Anthony Varrone
msg tools
So i have only played descent a few times and generally we play a 1v1 game two heroes vs overlord. Generally i used a dps / healer. This time i want to try getting rid of the heals and going with a little more on the damage end, they just don't seem worth it in the 2 hero games anymore.

In any event i'd like some tips on a good duo of heroes i want to put out a good amount of dmg and still be able to survive a bit. (note i don't really want to use a familiar so if you could exclude those i'd appreciate it) thanks in advance.

we're playing standard descent 2nd edition, not including the exp just yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say going in without a Healer is potentially making it tougher on yourself than you want, but if you're committed to that idea, I'd perhaps go with Knight + Runemaster.

The Knight has a lot of good defensive skills, and also Advance, which is one of the best skills in the game, essentially granting two actions for the cost of just one Fatigue.

The Runemaster has some of the best DPS in the game, and since you're intent on running without a Healer, Ghost Armor is a good way to keep the Runemaster alive.

If you have the Conversion Kit, I'd recommend Nanok of the Blade or Lord Hawthorne for your Knight, then Jaes the Exile or Mad Carthos for your Runemaster (Carthos's ability as written--and confirmed by FFG--allows for one point of Ghost Armor to be used for free, even if he invoked his ability during his turn earlier that same round).

If you don't have the Conversion Kit, then I'd go with Syndrael as the Knight and Leoric as the Runemaster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Varrone
msg tools
i don't HAVE to go without a healer i was just reading that some people say high dps is a good defense in 2 hero games... however if i were to go healer which do you recommend ... and which dpser would you suggest with it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Reeve
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
Looking for a game session in Switzerland? Send me a pm!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry for the show of my deep ignorance, but what is a DPS?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Varrone
msg tools
Robin wrote:

damage per second... so basically a damage dealer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Reeve
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
Looking for a game session in Switzerland? Send me a pm!
mbmbmbmbmb
Servindix wrote:
Robin wrote:

damage per second... so basically a damage dealer
Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Servindix wrote:
i don't HAVE to go without a healer i was just reading that some people say high dps is a good defense in 2 hero games... however if i were to go healer which do you recommend ... and which dpser would you suggest with it?

You still haven't mentioned which components you have at your disposal. Just the base game? Lair of the Wyrm? Labyrinth of Ruin? Conversion Kit? Which characters/classes you have access to makes a big difference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Varrone
msg tools
i am just playing with the core descent 2 edition with the 8 heroes.
Avric Albright
ashrian
leoric
widow
tomble
jain
grisband
Syndrael

right now i'm planning on doing Avric - desciple, and for my damage leoric - runemaster, OR jain - wildlander.

what do you think works out better. being able to make the OL discard sounds awesome but is the runemasters dmg output way better blast seems amazing

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I'd go with the Runemaster. Exploding Rune, Rune Mastery, and Runic Sorcery are all incredibly useful. Ghost Armor is more useful than it originally seems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasuya Meshima
msg tools
Well, firstly I'd say that you could play with 3 or 4 heroes (preferentially 4), so you avoid this group building issues... and the game is more fun with more heroes, IMO.

But, if you really wanna play a two heroes game, ok, I'd go with Syndrael as Knight (choose mostly the DEFENSIVE power, they're awesome - and give her a chain mail as fast as you can) and Widow as Runemaster (you cannot trust a lot in a DPS, because if you get some crucial bad die rollings, you are going to have a REAL hard time, so hers re-rolling ability is almost essential, and Ghost Armor for win - it's really a good power).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pygmy shrew
msg tools
Dexter345 wrote:
I'd say going in without a Healer is potentially making it tougher on yourself than you want, but if you're committed to that idea, I'd perhaps go with Knight + Runemaster.

I also wanted to see if the disciple is mandatory and me and my friend chose those exact decks. So far we have lost both missions after introduction, but the first one was pretty close. It really seems at least one player has to play disciple for there to be a chance. But I haven't tried the overlord card discarding deck yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Herman
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We tried Syndrael as Knight with Leoric as Necromancer (we thought the undead as an "additional hero" would be good), but the heroes only won one out of five scenarios so far.

The OL uses a lot of traps to mess with the heroes turns, and the lack of healing abilities means that once a hero got knocked down, he will likely be knocked down again soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Howlinpelle Almquist
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I played a 2 hero-game with mad carthos as Necro and Laurel as a wildlander (2 heroes with only 8 hearts). The lack of healing abilities, low life, low strenght made nearly every quest hard to win. My strategy was high damage output. but bad luck in the shopping phase leads to no good weapons for my wildlander...

