Steven Heinrich
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Contact me to play a RPG forum game!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I ordered the game since it is clearance $20, tax and shipping took it to $29, still a pretty good deal.

It arrives with the box top taped on with four pieces of office supply tape!!!! It is NOT shrink wrapped and there are pieces missing! I took pictures and have witnesses.

I contact Walmart, and they tell me to send them the "manufac. #'s and date of production and serial #" I responded by informing them that it is a BOARDGAME not a COMPUTER...I couldn't find that information on the game, I also requested that if indeed there was such information for that game, could they tell me where to find it on/in the box.

They only responded to ship it back to them or to contact Eagle games for the pieces. I told them that I don't feel that it is Eagle Games responsibility for something that obviously occured in their warehouse. They also did not give me a shipping number to send it back, which meant I had to pay to send it back to them, and knowing that company, most likely I would have to pay to get the replacement copy.

I thanked them for their lack of customer service and that they had indeed lived up to their reputation for putting the customers last and that I will NEVER step foot in one of their stores again.

(Sorry, had to rant)shake

Anyone else get a bad copy of the game from them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Cross
United States
Atkinson
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
As much as I dislike Walmart, it may not be completely their fault. I don't think Eagle Games shrinkwrapped Blood Feud. Every new copy I have ever seen simply has four pieces of tape holding the box closed. I don't know if that helps or makes it worse...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Me
United States
Bowling Green
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know Walmart has a very liberal return policy. And I know ToysRUs takes things back at their local store that were ordered online, so maybe Walmart does too. Maybe you could try that...well, if you hadn't made that promise about not stepping into their store again. : )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Loop
United States
Issaquah
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No comments on Walmart.
I don't think Blood Feud ever came in shrink. Box and tape is how I think they were all packed.

Eagle is the distributor not the publisher, but thier Customer Support is first rate - drop them a line.

Peter

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Roth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ditto on the tape holding the top on all the new copies. I've seen this game in several stores and it has never been in shrinkwrap-always just four pieces of tape. My copy from Walmart also arrived with only four pieces of tape.

What pieces are missing? If memory serves me correct, all of my pieces came in prepackaged plastic bags. I would suggest contacting Eagle Games-they have pretty good customer service

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Ditto on the office tape being the way this one is packaged.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Reiners
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is really bizarre. why wouldnt they shrink wrap the game?

STill plan on buying this by the way, even though I'd be getting it from evil incarnate Walmart.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Bender
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I purchased a copy of Blood Feud from our local game store several months ago and it came with 4 pieces of tape holding the box together, just as you have described.

I've also ordered a copy of Blood Feud from Walmart for the low price of $15. As you've described, I expect it also to come un-shrinkwrapped with 4 pieces of tape holding the box together.

I'm not a big fan of Walmart, but in this case they did nothing wrong.

However, according to their website you should be able to return the product for a refund if you are unhappy.

But if you need replacement pieces you should contact Eagle Games. I do not know what their policy is about replacing missing pieces, but they do sell replacement parts for Blood Feud on their website (money, figures, dice, etc).

http://www.coeytech.com/secure/eaglegames/store/index.cfm?pg...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow - there's no bigger Eagle supporter (read: fanboy / apologist) around BGG than me, but after reading this thread, I have to say I'm shocked that Eagle distributed a game where the box was not shrinkwrapped, but taped shut?!!? TAPED SHUT! Whose lame-brained idea was that? It's not like the cost of shrinkwrapping was going to be a deal-killer when pricing the game to the market, right? Come on - that's amateur hour! I hope this a practice that stops with this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Low
Australia
Footscray
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My copy of Hannibal: Rome vs Carthage was bought brand new. It wasn't shrinkwrapped and was only held together by TWO (count them, 2!!!) pieces of tape by the sides.

Do you see me complaining?

Seriously, if you had actually done some research, you'd have realise that Blood Feud was only ever taped together. The game wasn't made by eagle. It was picked up by them for distribution.

Anyway, email Eagle and they'll get the pieces to you.

I know people all want to bag Wal Mart. If you don't like them, just don't buy from them. Problem solved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Welcome Rolling Stones
Latvia
Bullshit
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Walmart is evil.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Me
United States
Bowling Green
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Blood Feud from Walmart
Ok, we may as well get this transferred to off-topic, or locked, or whatever:

Walmart effectively gave everyone in my town a wage increase when it came to town due to their lower prices.

If you have a philosophical need to pay more for your things, shop Sears - 'Where America Used to Shop!'

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Johnson
United States
Salem
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm with David on this one. What's the deal with beating up on Wal-Mart? I don't get it. Did they commit some horrible, unspeakable act or something? Seems like everyone around BGG has some gripe with them, but it is never clear why. Can someone enlighten me? I am actually being serious and not sarcastic this time. I didn't hear about any wrong-doings by Wal-Mart in the news or anything. I'd love to know what's going on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Wilson
United States
Northampton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My copy came from Walmart online, and inside a much larger box, was an sufficiently secured BFinNY game, itself held-together with 4 pieces of tape.

