Subject: Documentary: Dear Mr. Watterson rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
In theaters in November

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonny Lawless
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
Four crazy kids and happy as a clam!
badge
My name is Glenn! Long have I carried Cyrus's hopes and dreams, and now I bear the Masamune as well! Henceforth, I claim them as my own! I shall slay the Fiendlord Magus and restore our honor!
mbmbmbmbmb
Must see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Ahern
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At first I was interested in seeing this, but after the trailer I wondered what the point was. The title implies a focus on the somewhat reclusive Bill Watterson who I've always been curious about, but the trailer is just a parade of people saying how great Calvin and Hobbes is. I know it's great, what else do you have to say?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lexingtonian
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BookandGame wrote:
At first I was interested in seeing this, but after the trailer I wondered what the point was. The title implies a focus on the somewhat reclusive Bill Watterson who I've always been curious about, but the trailer is just a parade of people saying how great Calvin and Hobbes is. I know it's great, what else do you have to say?

Similar reaction here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonny Lawless
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
Four crazy kids and happy as a clam!
badge
My name is Glenn! Long have I carried Cyrus's hopes and dreams, and now I bear the Masamune as well! Henceforth, I claim them as my own! I shall slay the Fiendlord Magus and restore our honor!
mbmbmbmbmb
BookandGame wrote:

I think the insights into Watterson's success from his industry peers could be very worthwhile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jumbit
China
Zhejiang
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BookandGame wrote:

I get the idea that the guy just wanted to make a movie about Calvin & Hobbes, and if material wasn't available then he would just invent shit. It's pretty standard procedure these days. Hell, I bet the title is his butthurt about being snubbed by his idol so he's calling for attention.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
午餐先生
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The upcoming documentary called Stripped has an interview with Watterson recorded just for the film. Quite the coup. The tweets I saw about it at San Diego Comic Con were quite positive, and I can't wait to get the DVD.

The film does deal with all of comics in newspapers, then online, but it has a bunch of big players featured from Jim Davis, to Penny Arcade.

It was produced by Dave Kellett, of Sheldon fame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
There was already a documentary about an oddball reclusive cartoonist, and it was called "Crumb", and nothing will ever beat that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serious? Lee
United States
Coppell
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Lost in thought.
mbmbmbmbmb
Curtis Anderson wrote:
BookandGame wrote:

Similar reaction here.

I'm thinking rather than spend $8 for a movie ticket, I ought to swing by Half Price Books and just pick up one of the books of his collected comics to add to my collection. I'd probably get more enjoyment from that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.