Unexpected Treasures» Forums » Rules

Subject: One or two things that the rule booklet doesn't seem to cover ... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stuart Lofthouse
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
In the unlikely event that all players select the thief card would you begin phase two again and have everybody reselect a card (and repeat again if necessary until at least one player does NOT select their thief card!) OR would you finish phase two (by reversing the order of the Contest Chips), essentially skip over phase three (as the winning thief does not actually get to rob anybody, with all the other thieves staying home! – right?) and then begin the first phase of the next round?

When the rulebook states "IMPORTANT: If a player selected the thief in this round, he must choose a different number card in the next round!", does that also apply to any unsuccessful thieves who 'stayed home' or does it only apply to the thief who got to burgle other players' homes?

One other thing I was wondering is how exactly this game won't work for only two players.

Cheers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Seb. ●leoskyangel●
Malaysia
Bangsar & PJ
flag msg tools
badge
I play games not to win, it's the gathering that's important - Thanks for the tip Cate108!
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a good question.

My guess is that you proceed with the next round, but before that, that one player who won the right to steal (by having the lowest contest chip), although there's nothing to steal, he may try to fulfill one or more mission cards.

As for your 2nd question, only the player who successfully become the thief, has to choose a different card in the next round. That's how we've been playing it.

It would help if we can get an official answer for your questions.

I think the game could work with 2 players, just that it will lack the dynamic. For instance, one player will be vulnerable to the thief when he or she has a lot of items since thief moves first. Probably adding a dummy player could help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henning Kröpke
Germany
Ascheberg
Germany
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stu_1977_SEmelb wrote:
In the unlikely event that all players select the thief card would you begin phase two again and have everybody reselect a card (and repeat again if necessary until at least one player does NOT select their thief card!) OR would you finish phase two (by reversing the order of the Contest Chips), essentially skip over phase three (as the winning thief does not actually get to rob anybody, with all the other thieves staying home! – right?) and then begin the first phase of the next round?

When the rulebook states "IMPORTANT: If a player selected the thief in this round, he must choose a different number card in the next round!", does that also apply to any unsuccessful thieves who 'stayed home' or does it only apply to the thief who got to burgle other players' homes?

1. If all players choose the thief, you finish phase 2 - reverse the player order, the winning thief does not steal (he says "hi" to all other players staying at home) and then you start phase 1 of the next round by drawing one more mission card.

2. Only the winning thief must choose a different number card, even if he was unlucky and did not steal anything in the previous round. All other players staying at home may choose any of their number cards.

Have a lot of fun with "Unexpected Treasures",

Henning
(2F-Spiele)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Lofthouse
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ah, okay cool ... Thanks for that!

What about what Damien said above? After going around and saying "hi" to all the players staying at home he can then trade in treasures for any mission cards he's able to fulfill, yeah?

Regards,

Stuart.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henning Kröpke
Germany
Ascheberg
Germany
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stu_1977_SEmelb wrote:
What about what Damien said above? After going around and saying "hi" to all the players staying at home he can then trade in treasures for any mission cards he's able to fulfill, yeah?

Yes, as the winning thief takes his turn, even if he cannot steal anything, he still may trade in treasures for any mission cards he may fulfill.

Henning
(2F-Spiele)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Lofthouse
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Cool. :)

I really look forward to playing this one eventually, when I get to see my girl again.

Thanks again!

Stu.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Lofthouse
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yes, of course a two player game would lack the dynamic of three or more players but when the thief is played I don't think the opponent will be that vulnerable because the thief will still only be able to steal one item (one item per number of players off to the collection site!) ...

Are there other things which you think may 'break' a two-player game?

I've been running it through my head, trying to think of something but I'm coming up empty.

If both players play the same card, one stays home and they swap their "1" and "2" Contest Chips, doesn't seem so bad ... you'd probably remove nine cards from the mission stack and only play with fifteen ...

Please let me know if you think of anything or, if you actually try it, how it went.

Cheers Damien,

Stu. :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malaysia
Bangsar & PJ
flag msg tools
badge
I play games not to win, it's the gathering that's important - Thanks for the tip Cate108!
mbmbmbmbmb
stu_1977_SEmelb wrote:
Yes, of course a two player game would lack the dynamic of three or more players but when the thief is played I don't think the opponent will be that vulnerable because the thief will still only be able to steal one item (one item per number of players off to the collection site!) ...

Are there other things which you think may 'break' a two-player game?

I've been running it through my head, trying to think of something but I'm coming up empty.

If both players play the same card, one stays home and they swap their "1" and "2" Contest Chips, doesn't seem so bad ... you'd probably remove nine cards from the mission stack and only play with fifteen ...

Please let me know if you think of anything or, if you actually try it, how it went.

Cheers Damien,

Stu. :-)

Stuart, I'm probably not the best person to discuss about variants and stuff I think I'm not good at it.

Yes, I think the game is playable with two right out of the box. I've never try or have the intention to try it with two. However, if I were to try it with 2, I'll add in a dummy as the 3rd player. I can see that playing with just two, the chances of someone denying your plan is low. In other words the tension/suspense is low since in a 2 player game, it's more like either you go first or last.

If you get to go first, you get first dip of the good stuff, but you may collect lower amount than your opponent. However, going last, you may get to collect all the old junks. Seeing these two, I can see that the game can alternate in the same fashion and can be a little scripted. The conflict isn't there so IMO is less fun. However, if both players want to go first, it can get interesting. But I just don't see the point to fight for it if you can go last and collect more.

I'm running these scenarios in my head, so obviously I may be wrong or missing some points.

I also think that thief is maybe not the best option in a 2 player game.

However Stuart, please give a 2 player game a go. I'd like to know how it went and wanted to know if tweaks are necessary.

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malaysia
Bangsar & PJ
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hold on, I forgot that in a 2 player game, there will only be 4 scraps. Hmm, these changes thing. I think card #2,#3 and #4 will often be the choices of both players, in my opinion. It's a matter of how well you read your opponent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Lofthouse
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hmm.. some nice and interesting points you've made there.

Thanks, Damien!

(Sorry, haven't checked in for a while – obviously!)

Regards,

Stuart.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.