But quests went nearly always like this:
In the first encounter heroes lost some life, in the second encounter sometimes only 1 monster attack leads then to a knocked out hero. And once a hero in a 2-player game is knocked out...

especially because these two heroes had low strength (1 and 2) and low life, poison dart and other traps were strong against these two heroes.

And in some quests where a strengh test was essential for the win, i had no chance....

So my advice is to use one healer. try to use heroes with a little bit more defence power to survive at least 2 lucky monsterhits (more life than 8 or some defence abilites) and try to have all stats (strength, awareness etc.) at least once at 3 if possible. This is easíer to achieve with the conversion kit...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding attribute tests, one of the best things you could do to make sure they're not an issue is to use Lindel or Arvel Worldwalker, and they get even better if you're running one of them as a Thief (since Thief starts with a Lucky Charm).

However, you sacrifice a lot of damage output this way, and especially if your other hero is a Healer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Howlinpelle Almquist
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Dexter345 wrote:
Regarding attribute tests, one of the best things you could do to make sure they're not an issue is to use Lindel or Arvel Worldwalker, and they get even better if you're running one of them as a Thief (since Thief starts with a Lucky Charm).

However, you sacrifice a lot of damage output this way, and especially if your other hero is a Healer.

Agreed!

I think especially in a two hero game you have to make sacrifices. You will never get high damage output, healing abilities, good defence, good in atribute tests and an improved search output only with two heroes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Flumontanus
Germany
München
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I had best expierience with Carthos as Necromancer and Syndrael as Knight.
First of all IMO in a 2 Player, you need Damage Output rather than healing, because the overlord has fewer minions - and so they are faster/easier to kill.
Second it makes sense to choose Syndrael rather than any other Warrior hero because of her feat. In almost every Quest SPEED is the key to win. So with her feat you got that covered combined with a solid defenser.

Now for Carthos: yes I'm also convinced that the Runemaster is the better class (especially in act 2) BUT in a two player the Zombie of the Necro is the key: he gets killed not that often than in a four player because the overlord simple hasn't that many minions - and if he decides to kill the zombie he wastes at least one attack on him - better than just absorb just one damage like ghost armor. Second reason: having so few figure in general (heroes and OL) one Zombie extenses your pool of figures by 50%. In a four player it would be 25%.
And my last an final point the skilling: 1) Carthos gets the zombie for free so that's nice, then use the Vampiric skill to give him am extra yellow dice (after 2. Level of act 1 !!!), then get the fury of the undead thing (sorry just got the german version) and you get an extra attack with your zombie for free due to Carthos Ability!! Then you don't even need to buy expensive weapons for him, just a solid armor so he get's killed less and Bingo

So my thought about that
Greetz
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Howlinpelle Almquist
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Then play the LoR-campaign with a Necromancer and a Beastmaster. Then you have 2 Heroes, 1 Wolf, 1 Reanimate and Serena/Raithen. Makes a total of 5 Figueres on board

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
And make your Necromancer Challara so Brightblaze is also on the board (though technically not a figure).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Flumontanus
Germany
München
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You guys get, that I'm not talking about just having many (extra) Figures on the board for the fun of it, but that the value of them is way higher in 2 Hero Game than in a 4 Hero Game, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Howlinpelle Almquist
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I got that

I had the same Idea in my mind with Mad Carthos as Necromancer in my first 2 hero game. Didn't find any armor in the shopping steps during first Act so it was very hard to stay alive with him...

I think in a 2 hero game only 3 shopping cards during shopping step is to less, because these 2 heroes often find nothing useful and have in addition a smaller chance to get the treasurechest while searching...

In my second 2-hero campaign I played LoR with Nara as Beastmaster. Damn goblin witchers cursed Nara very early in first encounter and with a knowlege of 1 it was nearly impossible to get rid of it, so for the rest of the quest i couldnt resummon my wolf (The Overlord concentrated his attacks on hero nr. 2 and focused on the objective) and that really hurts. The second hero was Okaluk and Rakash (is the Name correct?) as a disciple. Same idea to maximize the actions. always 4 movementpoints semms to me to have always 2 actions for attacks or other questrelevant stuff. And i choose the raithen path to have someone who helps searching.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.