30 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: A CCG recommendation for kids? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Rausch
msg tools
In my late teens and early 20's I played Magic casually and enjoyed it.

It got me to thinking that a CCG would be something that would be fun to play with my 7 year old son and near-10 year old daughter.

But it's been a looong time. Is Magic still the CCG to play? Or are there more elegant examples out there?

Perhaps Pokemon CCG?

I am open to any and all recommendations.

Thanks all
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Petersen
Denmark
Svendborg
flag msg tools
badge
The bigger the problem, the bigger a hammer you'll need!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not saying "CCG - no way!", but why a CCG, when there is other great card games, of the LCG format? My thought is, well I don't know your wallet, that it might get quite expensive.

EDIT: Fat fingers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd personally be loath to introduce kids to the collectable aspect of a game, but you know what's best for your children.

But if you're a Magic fan, you really can't go wrong with building a "Cube" and playing with just that limited pool of cards.

Summoner Wars is a really good game that has some of the same concepts as Magic - gathering magical power to summon creatures and sending them after your opponent. It's also very customizable and there is a lot of variety to the different factions you can play. Best of all, it's inexpensive and easy to teach.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thankfully living card games(LCGs) are around now as I wouldn't want to deal with kids or even myself getting into CCGs. Probably one of the easier expandable games to get into would be Summoner Wars although it might be a bit heavy for a seven year old. You can check out Watch It Played to see an instruction video on it and a full gameplay over a number of videos.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL189336052F027A32
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh you seekers of the new who run terrified from history into the clutches of an eternal life where no electric shaver can be built to last.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
    Pokemon was the correct choice a year ago. It attracts boys and girls and has a significant following and great support. However, it's in the middle of a huge revision, and cards prior to 2012 are essentially worthless when playing with modern cards. The game has turned into more of a nuclear war than a tactical one so now acquiring rare cards is a big part of the gameplay.

So here's my recommendation -- hit yard sales and purchase old Pokemon cards. For $50 you could be awash in them and have a great playing experience with your kids for years. My three boys (now 13, 10, and 10) have been playing for about six years and have gotten great enjoyment out of the game. Very well designed, very competitive, really lives up to the CCG concept where emergent strategies appear by the mixing and matching of cards.

I did a Pokemon birthday party two years back where we bought starter decks for all the kids and taught all of them how to play simultaneously (14 kids!) and had them playing against each other in under 30 minutes.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cyrus the Great
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Magic is the serious CCG of choice. If you control yourself, it is superior to any LCG (except maybe Netrunner, but that is a very different game.)

WOTC makes a CCG aimed at a younger audience called Kaijudo. It has good reviews and many MTG staff worked on its design.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Rausch
msg tools
Sorry,

In my novice understanding I thought CCG's were the only game in town.

Basically I am looking for a card game where each of you have a deck and play off against each other. I thought that there were only CCG. I had not heard the term "Living Card Game" before I read your replies. So thank you for teaching me that.

I will do some more research.

But yes.. I can certainly do without the Collectible part of the whole thing... more the gameplay I am looking for
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ebon Hawk
United States
Janesville
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Harry Potter CCG Wizards put out is pretty good for that age ranges if they like the books/movies. It is kind of an easier version of MTG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eðvarð Hilmarsson
Iceland
Reykjavik
Reykjavik
flag msg tools
Cthulhu whispers to me when I sleep......
badge
Cthulhu whispers to me when I sleep......
mbmbmbmbmb
Blood Bowl: Team Manager – The Card Game is my older daughters (age 11 now, but she started playing it at age 10) favorite card based game. Its a bit unusual since its not a deck builder, but you get everything you need in the box and dont need to expand it.

I have not been able to get the kids to play The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game and LLC thing, its a co-op so I was hoping it would be a hit with them. This is a deck builder and might be more fun then direct confrontation due to the co-op nature of it. The deck building aspect turned off my kids on that one though.

Android: Netrunner is not a game I have, its also an LLC but with some stellar reviews (2 player game). Depending on your kids, they might like or dislike the confrontational nature of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Basham
United States
Brownsville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
How about Omen: A Reign of War? It was designed to play like a CCG, but with all the goods in one box. There's a new edition in the preorder stage, and it's being offered at a great price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Crane
United States
State Center
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaijudo is a super fun game with artwork that is guaranteed to attract kids and adults.

I've always found the Magic artwork to be pretty boring and Kaijudo/Duel Masters is a light version of Magic with cooler monsters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Acton
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I second the recommendation for Summoner Wars. It's my 10 year old son's favourite game. Lots of different decks you can try playing, very easy to learn and quick to play (20-30 minutes per game if both people know the rules) Downside is it really is only a 2 player game.

Another suggestion for card battle (although not CCG) is Wiz-War

Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Lent
United States
Novato
California
flag msg tools
badge
DEFINITELY A GOOD GUY, GUYS
mbmbmbmbmb
Android: Netrunner

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Petrison
United States
Westfield
Indiana
flag msg tools
It looks like some people recommend Android: Netrunner for anything.

This sounds like a job for Smash Up, maybe? The art and theme is great for kids in that age bracket, and they can put together their own decks by choosing two smaller decks and shuffling them together. What kid doesn't want to mix together pirates and ninjas, or zombies and wizards? It's much simpler than Summoner Wars and doesn't really have direct conflict. If you are into collecting, there is already one expansion out with more sure to come. But unlike Magic, this whole enterprise won't even cost you $50 for everything.

