Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set» Forums » Rules

Subject: Some rules questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Scutt
United Kingdom
Matlock
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a couple of questions after reading the rulebook (I fear they may be the first of many):

Is it really the case that any player can play cards that affect a check I'm making regardless of whether they're in the same location as me? (this seems counter-intuitive and unrealistic, is it only Blessings that can do this?)

In the Example at the end of the rulebook - when Ezren uses the Acid Arrow, couldn't he have made a check to recharge it rather than discarding it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Knobbly Savage
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. I'm pretty sure in the Watch it Played-preview, they said that that is something that usually only applies to blessings - I think it is possible that there will be high-level spells that will also allow you to affect other locations, but those we would probably not see until the end of the adventure path.

I do think you are right about the Acid Arrow, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dicky P
United Kingdom
West
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Steerpike wrote:

In the Example at the end of the rulebook - when Ezren uses the Acid Arrow, couldn't he have made a check to recharge it rather than discarding it?

I agree, I was expecting the game turn example to extend to capture a recharge check example and acid arrow would have been perfect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Forster
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Steerpike wrote:

Is it really the case that any player can play cards that affect a check I'm making regardless of whether they're in the same location as me? (this seems counter-intuitive and unrealistic, is it only Blessings that can do this?)

I don't feel qualified to comment on the realistic simulation of applying blessings from the gods, but it seems fine to pray for the well-being of your friends, even if they aren't in the same room.

None of the other revealed cards seem to allow for such help, though. Valeros's character-card power only allows him to affect someone else's combat check at his location, for instance.

Harsk the Ranger might be the exception, however, as it seems like he might be able to help out from a different location:

page 9 margin fluff:
"Harsk is the friend everyone wants to have— as long as he’s somewhere else. Ranged weapons suit him best; his ability to fire arrows from long distances can turn the tide of many a combat."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam H
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In one of the videos they mention that one of the ranged characters can shoot arrows from one location to another. They joked about him shooting arrows across the city.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
You can play any type of card as long as the card text allows it to be played for another character's skill check. From page 11, "Players may not play cards at this time unless the cards affect your check."

For example, look at the Greataxe on page 15 of the rule book. It states, "For your combat check..." so I may have it in my hand but I cannot play it on your combat check only mine. The burglar is worded in a similar way. The blessing on the other hand says it can be discarded to add a die to any check.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dallas Honeycutt
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mb
Steerpike wrote:
I have a couple of questions after reading the rulebook (I fear they may be the first of many):

My understanding was that if you were at the same location, which those two were in the example, then you could join in the combat and fully help. If you were at a different location, then you had the restrictions of only being allowed to play cards that specifically allow you to help from further away. Maybe I read things wrong, but that was my impression anyway...........
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bubba P
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't consider the Example of Play at the end of the rulebook to be a completely thorough description of a turn. Several times in the rest of the rulebook, Advancing the Blessing deck is described as an important first step in taking one's turn. But that step is not included in the Example of Play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Selinker
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
RHPDaddy wrote:
I wouldn't consider the Example of Play at the end of the rulebook to be a completely thorough description of a turn. Several times in the rest of the rulebook, Advancing the Blessing deck is described as an important first step in taking one's turn. But that step is not included in the Example of Play.

No, it's definitely not complete, but the commenters are right that Ezren should really have demonstrated his recharge check in that example of play. Our mistake.

Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.