No damage by Walmart, that's for sure. But as for the game's components, the "Penthouse Palaces", more than 3/4 are warped into the shapes of bananas... contacted Eagle games via email (through their web form and through regular email)... that was 4 days ago, not even a confirmation email in reply.

I thought Eagle had such a great service reputation?

Eagle emailed me today, Amy got right on the component issue, and Keith emailed me with a parts manifest. OK, so now I know for myself, they completely rock.

Oh, and I received an extra counter sheet, to boot!

UPDATE:

Parts received in record-time from Eagle games. They rock. All the thread-author had to do was contact Eagle. He would have had his parts by the time he even got a chance to post this thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SwedeLad wrote:
What's the deal with beating up on Wal-Mart? I don't get it. Did they commit some horrible, unspeakable act or something? Seems like everyone around BGG has some gripe with them, but it is never clear why. Can someone enlighten me? I am actually being serious and not sarcastic this time. I didn't hear about any wrong-doings by Wal-Mart in the news or anything. I'd love to know what's going on.

There have been literally documentaries made about how WalMart is the most powerful and generous corporation in the world, AND how it is the most degenerate. You can find books on either subject as well.

On the positive, they donate more to charity than any organization in the world.

On the bad, they will aggressively and systematically lower prices in an effort to bankrupt. If the second largest store in town is a supermarket, and then theres a paint center, the nearest Walmart will lower to insane prices on the Supermarket items until that business collapses. Then they will restore those prices and lower the paint prices.

They have been legally charged with underpaying employees, once the competition is gone, firing them and rehiring them at lower wages.

The list continues on with other unsavory practices, which they mask behind policies that make them a #1 corporation.

Go find the documentaries - one plus and one minus - that came out last year in the same month. It's bizarre.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Canar
United States
Des Plaines
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Blood Feud from Walmart (Caution!!!!!)Well,
Well,

I'm not for or against Walmart. I shop where I shop based on price and convenience, wether that be online, FLGS, discount store, mom and pop, etc... And I think all these debates on here about FLGS vs. Mailorder vs. Walmart vs. TrUs etc... are silly. The bottom line is the overwhelming majority of us are buying games where and when we can afford them.

As far as the Walmart thing goes, it generally boils down to whether or not Walmart is good for the local/national economy. Having grown up in a *very* small town, I've seen what happened when a Walmart shows up in terms of shutting down small, local businesses. I'm not saying this is good or bad, but it does happen. There are those who think this is "bad" (lost businesses) and those that think this is "good" (cheaper access to more goods).

Then there are those concerned about their hiring practices, which boils down to hiring alot of part-time folks with little to no benefits. Again, "good" because people who wouldn't otherwise work are working and "bad" because people are underpaid and/or exploited. Take your pick.

And finally, their super buying power of products manufactured overseas is "good" because of increased access to ever increasingly cheaper products or "bad" because it shifts manufacturing from US to foreign countries (and all that goes along with this).

Take your pick on which side you want to be on. As near as I can tell, there are intelligent arguements on both sides of the coin. Gaming is an anti-establishment hobby, so folks here are gonna be anti-establishment so it's expected people will rant about a company like walmart.

If you have an opportunity, take a look at:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/walmart/

I don't know that it's entirely "balanced" but it's an interesting documentary nonetheless.

"Frontline: Is Wal-Mart Good for America? offers two starkly contrasting
images: one of empty storefronts in Circleville, Ohio, where the local TV manufacturing plant has closed down; the other a sea of high rises in the South China boomtown of Shenzhen. For Wal-Mart, China has become the
cheapest, most reliable production platform in the world, the source of up to $25 billion in annual imports that help the company deliver everyday low prices to 100 million customers a week. But while some economists credit Wal-Mart’s single-minded focus on low costs with helping contain U.S. inflation, others charge that the company is the main force driving the massive overseas shift to China in the production of American consumer goods, resulting in hundreds of thousands of lost jobs and a lower standard of living here at home."

I also believe the LA Times did a long series on Walmart, China, and it's impact on our economy. Too lazy to look that one up right now but I believe they won the Pulitzer either last year or the year before that for the story. So search for LA Times, Walmart, and Pulitzer and you should be able to pull up relevant links.

hth,
jeff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Pranno
United States
Chardon
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
And I think all these debates on here about FLGS vs. Mailorder vs. Walmart vs. TrUs etc... are silly.

I agree with this statement, but it just now dawned on me the potential hyprocrisy to be had for those that would rather shop online for games and not support the local FLGS versus those that do not want to shop at WalMart and would rather support the mom-and-pop's store. The comparison is not a perfect analogy, but it is close enough for me.

Switching gears a little bit...

