Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Johnson
Canada
St.John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
designer
“Brothers, oh brothers, my days here are done, the Dornishman’s taken my life, But what does it matter, for all men must die, and I’ve tasted the Dornishman’s wife!”
badge
"Oak and iron guard me well, or else I'm dead and doomed to hell." - Andal proverb.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want something thematic, you could get Chaos in the Old World. Play best with 4. You can get the expansion which makes it play with 5, but I would recommend skipping the expansion and just play it with 4.

Alternatively, another highly regarded Area Control game is Dominant Species. This even has worker placement in it, if that's your thing.

Personally, I don't think there is a good replacement for El Grande.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
König von Siam
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Looks like there are a few reasonably priced copies of this http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/566/wongar available, its not very well known but it is a good area control game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Wallenstein (second edition) has some other things on top but is certainly area control and has the same weight without too much more length.

Really, there's nothing quite like El Grande.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Bosca
United States
Royal Oak
Michigan
flag msg tools
resist.
badge
Eternity, said Frankie Lee with a voice as cold as ice; That's right, said Judas Priest, eternity, though you might call it paradise...
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing's the same obviously but other area majority games might interest you...

Louis XIV(this is an underrated game)
Belfort
Mykerinos
Rialto
Blue Moon City

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Creve Coeur
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seconding: Chaos in the Old World, King of Siam, Mykerinos, Tammany Hall
Adding: In the Shadow of the Emperor, Kreta, Aton, Dynasties

Although I like it the least of all I've listed, and it's only for 2P, I think Dynasties is the closest to a clone as I've seen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Frankly, I don't see how El Grande and Wallenstein are similar at all - unless one thinks it is enough that both have a map and wooden cubes. The former is entirely about area majorities, while the latter is a game of development and conquest.

FWIW, the game that I think to be most similar to El Grande is Triassic Terror.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Fluffy James wrote:
For me the only thing in common is that they're both area majority games.

Not even that. Please, I intentionally avoided using "area control", because the term has been misused to the point of becoming meaningless and now only serves to cause confusion. Let's not start corrupting the meaning of "area majority", too. It has been a long time since I played the game (the remake Shogun, actually), but I don't remember players sharing areas and scoring majorities. As soon as player invades another player's area, a battle happens and only one remains, right? Call it "area control" if you want (I don't care anymore), but please don't start calling it "area majority".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
China has often been called El Grande light.

And +1 for the Rialto suggestion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Fluffy James wrote:
edit: stroke through "majority" and replaced it with the correct "control".

Thanks, Dirk!

But of course, that is exactly the kind of confusion that I was saying the term "area control" causes. Whatever it means to you, it can't apply to both El Grande and Wallenstein, because they really are completely different games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Bosca
United States
Royal Oak
Michigan
flag msg tools
resist.
badge
Eternity, said Frankie Lee with a voice as cold as ice; That's right, said Judas Priest, eternity, though you might call it paradise...
mbmbmbmbmb
I think some people were confused because you asked for suggestions of games "like El Grande" and then picked a game that doesn't have much in common with it.

Were you simply looking for a game with similar depth? Your choice implies you weren't asking for a game with similar mechanics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
EnigmaProphet wrote:
I found Wallenstein to be a possible superior game in the same general genre (euro area control)

Except it isn't in the same genre. As I said above, whatever definition of "area control" you use, it does not apply to both games (regardless of BBG lumping them together under that same label). And Wallenstein isn't even a pure Euro, most people agree it is a hybrid (or "weuro", as some say).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Sachs
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Despite your hope, there is not even any inherent symbolism; gravity is simply a coincidence.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's certainly not a replacement, but to me (and I can't quite articulate why), Hansa Teutonica seems to show strong El Grande roots.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Sachs
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Despite your hope, there is not even any inherent symbolism; gravity is simply a coincidence.
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, I agree that Tammany Hall comes close to capturing the feel. While it might be OOP, I see a number for sale in the marketplace in the $40 range, including one in CA (though that listing is from March).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Gaudet
Canada
Moncton
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
Agreed on Hansa Teutonica, although that game to me has some weird mechanics in it.

Right now I've been craving an Area Control game and I'm trying pretty hard to find a copy of either El Grande or Alien Frontiers, they are both pretty different but have some similarities (and are both pretty hard to find )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kendahl Johnson
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had similar questions in the past. Ultimately, you're better off forking up the cash and buying El Grande. So much replayability that in the end, you'll be glad you did.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.