Han Solo
msg tools
Hi folks,

First of all: I have never played the game (yet); I've read the rules, perused some forums, played the original Risk, and am a seasoned strategy board game player - but I'll play my first game of Risk Legacy next week. I'll substitute for another player (for game 10).

The scenario: (see below). Two of the players clearly dominate the game. I was asked (by the big shots, btw) to use my guest appearance to 'lead the revolution', if you will. They're afraid that the game will become boring, if the other guys don't start leveling the playing field.

My Question: So, what should I do? I'll be a wild card in this game, having no personal interest in how the game progresses after this session. But I would like to achieve two things: Help to level the playing field (i.e., prevent the two big shots from winning) and... have some fun!
So, what I'm looking for is advice concerning strategy, some neat little tricks...
Any help would be highly appreciated!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Pratt
United States
Snohomish
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: How to be a wild card
Which packs are opened makes a big difference. As does the board modifications.

I'm going to assume though that the leaders have tweaked the board a fair bit to help them.

The first thing to do is to organize the players to deny the leaders prime continents for starting positions.

Odds are that they've signed one or more continents already. Make sure that they can't start in those, or that if they do, one of the other players also starts there directly in their way (starting close is risky as it makes the HQs more vulnerable, but it strangles initial expansion if done right).

Scar the areas that favor them with the nastiest scars you can come up with - make their good locations worse for future games.

Do they have preferred factions? Deny them those. Leave them with the ones that have few good stickers or the real bad stickers.

And at all costs, the three of you need to deny them continent bonuses. All three of you need to be willing to seriously hurt yourselves to make them weaker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My approach, since you're the new guy, would be to let the regulars dictate the tone of the game. They've played a bunch of games together so you'd be kind of a jerk if you just came in and started making the group conform to what you think it should be--you're joining their group. Same for strategies as presumably the seasoned players should know that game and players better than you.

That said, I would be certainly gunning against the 2 players who have won 3 times--I might not exclusively attack them, but I'd do whatever I could to keep them from winning their 4 game. Any alliances or helpful advice with the 2 weaker players would be definitely in line with that. I certainly wouldn't just give the game away as I'd be trying to win, but I'd definitely focus on attacking the 2 strong players. There's not really any specific advice to give as it all depends on the particulars of the game, but do whatever you can to get them.

And yes, have some fun with it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Go to the files section, find the bonus cards, print them and put them in an envelope, take it with you!

(Not only will it shake things up, they're a great leveler for when one or two players have a stranglehold on the board.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Han Solo
msg tools
Update: I got them to fill out the tracker table, so now I should have all relevant information:

Enclave of the Bear
Faction Power: Defender subtracts 1 from lower defense die in first territory you attack
Comeback Power: Resourceful
Missile Power: Rally

Saharan Republic
Faction Power: You can make your maneuver at any point during your turn
Comeback Power: Stealthy
Missile Power: EMP

Die Mechaniker
Faction power: starting HQ is always treated as FORTIFIED
Comeback Power: Well-Supplied
Missile Power: Bad Intel
ALIEN COLLABORATOR
BRINGER OF NUCLEAR FIRE

Khan Industries
Faction Power: At the start of your turn, place one troop in each territory that has an HQ you control.
Comeback Power: -
Missile Power: Interference
Weakness Scars: Unpopular

Imperial Balkania
Faction Power: When recruiting troops, round up when dividing your territory and population by 3, not down.
Comeback Power: Well-Armed
Missile Power: Recon

Mutants
Weakness Scar: Primitive
??? Attacker‘s 6 beats defender’s 6 (why is this?)