Taking a single regular-sized can of Pringles for example... when I can buy one at WalMart for 85 cents, and the same item cost me $1.00 (ON SALE!!!) at the local Giant Eagle (which by my definition, is still NOT a mom-and-pop's), the choice is a no-brainer. If you want to spend 17.6% more for your junk food, go right ahead. For, those of us single-income families with children to feed and dare to watch our non-discretionary budget, 17.6% is a huge difference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasey Relford
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not that I actually think more than two of you might care about my opinions or personal biases, but I completely stopped going to Wal-Mart and will only shop at Target now.

The reasons were simple for me:

1. I got really tired of having to step over piles of merchandise and filthy kids in the aisles.

2. I was fed up with spending 15 minutes trying to find someone to answer a pricing or stock question, only to realise that I was only going to receive an answer in Spanish.

3. TERRIBLE customer service. Never in my life have I felt so miserable for interrupting some lady's chat break with my selfish need to return damaged merchandise.

After doing several of my own little price checks, I found that not only does Target offer fairly competitive prices [sometimes cheaper, depending on the occasional "sale"], but I feel better [and cleaner] after having shopped there. Nicer employees, cleaner stores, etc.

I'm not ignorant enough to assume that every region of the world has the same problems with employee morale/organization. But, having shopped at many different locations in several very different regions of the metro Atlanta area, I feel that I have seen a widely representative sampling of the two chain stores.

For me it has nothing at all to do with any sort of anti-establishment or anti-consumerism aspect, but more informed personal preference.

K

p.s. Again, I *DID* order Blood Feud in New York [$15] online. No kids to step over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Where I am, the WalMarts are pristine compared to Target. I think thats just store to store, not company wide.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You know, when blasting Wal-mart, most people seem to talk about how it negatively effects "Ma & Pa" business--which may be true. Much more interesting, however, is what Wal-mart does to the people it actually does business with (i.e., manufacturers and suppliers). There's no doubt at all that Wal-mart is a great thing for consumers, but take a look at this:

http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/77/walmart.html

That is the most eye-opening information I've found on the subject. A really, really good read.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Where I am, the WalMarts are pristine compared to Target. I think thats just store to store, not company wide.

Let's compromise and say region wide. laugh
My wife is a connoisseur of Targets, so I've been dragged to a lot of them both here in the midwest and while travelling. They always seem to be pretty clean, well lit and comfortable (not looming overhead or too close together) shelving system. Their clothes areas are often jampacked (can't fit cart through comfortably), but that seems to be true everywhere. Walmart (the backup plan along with Kmart when Target is too far away) seem to have more variation. Many are dirty, but almost all have the warehouse look.

My beef with Walmart is that they (and/or the developer) are threatening to sue our township, if we don't change our zoning and master plan to allow 50,000+ sq. ft. stores and residential lots averaging less than 1 acre (another part of the proposed development). The area they've selected is close to the freeway, but otherwise a horrible location for intensive development and the resulting traffic.

Specifically for the proposed Walmart and Home Depot (the two superstores proposed) there are other existing stores within 10 and 8 miles down the freeway (easily within 15 minutes almost any time of day). Our township has deliberately zoned to not allow regional draws. We'd like the stores to be sufficient to supply local traffic, but not draw in from the surrounding areas.

It seems to me that should be up to the people that live there and threatening a large budget for litigation shouldn't be a legitimate tactic to change the voter's opinion.

Back on topic, sorry about your damaged game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Apex
CT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I have boycotted Walmart and shop at Target instead for many of the same reasons Kasey stated. However, Walmart being a huge driver for the trade deficit, having crappy business practices and lowering the standard of living in the US are probably the biggest reasons.

Oh, and yes, Walmart is evil.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich S
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
madhatter wrote:
My wife and I have boycotted Walmart and shop at Target instead for many of the same reasons Kasey stated. However, Walmart being a huge driver for the trade deficit, having crappy business practices and lowering the standard of living in the US are probably the biggest reasons.

Oh, and yes, Walmart is evil.

What most people don't realize is that Target does everything that Walmart does yet dosen't get the headlines because they are #2. If Target were #1 then they would get all of the headlines. Anyone who shifts from Walmart to Target for economic reasons has done no good whatsoever. In fact I saw a headline that Walmart is increasing its medical benifits which would make them better than Target.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwsparks
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
When the bullet hits the bone!
mbmbmbmbmb
I avoid Walmart as much as humanly possible, but I still find myself going in there to look for Heroscape expansions and such.

Walmart's price-driven business practices are great for the consumer in the short term, but in the long term they hurt everyone. They've been instrumental in driving American manufacturing overseas, while at the same time undercutting their competition whenever they can.

My in-laws live in a small town that used to have seven grocery stores, before the Super Walmart opened. Now they have two grocery stores, including the Walmart.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Pranno
United States
Chardon
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
They've been instrumental in driving American manufacturing overseas, while at the same time undercutting their competition whenever they can.

If WalMart wasn't doing this, someone else would be. Unless U.S. laws change, marketplace "efficiency" is the natural progresssion. So you really can't blame WalMart for catering to a legal market, can you? What you should be doing is petitioning third world countries to force their workers to work for higher rates. Is that realistic?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.