W J
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
I played my first game of cosmic encounter + incursion with Mercenary, Virus, Amoeba (me), Symbiote, and Zombie.

I have a couple of questions about rules that really muddled up the game:

1) When the alien power refers to only applying when you are the Main player, that means as the main offensive or main defensive correct? So any non-ally role. If this is the case, I used Amoeba wrong because I only used his power when I was attacking (thinking by main player it meant ONLY during your turn).

2) Mercenary massacred us. His power allows him to always draw from the deck in a winning encounter. Our mercenary only drew from the defender rewards deck and got all these powerful cards. How could we have countered him? Should we have countered his ability by never inviting him to ally on offense? Is he only allowed to draw from cosmic deck and did we play it wrong by allowing him to draw from the rewards deck? Related to this, for other alien powers that allow a card draw from the "deck" that means they can't draw from rewards deck correct? Any other aliens besides Mercenary that can draw from the rewards deck NOT as a defensive ally bonus?

3)Is there any limit to artifact cards being stacked (played one after another)? For example, can you have 4 different cosmic zaps and counter card zaps played all negating each other? And can anyone (not even involved in the encounter as an ally or main player) contribute cards at any time for cosmic zap or card zap?

Similarly, can you stack reinforcement cards (1 player playing 2 or more reinforcement cards)?

4) How can you get back your home planets? As amoeba, I made a gigantic mistake and sent all my ships to warp. Thus I lost my alien power and no home colonies. To regain my alien power, I need 3 home colonies on 3 different planets correct? Is the only way I can do this is hope my luck is with me and draw my own player color 3 times? This seems very unlikely.

5) If I understand Zombie's power correctly, you would basically ALWAYS want to ally with offense or defense on every possible turn correct? And always send the max of 4 ships? Since you never truly risk anything because you will always get your ships back. (unless you wanted a certain overpowered player to lose)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Franco
United States
Maplewood
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
If you could touch the alien sand and hear the cries of strange birds and watch them wheel in another sky, would that satisfy you?
mbmbmbmbmb
letopeto wrote:
I played my first game of cosmic encounter + incursion with Mercenary, Virus, Amoeba (me), Symbiote, and Zombie.

Cool.

letopeto wrote:
1) When the alien power refers to only applying when you are the Main player, that means as the main offensive or main defensive correct? So any non-ally role. If this is the case, I used Amoeba wrong because I only used his power when I was attacking (thinking by main player it meant ONLY during your turn).

You can use it defensively, even to abandon a planet. Main player means offense or defense.

letopeto wrote:
2) Mercenary massacred us. His power allows him to always draw from the deck in a winning encounter. Our mercenary only drew from the defender rewards deck and got all these powerful cards. How could we have countered him? Should we have countered his ability by never inviting him to ally on offense? Is he only allowed to draw from cosmic deck and did we play it wrong by allowing him to draw from the rewards deck? Related to this, for other alien powers that allow a card draw from the "deck" that means they can't draw from rewards deck correct? Any other aliens besides Mercenary that can draw from the rewards deck NOT as a defensive ally bonus?

If someone get's a double bonus from being an ally, I would try to make him an ally less, unless I absolutely needed to ally with him (to prevent a game loss as the defense, for example).

His power allows him to "gain defender reward as though you were a defensive ally". This includes the rewards deck, since defending allies can draw from it.

letopeto wrote:
3)Is there any limit to artifact cards being stacked (played one after another)? For example, can you have 4 different cosmic zaps and counter card zaps played all negating each other? And can anyone (not even involved in the encounter as an ally or main player) contribute cards at any time for cosmic zap or card zap?

There is no limit for zaps played in response, as long as they are zapping the right things. For all artifacts (and flares and powers), refer to the bottom of the card to see if the timing is legal and the player is legal. (The zaps should all say any player and any phase.)

letopeto wrote:
Similarly, can you stack reinforcement cards (1 player playing 2 or more reinforcement cards)?

Yes, but you have to be involved in the encounter as a main player or ally. Note that you do not have to reinforce your side. (This is important with powers like Antimatter or Loser.)

letopeto wrote:
4) How can you get back your home planets? As amoeba, I made a gigantic mistake and sent all my ships to warp. Thus I lost my alien power and no home colonies. To regain my alien power, I need 3 home colonies on 3 different planets correct? Is the only way I can do this is hope my luck is with me and draw my own player color 3 times? This seems very unlikely.

You can regain a planet by drawing your own Destiny color. By doing so, you can attack another opponent on one of your home planets, or you may reclaim an empty planet. This is not on the Destiny card, but is in the rule book:

Page 7 wrote:
When drawing his or her own color, if a player has a home planet with no ships on it at all (enemy or otherwise), then he or she may aim the hyperspace gate at that planet to automatically re-establish a colony there with up to four ships from other colonies. Doing so counts as a successful encounter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Bennett
United States
Rougemont
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Play. Always.
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Pretty sure Main player is both as attacker or defender, but don't have the rules in front of me. The term is defined in there, though.

