Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
22 Posts

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set» Forums » General

Subject: Couple of Concerns rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brother Leon
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
I paid 100 GG for this thinking it was a Geek Badge...
mb
As a lover of solo play card games i am well and truly stoked by the mechanics, theme and apparent depth of this game. Well done to the designers/publishers for creating what looks like a sound engine for a card-driven RPG with no GM required.

Two points i wanted to raise with other BGG'ers:

- Marking check boxes: Seriously? Do i want to draw on my cards? won't this damage them? Is there a way round this (using a pad and paper or something?)
- Check, Check, Check: I know RPGs are built on checks but this game seems very dicey indeed. Sounds like Arkham Horror without the board (but with more checks) if i don't LOVE the check mechanic; will i still like this game?

Grateful for views/debate
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Jackson
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think there's a lot of ways around checking the boxes on your cards. You can sleeve them and just mark the sleeves. Or you can make mini character sheets, which I'm sure someone will do and post on BGG.

Also, if you watched the gameplay video, while it seemed like there are a lot of dice involved, there are ways to mitigate the luck. (Primarily by adding dice, which you might not like, but it does improve the consistency.) And doing that means you would have to make tough decisions, since using cards costs you HP, and denies you the opportunity to use the boost later in the session.

And there's a bit of a press-your-luck mechanic at play. Since you have a limited amount of time to corner and defeat the villain, using cards to explore a location more than once is going to be important. But again, cards cost you HP and you have to consider whether you can beat two or more checks with a given hand.

Personally, I think the meat of the game during sessions is going to be these decisions. The dice just give them teeth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hank B
United States
Arlington Heights
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I plan on sleeving the cards you mark on, then buying little stickers or something to mark the boxes the person checks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nevin Ball
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure a creative person here on BGG will create something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Covert
United States
Lexington
KY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hank34 wrote:
I plan on sleeving the cards you mark on, then buying little stickers or something to mark the boxes the person checks.

From the gameplay video, it looks like only the character cards have the checkboxes. I would suggest clear sleeves and wet-erase markers. I used dry-erase markers with the D&D miniatures games to check as single-use abilities were consumed, and that worked wonderfully in a session. Since these are multi-session adjustments, I'd suggest the wet-erase, as they'll be a little more permanent.

ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Clarkson
United States
Watertown
NEW YORK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CovertDad wrote:
Hank34 wrote:

From the gameplay video, it looks like only the character cards have the checkboxes. I would suggest clear sleeves and wet-erase markers. I used dry-erase markers with the D&D miniatures games to check as single-use abilities were consumed, and that worked wonderfully in a session. Since these are multi-session adjustments, I'd suggest the wet-erase, as they'll be a little more permanent.

ninja

This is exactly what my friends and I did with the D&D mini game also and it worked very well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Francis
United States
Portsmouth
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hank34 wrote:

I like that idea! Little gold stars or something
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scan and print spares.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dicky P
United Kingdom
West
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ninjadorg wrote:
Scan and print spares.

Slight variation.

Scan, compile all sides of an individual character onto one page, repeat for each character, print spares (or laminate)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradford Lounsberry
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ninjadorg wrote:
Scan and print spares.

That is what I am planning on doing. Scan the card, print it out in color and slide it into the sleeve with the hero. I can have all the functionality of a markable card without damaging the actual card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hank B
United States
Arlington Heights
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gnomoarigato wrote:
Hank34 wrote:

I like that idea! Little gold stars or something

Yup... that or little colored dots.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hank B
United States
Arlington Heights
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CovertDad wrote:
Hank34 wrote:

ninja

I'm worried about having the marker rub off on the other non-sleeved cards, which is why I'm going with stickers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Bauer
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
Colored baggies for your games, www.boardgamestorage.com.
badge
Colored baggies for your games, www.boardgamestorage.com.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hank34 wrote:
I'm worried about having the marker rub off on the other non-sleeved cards, which is why I'm going with stickers.

