Timo Järvinen
Finland
West-Helsinki
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Artillery against hidden land mine? How this works?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Carey
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think I have had it happen. I'd say you roll the dice for each of the seven hexes, and if the result is enough to detonate the mines, the mine owner reveals if there was a mine or not. If the roll is not enough, nothing is revealed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Järvinen
Finland
West-Helsinki
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Good answer. Firefight 16 Belbek Valley this is very possible thing that might happen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SeattleDan wrote:
I don't think I have had it happen. I'd say you roll the dice for each of the seven hexes, and if the result is enough to detonate the mines, the mine owner reveals if there was a mine or not. If the roll is not enough, nothing is revealed.

Is this a house rule or an actual rule?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ramirez
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
18.3.3 says that mines attack units moving into the hex, nothing about artillery going off in the hex. Therefore, nothing happens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heiko Möller
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fortifications and obstacles with a red number in the bottom right
hand corner of their counters can be destroyed by mortar fire, artillery
fire, red tank and gun FP (no MG fire) or CC foot unit attacks.

So sure, they can be destroyed.

all the best
heiko
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse LeBreton
United States
Kingsford
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes but I think 18.4 assumes these mines are visible. However, if they are hidden, using the suggestion given above is a fine way of resolving it. There are several cases like this, where I have suggested just the same. A little imagination and a die roll go a long way toward solving issues like this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse LeBreton
United States
Kingsford
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thinking about it a little further, I got to wonder whether or not anyone would notice a mine exploding right underneath the arty shell? After all, an arty blast is pretty big. Would one be able to say 'gee I think that blast was just enhanced further by a little land mine.' I highly doubt it. Hence, I think arty would not reveal mines, because how could you really tell for sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maxime
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would resolve this situation the same way as firing on HEX where hidden units could be. Throw the attack dice for each of the seven HEX, if result is greater or equal to mines red DV the hidden mine is destroyed. Otherwise the mine remain hidden.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heiko Möller
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I think arty would not reveal mines, because how could you really tell for sure.

I don't see any ambiguity here. Mines wouldn't be revealed, they either get destroyed or stay hidden.
You roll damage for every hex & if the AV is equal to or greater than the DV any obstacle (including hidden mines) would get destroyed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse LeBreton
United States
Kingsford
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Right, I hear what you are saying, but would an artillery volley really clear out an entire mine field? That's really the question I was hinting at. Sure an arty shell may hit one mine but what about the other 20? Surely, in the real world, the entire mine field would still be a danger to navigate even after an arty volley hit that region.

Basically, I think mine fields should be persistent in a scenario. I really don't agree with the system using cards to lay one down instantly, nor clear one out instantly. That mission would take place before, or after the fight takes place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heiko Möller
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Oh now i get what you mean.
Sure a minefield wouldn't be safe after an artillery volley. And the mine laying/obstacles removing cards feel somewhat gamey too.
I for example have house-ruled, that a transported unit can only be hit by mines if the transporting unit is hit.
So house-ruling mine fields to be persistent seems quite viable.

all the best
heiko

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.