2) Not sure on this one as I don't know the rules on the Defender Rewards deck.

3) No, play all you want.

4) Yep, draw your own color on your turn. Don't lose your planets!

It's been a LONG time since I've played any CE, so someone may come along and whip me into shape.

Ninjad with MUCH better answers, but at least I was right!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Filpus
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
letopeto wrote:

I have a couple of questions about rules that really muddled up the game:

Correct. "Offense Only" is the keyword for powers that only work on your turn.

Quote:

[q]3)Is there any limit to artifact cards being stacked (played one after another)? For example, can you have 4 different cosmic zaps and counter card zaps played all negating each other? And can anyone (not even involved in the encounter as an ally or main player) contribute cards at any time for cosmic zap or card zap?

A Cosmic Zap doesn't work on other Artifacts. But you have player 1 play a Cosmic Zap, player 2 Card Zap the Cosmic Zap, player 3 Card Zap the Card Zap, and then player 4 Card Zap the second Card Zap. If there weren't any more Card Zaps, the Cosmic Zap would be canceled, and then someone with another Cosmic Zap could try Zapping the power again.

Cosmic and Card Zap are both "As Any Player," so you don't need to be involved in the encounter to use them.

Quote:

Yes.

Quote:
4) How can you get back your home planets? As amoeba, I made a gigantic mistake and sent all my ships to warp. Thus I lost my alien power and no home colonies. To regain my alien power, I need 3 home colonies on 3 different planets correct?

Correct.

Quote:
Is the only way I can do this is hope my luck is with me and draw my own player color 3 times? This seems very unlikely.

That is pretty unlikely. You can also regain home colonies by making a deal with somebody with a colony on one of the planets where you don't have one, or a couple different cards that explicitly let you gain a colony or regain a home colony.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Franco
United States
Maplewood
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
If you could touch the alien sand and hear the cries of strange birds and watch them wheel in another sky, would that satisfy you?
mbmbmbmbmb
GregF wrote:
Quote:
Is the only way I can do this is hope my luck is with me and draw my own player color 3 times? This seems very unlikely.

You can also regain home colonies by making a deal with somebody with a colony on one of the planets where you don't have one

This is a great point that is also easy to forget.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
letopeto wrote:
Our mercenary only drew from the defender rewards deck and got all these powerful cards. How could we have countered him?

One way is to attack/defend him with Negotiate to get to draw his good cards as compensation.

(And ask him to ally, then lose the encounter deliberately.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Homer Simpson
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
logopolys wrote:
You can regain a planet by drawing your own Destiny color or a Wild.

You can't regain your planet by drawing a Wild destiny.

Wild wrote:
Have an encounter with any other player of your choice in his or her home system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W J
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
I don't get this point. Are you saying that if Virus had a colony on one of my home planets, and I was negotiating with him, I could ask to place a ship on my own home planet he has his colony on?

Also the alien power loss happens when you have less than 3 home colonies correct? Not less than 3 colonies in general (home or foreign)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Homer Simpson
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes and yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W J
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Wait so that means that as long as the player I am negotiating with has a colony on ANY planet, I can ask to place a ship to join his colony?

Thus, say blue had a ship on purple's home planet, making it his foreign colony. I am negotiating with blue and ask him to place my ship on purple's home planet and can do so because he staked out a ship there?

Even though purple was not involved in the encounter at all?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Homer Simpson
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Exactly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W J
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mind blown. Thanks. I dont ever recall reading this in the rulebook but the rule book isn't very organized. I'll have to reread it again for the fifth time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Homer Simpson
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait, it's get better. If you are negotiating with blue, he can't offer you a colony on a blue planet he hasn't have a colony on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Franco
United States
Maplewood
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
homertve wrote:
logopolys wrote:
You can regain a planet by drawing your own Destiny color or a Wild.

You can't regain your planet by drawing a Wild destiny.

Wild wrote:
Have an encounter with any other player of your choice in his or her home system.

True enough. I was thinking of something else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W J
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
If I understand Zombie's power correctly, you would basically ALWAYS want to ally with offense or defense on every possible turn correct? And always send the max of 4 ships? Since you never truly risk anything because you will always get your ships back. (unless you wanted a certain overpowered player to lose)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
↓ first, last name ↓
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
letopeto wrote:
If I understand Zombie's power correctly, you would basically ALWAYS want to ally with offense or defense on every possible turn correct? And always send the max of 4 ships? Since you never truly risk anything because you will always get your ships back. (unless you wanted a certain overpowered player to lose)

Pretty much. You still have to be invited, of course. You also have to weigh other factors, like which side you want to win the encounter, or if somebody is going to do something out of the ordinary with powers/flares/artifacts that you'd rather not have happen. For examples: Void, Fungus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.