My plan is to sleeve the cards that you would mark and use a permanent marker (Sharpee). Then toss the sleeve if I want to reset.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dallas Honeycutt
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mb
ninjadorg wrote:
Scan and print spares.

This is likely what I will be doing myself. I will probably spend some time when I first get the game making three or four copies of each of the character cards and just using those as the characters.......

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brother Leon
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mb
that's a great idea.

And regarding the checks - i think there is another other stuff going on to make it ok.

2 more things:

- one character solo play: seems like you can just cheat? what gives? Is this gonna be like playing LOTR LCG with one hero (i.e. near impossible) or Arkham horror with one investigator? i'll probably play with 2 or 3 but the rulebook mention of solo play is really weird

- second point is hard for me to articulate: some of the cards should be alphabetized and some should be shuffled. If i am up to Adventure 4 in the adventure path, and, for whatever reason i want to start again from adventure one, will i need to breakdown the randomized card to split out any which came from the later adventures? Or are the scenario-specific cards all contained in the adventure decks and everything else which is generic is one-size-fits all for all the adventures? does that question make sense??

PS - anybody got a card count breakdown to share?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Corbin
United States
Tallahassee
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
they will be making PDF's of the heroes available by the time of release, so at least the concern about writing on the cards has been addressed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nssxxx wrote:
that's a great idea.

And regarding the checks - i think there is another other stuff going on to make it ok.

2 more things:

- one character solo play: seems like you can just cheat? what gives? Is this gonna be like playing LOTR LCG with one hero (i.e. near impossible) or Arkham horror with one investigator? i'll probably play with 2 or 3 but the rulebook mention of solo play is really weird

- second point is hard for me to articulate: some of the cards should be alphabetized and some should be shuffled. If i am up to Adventure 4 in the adventure path, and, for whatever reason i want to start again from adventure one, will i need to breakdown the randomized card to split out any which came from the later adventures? Or are the scenario-specific cards all contained in the adventure decks and everything else which is generic is one-size-fits all for all the adventures? does that question make sense??

PS - anybody got a card count breakdown to share?

Cheat at solo play? If you want to, but who are you cheating? Not sure the concern here. Isn't the opportunity there to cheat in any solo game?

All cards are labeled, B, C, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, or 6, depending if they come in the base set, character add on pack, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, or 6th expansion. It should be fairly easy to remove cards from the latter adventures when you go back. The later adventures will have better loot and tougher foes, so you will want to go back.

I believe they mentioned the base set having 385 cards and each expansion having 110 cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brother Leon
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mb
i've never cheated at a solo game; but the rules give you license to skip cards if they are too tough. Who decides on too tough?

re: the cards, i reckon its gonna be annoying once the whole box is full and you want to start again. But if the new adventure packs do not contain the random items/allies etc. which bulk out the location decks, this won't be an issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nssxxx wrote:
i've never cheated at a solo game; but the rules give you license to skip cards if they are too tough. Who decides on too tough?

re: the cards, i reckon its gonna be annoying once the whole box is full and you want to start again. But if the new adventure packs do not contain the random items/allies etc. which bulk out the location decks, this won't be an issue.

Ahh, I see what you mean now. I guess, you make that decision if you get stuck. Do what is most fun.

The expansion will contain new cards for the locations. It has been suggested that at some point you will remove the base set cards. Luckily the cards are clearly labeled as to what set they are in, it should be fairly easy to split up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brother Leon
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mb
hmmm - i'm not covinced it's not an issue

i'll tell you once i've purchased evrything..! shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Throknor
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's more like if you are playing a fighter type and draw something that requires 30 arcana (just an out-there example, stay with me). Something where it's obvious that you have a very low percentage of passing. The idea is that rather than wasting the time on something impossible, or giving completely reshuffling everything, just randomly replace the card with one that there's a shot to overcome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think for the first few games at least I'll just take the hit on those tougher solo encounters rather than 'cheating' or fishing for another card instead. After all, there are plenty of 'You Lose' type cards in other games like Arkham Horror and Castle Ravenloft - and in this game you can just start the mission again with the same dude if you lose (and don't die).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.