Subject: Queen games Kickstarter rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Topher
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
It's your father's fault that the curse got placed and the place got cursed in the first place!
badge
May the odds be ever in your favor.
mbmbmbmbmb
I know there've been a lot of issues with regards to Queen games and Kickstarter recently (re: Dark, Darker, Darkest), and while I wasn't personally involved in that campaign, I just got an annoying email regarding their campaign for Speculation. The pledge level I chose gave me a copy of that game plus a copy of San Francisco Cable Car, which had been out of print and I was excited to see it come back. In fact, that was the primary reason I backed Speculation (while that looks like a fine game, I was drawn in by SFCC).

Then today, I received an email stating that SFCC was out of stock and they couldn't ship it to me with Speculation. The only available options were

1. Receive a copy of Kingdom Builder and Alhambra New York Edition
2. Receive a copy of Edo and Alhambra New York Edition
3. Receive a refund of $30 via Paypal

While I understand that many issues can plague a campaign, I cannot see any reason why this supposedly newly reprinted game is out of stock before they ship anything out!

I had some issues originally with an established company continuing to use Kickstarter, but thought that this would make the end result "safer." That is clearly not the case and I have to say that Queen Games has officially crossed the line for me, and while they produce good quality games, I will never back them on KS again, and will think twice before purchasing anything from them in the future.

[As an aside, ironically my husband back DDD and did not add $$ to his pledge to get a copy of Metro, because of the fact that I was getting SFCC. Only makes me more upset.]

EDIT: See update below
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Speicher
United States
Potomac Falls
VIRGINIA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i'd propose a counter offer, don't think many folks want the alhambra New york edition

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Shinners
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
That, my friends, is called a Bait and Switch.

Queen Games just keeps becoming less and less friendly to their customers. I've sold off all my Queen Games games, and I don't plan on supporting them in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Thomas
United States
Langhorne
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"I will take love wherever I find it, and offer it to everyone who will take it. Seek knowledge from those wiser, and teach those who wish to learn." -Duane Allman
mbmbmbmbmb
At the very least a $70 complete refund should have been one of the offers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Topher
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
It's your father's fault that the curse got placed and the place got cursed in the first place!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MusicToEat wrote:
At the very least a $70 complete refund should have been one of the offers.

I made that my counter offer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Bazler
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
"Come, and trip it as you go..."
badge
"...on the light fantastic toe."
mbmbmbmbmb
I would only add to this that my appreciation for QG has been even further eroded by the DDD KS campaign, which was an absolute joke. QG took minis from the base game, advertised long before the KS campaign, and made them into wildly ambitious ($150,000-$200,000) stretch goals. When most people caught on to their scheme and the KS stalled, suddenly they lowered the stretch goals, it still stalled, and then they just offered them up for free, with new goals in their place.

It was obvious that they had always intended these stretch goals to be included whether they were unlocked or not. They proved it when, right after the campaign ended, they also gave away the final two locked stretch goals for free, "as a gift to their supporters." Yeah right.

Never again, Queen Games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Perez
United States
Garland
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
At least you are not waiting for the Edo Expansion. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MattShinners wrote:

They are not asking him to pay more for a higher prices item, that my friends is not Bait and Switch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
djhopscotch wrote:
MattShinners wrote:

They are not asking him to pay more for a higher prices item, that my friends is not Bait and Switch.

Bait & switch does not require that the switch be to a higher priced item. Simply removing the bait, which was an add-on, is still bait & switch. Whether's it's intentional or not is another thing. I don't really get the vitriol toward Queen Games over it. They had a limited number of ecah game. What's so surprising about that? But yeah, they should refund the whole thing if they can't produce what was ordered.

I'm not a fan of the way they put their games on Kickstarter, but I still like the games produced by Queen Games. But I simply don't support their Kickstarters. Seems easy enough to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Topher
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
I don't really get the vitriol toward Queen Games over it. They had a limited number of ecah game. What's so surprising about that? But yeah, they should refund the whole thing if they can't produce what was ordered.

