems like a fun scenario.
Also, I don't want my kid to be put off going to conventions with me, and compared to marching through the convention shouting "Kubla!", either of these would be a big letdown.

So we'll have to wait for DunDracon in February. Good thing the weekly SF games meet-ups have been fairly kid-friendly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I don't recall Dundracon as being particularly kid-friendly/supportive either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McVey
United States
SF Bay Area
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for the advice, as it's been a long time since I went to Dundracon, myself.

Dundracon is showing 10 kids events in their database. Which is a lot better than the Labor Day conventions, even six months out. I may take the chance with Dundracon (if more kid's events are added), but Celesticon or Pacificon just don't have enough going on for kids for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott B
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mb
cferejohn wrote:
They are significantly smaller cons. I've only been to Pacificon of those two, and yeah, there's nothing for kids. It is, however, basically across the street from Great America if you have a way to do some kind of "one parent at con, one parent takes kids to eat sugar, get spun around and throw up" kind of thing.

Huh, that must be about 200 yards from where I work then...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David F
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
Luck in games, in measured doses, is the catalyst which enables shocking game-changers that you'll remember and talk about forever.
badge
Let the Lord of Chaos rule.
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the events database even up-to-date? I don't see any Strategy Games at all for Pacificon. It's usually pretty populated by now.

Maybe there'll be 1 young players event instead of 0, shrug.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Pacificon is heavily focused on wargames and miniature gaming. There is relatively little eurogaming. Dundracon is heavily focused on RPGs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McVey
United States
SF Bay Area
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
Pacificon is heavily focused on wargames and miniature gaming. There is relatively little eurogaming. Dundracon is heavily focused on RPGs.

That's OK, as the kid like RPGs as much as boardgames, and I'd be running Ameritrash adventure boardgames or a light RPG system anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Miller
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Tom,

I'm glad your child really loved KublaCon. My wife, Lisa and I been volunteering at KublaCon for many years. She works in the Prize Vault and I help the dealers in the Dealer Room. You might have seen us at the CelestiCon booth near the KublaCon Prize Vault this year.

We both are also the organizers for CelestiCon.

Steve Kani and Becky Thomas run the Young Players Room at KublaCon as well as the Young Players Room at CelestiCon. They both run an after school program for young gamers that involves gaming, and do a great job for both conventions. We will be getting more Young Player events on the web site this coming week, and welcome more submissions. Even when there are no organized games on the schedule Steve and Becky run "pick up" games for the young players like they do at KublaCon.

CelestiCon prides itself on being family friendly. We have a few families that have three generations of gamers coming to CelestiCon! And some people have commented on the higher than usual ratio of young gamers at CelestiCon as well.

I would love to see the games you would like to run at CelestiCon! Feel free to submit them at http://www.celesticon.com/Submit_Game.php.
As you noticed, Game Masters get a complimentary weekend pass to the convention.

If you have any other questions, feel free to contact me here, via geek mail or by emailing events@celesticon.com.

Thanks,
Kris Miller
CelestiCon Organizer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McVey
United States
SF Bay Area
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
When asked so elegantly, Kris - how can I refuse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Miller
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just as an update we have 9 organized events in the Young Player room, and 9 organized events in the Teen Room.

This doesn't count the unscheduled games both rooms put on constantly.

While we don't have a Kubla leading the children in yelling, we will have a Band of Orcs dressed up in costume for a live action game where children (of all ages) compete to steal as much loot from the orcs as possible. This is a "don't miss" event just for the costumes.

Cheers,
Kris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Patterson
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry to "necro" an older thread, but I was just searching for Pacificon out of curiosity.

This will be the third year I have brought my daughter (now 11) to Pacificon. I will also be bringing my 8-year old son this year. My daughter has LOVED the convention every year so far. The "Young Players Room", which currently only has Pathfinder RPG listed, is actually stocked with quite a few games and several volunteers that help coordinate games.

Also, some of the "main" games are child-friendly. Both of my kids can't wait to play Wooden Wars again this year. A couple of the Euro games are welcoming of children (especially if they already know the game or are a quick learner).

To sum it up, I have found Pacificon to be very welcoming of children. Please note that this is the only Con I have been to so I don't have any other reference frame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AbStrateGyk
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see that Qwirkle! Is the only abstract strategy game being played at Celesticon. I believe that is kid friendly and can be played up to 4 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.