If you don't know of deckbuilding games like Dominion, you may want to look into that style of game. You start out with just a few cards and then build, or "collect", your deck of cards by buying better cards with cheaper cards. I feel like it has everything appealing about Magic, without being so consumerist. Everyone starts with the same meager set of cards, but can still build their deck into anything they like and their own unique play style. Plus, it will be a lot easier for a 7 year-old to learn than Magic.

Both of these games are good for anywhere between 2 and 4 players, and both work great with 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil P
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have tried to introduce my 7 year old daughter to card effects games and realized LCG/CCG are too heavy for young kids. Too much mechanics, too much different effects...

My best shot for now are Dominion (to get familiar with card effects) and Summoner Wars (for asymetric decks). Those are 2 cards games she really enjoy playing with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Netrunner is a bit full on for kids first ccg/lcg type game imo.

I'm not a huge fan of it myself, but Summoner Wars would be an excellent starter game.

Magic the Gathering definitely works as I've taught young brothers and sisters to play it without any issue. If you're just playing it at home, ignore the collectible obsessive side of it and just get enough cards to build some equal strength decks etc. Or by a cube etc.

Dominion is another good recommendation.

I've not played Smash Up but one of my mates kids seem to enjoy it heaps. It's definitely worth a look.

I enjoy Blood Bowl Team Manager as well, although it might be a slightly different formula from what you are looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Moskop
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since it hasn't been mentioned yet, Ascension: Deckbuilding Game might be a fun, easy-to-learn alternative as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Rausch
msg tools
Thanks everybody for the many, many great suggestions. I have a lot of research to read up on for sure.

My daughter adored the Potter books, so I will start my reading there, and then move on to Smash Up and the others.

Thanks again, really appreciate it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Petrison
United States
Westfield
Indiana
flag msg tools
Two more recommendations to look into:

Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game - Dice Tower Review

Sentinels of the Multiverse - Dice Tower Review

Both of these are similar in that they are cooperative Comic/Superhero games, where everyone is working together to battle one villain. Marvel is similar to Dominion though, and is a deckbuilder, while with Sentinels everyone has one deck of cards that differs depending on which hero you want. Legendary also has real comic book heroes, while Sentinels has all made up heroes and villains, which actually is my favorite aspect of the game.

Here are the other three games that I would say are worth looking into that I'm familiar with.

Smash Up - Dice Tower Review

Dominion - Dice Tower Review

Summoner Wars - Dice Tower Review
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Saruwatari
United States
Arroyo Grande
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It has become popular to hate on magic, but there is still many good reasons to stick with it. It has a large player base, large pool of cards and lots of rules support. It has the fastest set up of any good strategy game and takes up little space. You can work on your deck by yourself and be proud when you play it. My friends' grade school age kids pick up magic easily and are able to grasp other strategy games easier having played magic. Dominion is a good self-contained alternative or addition if magic is overwhelming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian O'Toole
Australia
Queens Park
WA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Summoner Wars. A friend of mine runs an after school game group for high school kids, and they LOVE it. It's also one of my favourite games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Chelsea
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GrimThunderbrew wrote:
It has become popular to hate on magic, but there is still many good reasons to stick with it. It has a large player base, large pool of cards and lots of rules support. It has the fastest set up of any good strategy game and takes up little space. You can work on your deck by yourself and be proud when you play it. My friends' grade school age kids pick up magic easily and are able to grasp other strategy games easier having played magic. Dominion is a good self-contained alternative or addition if magic is overwhelming.

Magic is still the best card game around. I love games such as summoner wars, Mage wars, netrunner, lord of the rings LCG etc but magic gets played 10x more than all of those combined, and I play board and card games 2-5 nights a week.

I agree with what grim has to say in that magic is popular to hate on. People's main reason for this is the fact that you have to spend a ton of money to be competitive. Truth is, kitchen counter magic is still excellent, and its not like your kids are going to be entering tournaments any time soon.

I think 7 and 10 is a little young for magic, so I would suggest a board/card game such as Legendary instead, but don't discount magic. It's still the reigning champ and most popular game around for a reason.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dougan
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
davidernst11 wrote:
Two more recommendations to look into:

Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game - Dice Tower Review

Sentinels of the Multiverse - Dice Tower Review

Both of these are similar in that they are cooperative Comic/Superhero games, where everyone is working together to battle one villain. Marvel is similar to Dominion though, and is a deckbuilder, while with Sentinels everyone has one deck of cards that differs depending on which hero you want. Legendary also has real comic book heroes, while Sentinels has all made up heroes and villains, which actually is my favorite aspect of the game.

I'll second the recommendation for Sentinels -- it's currently my 7-year-old's favorite game, to the point of annoying my wife. Also, the guys at Greater Than Games have somehow managed to create a fake comic book line that makes me wish they were real, so that I could read them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
the Yellow Sign?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ignore the recommendations for Android: Netrunner with kids of that age. Really it will be too intense to be over their head.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Formisano
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think two games will fit your request.

Summoner Wars: good (simple) strategy game, using card instead of miniatures. Lots of prebuilded decks, lots of different troops (all with their unique strong/weak points and strategies).

Mage Wars (only seen never played): Like a "Magic the Gathering" without the collectable aspect. Two mages (you can choose the specialization of your "avatar"), that fight each other in a small arena. Fully customizable.

I think Mage Wars is more mature as a theme (both fantasy themed) and mechanics.

I discourage buying a ccg, expecially for young children. Too much competition (and cost).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.