Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Failing to build in the castle when you go there, whether done because you do not have the proper cubes or because you choose not to, costs the player 2 prestige points.

The rules make a specific exception in the case when the tower is full and thus you could not legally build even if you had hundreds of cubes.

The wording though is "(if the player owns at least a batch, they keep the cubes and their prestige is not affected)".

This seems to me that if the tower is full and you do *not* have a batch you still lose the 2 PP. The game is blaming your failure to build on your lack of cubes, not on the tower being full, and thus you lose the PP.

Is this ruling correct? Or if you are in the castle and the tower is full, you *never* lose the 2 PP from failure to build?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hawks
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
This seems to me that if the tower is full and you do *not* have a batch you still lose the 2 PP. The game is blaming your failure to build on your lack of cubes, not on the tower being full, and thus you lose the PP.

Sounds right to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Perucca
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
yah, that's how we play it. If you're in the castle, you have the batches, but it fills before your turn, you DON'T loose 2 PP's.

I once played a game where I went to the castle late, but later (before passing) put a worker in the quarry to use up my batches (because I anticipated the tower filling up). I lost 2 points, but gained 6 from the stone building, which actually was a better choice that just 3 points for 1 batch delivery. I ended up winning by 1 point and may have won by more if I would've placed my worker elsewhere (ie., gold mine, money/cubes/bucks for leftovers PP's).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Newman
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
dkeisen wrote:
Failing to build in the castle when you go there, whether done because you do not have the proper cubes or because you choose not to, costs the player 2 prestige points.

But it's not failing to build when you go there, is it? I thought it was only when that section of the castle is scored, if you have no houses there, you lose 2 PP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hawks
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blackberry wrote:
But it's not failing to build when you go there, is it? I thought it was only when that section of the castle is scored, if you have no houses there, you lose 2 PP.

The best part about Caylus is that all of the scoring instructions are right there on the board:

- If you place a worker in the castle, but fail to build a batch with him, you lose 2 PPs. (Except for the special case discussed in this thread.) This rule is found above the tower section, just to the right of the Gate, along with the "most batches for the turn gets 1 favor" rule.

The sectional scoring rules are under the Favor tracks:

- If the dungeon scores, and you never built a batch there, you lose 2 PPs.

- If the walls score, and you never built a batch there, you lose 3 PPs.

- If the towers score, and you never built a batch there, you lose 4 PPs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.