Well, if there were a limited supply, they should have made a limited number available for the KS campaign. It's just poor management, and does not look good for the company. One shouldn't find out about this problem six months later and right before shipping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Thomas
United States
Langhorne
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"I will take love wherever I find it, and offer it to everyone who will take it. Seek knowledge from those wiser, and teach those who wish to learn." -Duane Allman
mbmbmbmbmb
They did limit it. The pledge level was limited to 100 backers, they only sold 25. Ironically, the bottom of the description states, "We accept no variations to this pledge level." Guess they meant they only except variations that they make.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Topherman wrote:
It's just poor management, and does not look good for the company. One shouldn't find out about this problem six months later and right before shipping.

I certainly agree with that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shawn
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Connor Cranston
Netherlands
Rotterdam
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh Good. This is what I was afraid of.

I pledged for Speculation as well, mainly to get the Alhambra Big Box (and have Speculation as a bonus). Since I choose for an Essen pick-up I was afraid I would get the German version of the Alhambra Big Box, so I asked if it would be the English version and Nikki (Queen Games) said it would.

I just ever since have this feeling that come October, there will only be German version available at Essen and they'll give me the "Sucks-to-be-you"-attitude.

Especially since my experience with them last year at Essen.

Now granted, they did try to apologize for their behaviour last year by sending me a free game (Show Manager), which was appreciated. Their games do look beautiful and great quality. But still....when looking at their KS campaigns, their way of communicating....I dunnow, it just all leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

@OP, keep us updated?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rajive Gupta
Germany
flag msg tools
publisher
Connor,

You can have a choice for Alhambra Big Box which will be available in the Dutch, English or French Rules.

Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Edo is a pretty good game though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Topher
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UPDATE:

I think everything has been resolved with Queen games regarding this issue. Apparently there was a problem with the reprint of Cable Car, leading to a significant delay. They offered not just to give me one of the three options I listed above (and I still chose the $30 refund), but to also ship me Cable Car when it came out, even though they are not yet sure of the timeline with that.

So in the end, while the communication was muddled and I think Queen Games should work on that, they definitely redeemed themselves. I am still waiting to hear when I will receive the refund, but other than that, I am satisfied with the result. (And still backed Speculation, as I feel that Queen games did a respectable job of taking care of the issue ultimately.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Perez
United States
Garland
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Add on to it Edo the expansion is being sent out.

We were told 5 days after the fact they started shipping. Queen's biggest flaw is communication with its backers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Wilson
England
DARLINGTON
Co Durham
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Phasmtis wrote:
Queen's biggest flaw is communication with its backers.

I am tempted to disagree : a) my personal kickstarter copy of Urbanization arrived a week AFTER I received stock into my shop; b) both Urbanization and Lancaster were so badly packed that they both had split edges to the box lid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Theuerkaufer
Germany
Freiburg
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been a year since you started this thread. Meanwhile I have backed 6 Queen games campaigns: Fresco Big Box, Alhambra Big Box, Kingdom Builder Big Box, Tortuga, Templar and right now I am in the final hours of the Escape Bigbox. The only game I received so far is Templar. I got it in time and hassle-free.

Communication during the latest campaigns was a 7 or 8 out of 10. Most of the time all questions were replied in time. It seems as they have some team members for the specific job of answering or forwarding backer questions to the company. As I mentioned before, this works pretty well during an active campaign. As soon as the campaign ends, there is almost no communication and the guys doing the "support job" move on to the next Queen Games campaign.

This is what makes me sad. I'd love to see a regular support, no matter if it is for an active campaign or a campaign that is over but not yet delivered. It also seems as if the support guys are freelancers with pretty lose working hours. From time to time it happens that they don't answer questions in time due to excuses like private issues (moving, family trouble etc.) While I fully understand that these things cost energy and time, I don't see why this should be of any concern for the customer. A job is a job and has to be done.

Queen is successful with their campaigns and they raise a lot of money. What I wish for is that a proper and fully paid support team is part of their strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.