Harvey O'Brien
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
badge
...easy ...easy ...eeesay...
mbmbmbmbmb
Can anyone help with this?

If, for example, a tile with half a small city is already in play with no meeples on it and you then lay another tile to create a small city worth two points, can you play your meeple directly onto the new tile and claim the two points instantly, and then remove the meeple straight away?

The same goes for short roads between two points...

Anyone know what's usual on this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
----[---->+<]>++.+++++++++++.--------.---.>-[--->+<]>---.---.-.
mb
That's correct. Place tile, then place follower (even in a feature that was just completed), then score.

Each player’s turn consists of a number of steps, in order:
(1) The player must draw one land tile and place it adjacent to at least one previously placed tile. Each feature at the edge of a tile must be continued on any adjacent tiles. (An unplayable tile is discarded and a new one is drawn.)
(2) The player may deploy one follower to the tile just placed, in a feature that does not contain any other followers.
(3) If, through the placement of the land tile, cloisters, roads or cities are completed, points (see table) are awarded to the player(s) with the most followers on each scored feature. All pieces in scored features are returned to their owners’ hands.

Note also that the "small city" you mention gets 4 and not 2 points (i.e, it is scored like any other city): http://carcassonnefaq.blogspot.com/2005/07/small-city-rule-r...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Fisk
United Kingdom
Stoke on Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Come on you Seagulls! Sami Hyppia's Blue & White army!
badge
That's weird. This bit used to mention Shire Games, and tell you all how wonderful we are. But it seems to have got deleted. Let's see what happens this time ....
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldaron wrote:

Note also that the "small city" you mention gets 4 and not 2 points (i.e, it is scored like any other city):

I believe that the English version still includes the "old" scoring rules.

The "4 points per small city" rule - I think - comes into the game when you are using the updated farmer scoring (each farm is contested separately, and the winning player(s) score 3 points per city in it).

N.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harvey O'Brien
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
badge
...easy ...easy ...eeesay...
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the responses. That clears up the basic point, although it seems to have raised a new debate.

On the whole '2 point' issue, I just bought the game about two weeks ago. It includes the 'River 1' expansion, so it's the latest version, as far as I know, and the rules say that the small city is worth only 2 points, one per tile instead of two. It is, the rules say, an exception to the usual scoring.

I guess there might be differences between different editions in distribution, but this was new stock (albeit in an Irish shop, which could mean the stock is old European stock now finally making its way to Irish shores).

Anyway, appreciate the heads up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Harvey,
the Rio Grande version has never changed the rules. So it doesn't matter which edition you have bought - as long as it is English.

The (original) German version has changed rules twice. The publisher had to change the Farmer rules in order to win the Spiel des Jahres, but the change was actually not easier to understand. SO shortly after they changed the Farmer rules again, and at the same time they also removed the scoring exception for small Cities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.