Alien Island: Connects Argentina with East Australia, 3 Resources

Yellow (5)
Alaska: X X X, Minor City, Bunker
Northwest Territory: X X
Greenland: X, Ammo short
Alberta: X, Biohazard
Ontario: X X, Bunker
Eastern Canada: X X
Western United States: X X
Eastern United States: X
Central America: X X X

Orange (2)
Venezuela: X, Major City (P1), Mercenaries
Peru: X, Minor City
Brazil: X X X, Major City (P2)
Argentina: X, Mercenaries

Blue (5)
Icland: X
Scandinavia: X
Russia: X X, Minor City
Great Britain: X
Northern Europe: X
Western Europe: X
Southern Europe: X X

Brown (3)
North Africa: X X, Minor City
Egypt: X X, Ammo short
East Africa: X, Ammo short
Central Africa: X
South Africa: X X, Minor City
Madagascar: X X X

Green (7)
Ural: X
Siberia: X X
Yakutz: X X X X, Biohazard
Kamchatka: X X X X
Irkutsk: X
Japan: X, Minor City
Mongolia: X X
China: X, Minor City
Afghanistan: FALLOUT ZONE
Middle East: X X X
India: X, Minor City
Southeast Asia: X X X, Major City (P1), Biohazard

Grey (2)
Indonesia: X, Minor City, Mercenaries
New Guinea: X
Western Australia: X X
Eastern Australia: X

P.S.: They do have the (german) bonus pack.
P.P.S.: @Dave: Of course I'm going to let them set the tone of the game. It's their game, after all. Plus, how else are they going to mistake me for a weak player until it's too late? devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hauke Mewes
msg tools
mb
Well, what I first noticed is the concentration of the resources to Asia, in combination with the mutant faction this could be something really nasty for your opponents. On the other hand, the primitive scar is the worst one IMO.
If you manage to start in South America with the Aliens or the bonus card which allows you to get a Major City as a starting location, you also have pretty good chances to win the game.
Just two possibilities for which you have to take care and you may choose.
DerWaldschrat

P.S.: Why always Afghanistan as Fallout zone? We have that too

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Han Solo
msg tools
Thanks for the tips. One Question, though: I see how the Ambassador/Botschafter could get you into S.A., but how could the Aliens start there (to reiterate, I've not yet played the game, so probably I'm overlooking something simple here...)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hauke Mewes
msg tools
mb
Well, its quite simple: You just need either Ambassador or Nomad to start in South America, but if you have the Aliens, this gives you two advantages for this starting location:
- You have the Alien Island nearby.
- You can move into the major cities without loosing any troops.

Of course, this combination is not that easy to get, and to make matters worse, it could happen that although you have chosen the Ambassador / Nomad, one of the city owners starts there before you do. But then you can just start in the Alien Island, and attack the South American player very fast in order to get the mercenaries and maybe even the whole continent + HQ.

If you do not want to play with such a special strategy: The starting units are relatively strong IMO

And to your question of the mutant´s power:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
There are two events which make the mutants evolve, so the get one of this for hidden powers. The one you have there can be really nasty, especially if you have some rockets...

DerWaldschrat

P.S.: Are you from Germany?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Han Solo
msg tools
Ah, thanks! The problem is that I cannot be sure whether or not the Bonus cards will be used or not - apparently the group decides from session to session and some people are very opposed to using them (guess who...).
Any advice concerning not-S.A.-based strategies?
And yes, I am german (as is the our game, so if there are differences between the german and english version that would be good to know, too).
In any case, thanks to everyone who replied!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hauke Mewes
msg tools
mb
Well, me too, so here are the major differences: There is a mistranslation concerning the behaviour of the mutants, hope your group adopted the English rules there. Otherwise the mutants are very strange...
Then, in the German version, you are not allowed to move troops to and into the Fallout zone, while in the English one you are not allowed to move troops through it or place troops in it at the beginning of your turn.
Then, in German there is an event which allows a player with the biggest population either to place some troops in his cities or take a new event card randomly, in the English version you are allowed to choose it.
Guess that were the major mistakes.
But ask whether they have adopted some of the original rules, because we adopted the first and third rule, while we left the second (well, it did not matter in any game )
DerWaldschrat

P.S.: You can try to insist on playing with the bonus cards, since an opened envelope is an opened envelope

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.