Subject: [Brainstorming] 2013 Solitaire Print and Play Contest rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lizzie
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
designer
“Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed.” ― G.K. Chesterton
badge
A Hug a Day keeps the Doctor away!
mbmbmbmbmb
So I am hoping to try my hand at designing a solitaire game for this years contest. Rules and other entries can be found at the thread:- 2013 Solitaire Print and Play Contest

I really need a title... suggestions welcome.

The general idea is:

A paragraph driven adventure game. You start off being sent to do run an errand but while you are away disaster! your family are kidnapped? and you are alone in the world. You can try and track them and free them or you could try finding help and companions to aid you. I hoped this would give you enough of a you against the world feel to make a good solo game. I am thinking of going fairly dark/horror.

I have a couple of mechanisms I'm thinking of including from games...

Mansions of Madness - I like the idea that intelligence relates to how quickly you can solve a puzzle. (If you haven't played it the puzzles are sliding pieces around and how many pieces you can slide on your turn is determined by your intelligence so if you have a higher intelligence then you are more likely to be able to solve the puzzle in one turn.)

3:16 Carnage Amongst the Stars - I like the system for how stats work. (If you haven't had a go, it is a wonderfully silly game, but you have a stat between 1 and 10, you roll a d10 and if you get less than or equal to your stat you succeed, but this means there can also be levels of success where a 2 is still a success but a 4 may be a better success.

As for stats I was thinking of pairing them up and giving people an amount to distribute between the two stats in each pair (one is more body the other more mind) though it has been suggested that giving pre-designed characters is a good idea.

Strength
Courage
Physical
Quickness
Charm
Pace
Flexibility
Intelligence
Dexterity

And then some hit points.

For example:

x.y
You hear some one coming do you

Look calm and try to charm them - Roll Charm
-Fail - go to 2.1
-Suceed (less than or equal to 4) - go to 3.6
-Suceed (greater than 4) - go to 4.7

Run in the other direction - Roll Pace
-Fail - go to 2.2
-Suceed - go to 3.9

Hide - go to 1.2

So if you try to charm your way with whoever is coming you might fail, or you might just manage to persuade them that you are meant to be there or you might do such a good job they will give you extra information/let you access another area. While if you run away you either run fast enough or you don't.

I was thinking of using LaTeX to write it as it can keep track of where paragraphs end up if I use the labels. Has anyone else tried this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lizzie
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
designer
“Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed.” ― G.K. Chesterton
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Reserved
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My last attempt at a multi-step questing game:
(WIP) Mice 'n' Men : Adventures (Print-and-Play; For 1-4 players; 45-90 mins)

The gist of that:
-- You pick 1 or 2 character cards

Each turn, you draw adventure cards. An adventure card has independent features:
-- Location Features
-- Randomizer
-- Challenge and Reward

During your turn, you ...
-- discard cards to designate travelling to those Location Features.
-- play a card to activate a Challenge matching at least one of those Location Features.
-- resolve the challenge, using the Randomizers on yet more cards from your hand, plus the stats on your character cards
-- gain the Reward (card gets added to your tableau)

Rewards can be:
-- equipment (boosts stats)
-- people (adds characters)
-- unlock the next part of a quest

(edit ... just noticed that you're going for a paragraph driven game...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fin coe
United States
Chicago
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thematically: Are you thinking more lighthearted (I'm reminded of Neil Gaiman's forthcoming Fortunately The Milk), gritty survival, or true horror?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking forward to this.

Did you see the tool for paragraph-driven games I posted in the contest discussion thread some month ago? One of the supported output formats is LaTeX. Perhaps something you could use or steal some ideas from? It can be customized easily with your own tags to generate LaTeX that might even be possible to abuse to make tables and such that is not built-in (yet?).

https://github.com/lifelike/gamebookformat
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lizzie
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for looking

Fin Coe - I'm not yet sure, I was leaning towards dark, but lightly humorous is my base state for life so it might not turn out that way.

Pelle - genius! Yes I read that when you posted it but had forgotten where I had seen it and couldn't work out why I was thinking of LaTeX (other than it being awesome) thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lizzie
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a quick mock-up of the player sheet.

Player Sheet

I am working on writing the first few bits, but that obviously takes longer before I can share anything with you guys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
How's this coming?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
If given the option, I would prefer to play with the green pieces, please.
badge
I have two new 9 Card Games: 300 Spartans and Franky's 1st Christmas
mbmbmbmbmb
The entry deadline for the 2013 Solitaire Print and Play Contest is Midnight (MST) October 5th. Will this game be complete by that time? If not, the game will be removed from the entry list but will be eligible to be entered in next year's contest.

Thanks! I hope to see more about this game soon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lizzie
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm afraid life got incredibly busy and I didn't have anywhere near enough time to write this, but I look forward to looking at the other entries and will try and get it done for next year
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls