Hide
15 Posts

Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Anticipating movement? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Schmuck
msg tools
So, I'm trying to wrap my head around anticipating enemy movement. Any ideas that might be able to help me in that regard? I know I need to figure out how to better go on the offensive than be on the defensive. Unless I have a lot of shields, because then I don't care as much. I mean, how do I follow one of the fighters across the table?

Nobody would say "I can't shake him!" when across the table from me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Stone
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
Stone is the name and Art is my game!
badge
What number are we thinking of? 69!
mbmbmbmbmb
think what you would do in their stead, then realize that what they will do is something altogether different from what you would do in their place and plan your move according to the opposite of what you would do in their stead.

if that fails go against your first instinct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Wilson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Use the reference cards that are available in the download section of BGG to help you memorize all the ships' dials.

Think about whether the enemy is trying to line you up in their sights, block you and deny you an action, or get away from you.

Make more intentional use of asteroid placements and then try to steer the battle into a disadvantageous position for your enemy.

Make your own actions less predictable.

Consider adding movement upgrades such as expert handling or Engine Upgrade to allow for timely repositioning.

Pay attention when the enemy is stressed, to what their green movement options are. You already know they cannot choose a red movement at that time. Consider adding upgrades that might cause stress or otherwise impede movement (Kath Scarlet, Ion Cannons, Rebel Captive in Wave 3)

Employ a psychic to assist you at important games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vayda
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
https://sites.google.com/site/cnjxwing/home
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
.... I'll say it then...whistle
Use the Force, your eyes can deceive you-- don't trust them, reach out with your feelings.

... And what Josh said.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B.
United States
East Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A wise player I know always says that for most turns of X-Wing once the action has heated up, a ship will have zero to one good places to go. Once you start to see that spot (both for your own ships and your enemies), anticipating where they may go is much easier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil, the Tusken Tactician
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Use the Force, Schmuck [well.... if you will put it as your name.....!]

Sorry.... that wasn't helpful. Okay... Think about what your opponent thinks you're thinking. Then think about the fact that they're thinking that you're thinking about what they think you think. Then think about how your opponent thinks. Once they're thinking about how you're thinking about them thinking what you're thinking, do you think that might change the way they think? Answer that and you're sorted.

Okay, fine, I've got nothing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Morris
Canada
Kelowna
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stay in formation as much as possible. Keep your ships together to always give you options. If you have broken formation, pull one of your ships away to act as a decoy and then bring in other ships to help support. If you are looking at the game as a bunch if one-on-one battles, you will probably lose. You need to use your assets to their fullest and often times that means you need to sacrifice one ship in order to allow your others to take out the enemy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Athos
United States
Milwaukee
WI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
STAY ON TARGET!!!

Also, what has been said above...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Smith
United Kingdom
Gillingham
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Normally other ships, asteroids and state of the ship will give you a good idea. If the field is open and a ship can go anywhere, then just move slowly forward and the enemy should still be in your fire arc, you can then turn next turn to tail him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Maxton
msg tools
I like to do a few things, some of which I did a lot of playing Warhammer.

1. During a piss break, lunch, etc. walk around to their side of the table to get a view of how they see the battlefield. You'd be surprised how your outlook will change. It's not cheating or sleezy, just a different perspective.

2. Anticipate a move like you anticipate the 2nd or 3rd move in chess. If I do this he'll do that, etc.

3. Don't be so eager to get to that range 1 to shoot. That's when the battlefield gets cluttered and messy, leaving very little room for solid maneuvering. Better you're on his six and shoot at range 2 than you both shoot each other at range 1.

4. Leave some "reserves". If everyone is cluttered in the middle and you have a lone ship in the wings, you don't have to worry about how your opponent will maneuver because you have the space to do what you want. If he's smart, he won't send valuable assets to go out of the way to attack your shitty TIE waiting on the edge of the table, until you burn straight forward 5 and get on his ass!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Jackson
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You should also bear pilot skill levels in mind. When things are tight, the fact that movement occurs in lowest to highest order can make a difference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Woehlke
msg tools
mb
lubomirvaic wrote:
Stay in formation as much as possible. Keep your ships together to always give you options. If you have broken formation, pull one of your ships away to act as a decoy and then bring in other ships to help support. If you are looking at the game as a bunch if one-on-one battles, you will probably lose. You need to use your assets to their fullest and often times that means you need to sacrifice one ship in order to allow your others to take out the enemy.

This.

Keep your ships together and try not to turn your back to the enemy. The rest is minutiae.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Stone
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
Stone is the name and Art is my game!
badge
What number are we thinking of? 69!
mbmbmbmbmb
I tend to figure 8 with my ships creating a crossfire effect maximizing my fire when I can and minimizing my opponents. never leave your wing-man, unless you have a viable kill shot, always try to get the dice advantage, get ahead in points and keep pressing your advantage, use torpedoes and missiles as early as possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Schmuck
msg tools
Very cool! Thanks everybody! I think I did better in a game today.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Pontier
United States
Oak Forest
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I run into a lot of problems when I try to guess where my opponent is going to be. I played a lot against my nephews recently, and they are not very experienced. I saw that they had one good movement that wouldn't crash or go over an asteroid, and I plotted my movement accordingly. Then when they took their turn, they ended up crashing or going through an asteroid, and all my ships were then out of position because I expected them to do what I saw as the best maneuver.

This also happens with more experienced players. There are times when I see that I have an obvious move to get through an asteroid field and to land clear of the other ships. But it is such an obvious move that I know my skilled opponent sees it also and can easily position a ship or two to fire on that location. In these situations I try to do the unexpected. Crashing into another ship and losing your action is not nearly as bad as moving to a wide open area where three enemy ships will have a good shot on you.

So, in my experience, the best way to anticipate enemy movement is to underestimate their position and fly ships with Boost or Barrel Roll to compensate. The further you are from an opponent, the more likely they will be in your firing arc. Also, the further you are away, the more room you will have to adjust with a movement action.

You might think you know exactly where the opponent is going to go, and a 3-turn will put you right behind them. But if they do something unexpected, then a 3-Turn will put you too far. A 2-turn (or 1-turn if your ship has the maneuver) is safer, especially if you can boost afterwards to close the gap. Yes, you will be spending your action to boost, instead of focusing for the attack, but I'd rather have an enemy to shoot at without an action than no target and all the actions in the world.

So lately I've been flying more A-wings, Interceptors, and X-wings with Boost. When I'm tailing a ship, I don't try to keep it close to always get the range 1 shot, instead I stay further back so I can boost left or right if they go a way I didn't anticipate.

When flying with higher skilled pilots, another method is to plot your movement to land where they are currently. Since they will move first, their current position will be vacant when you have to move. Like when you follow someone in deep snow, it is easier to step in premade footprints. This often prevents you from crashing, and it usually gives you a good firing arc on the ship that just occupied that space. It is often very difficult to look at a cluttered playing surface and try to predict what ships will be there and which won't when it is your turn to move, but with enough practice it is possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.