Hide
9 Posts

Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » General

Subject: Want 4 X-Wings , 8 Ties .... 2 or 3 core sets ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kallel 00
msg tools
Haven't been able to grab an X-Wing exp , but already have 2 cores. Aside from Wedge , is there any card in the X-Wing pack that would make me want to have 2 copies instead of 1 ?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DB Draft
New Zealand
flag msg tools
I believe the generic R5 astromech is only available in the X wing expansion. This allows you to flip one "Ship" crit facedown in the End Phase, and for 1 point is a good filler. For the money the core set is certainly good value and with 3 core sets you will have ample dice and other spare cards and tokens for all situations. You then will have 6 TIEs and will be much closer to the 8 you are after.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert M.
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Kallel00 wrote:
Haven't been able to grab an X-Wing exp , but already have 2 cores. Aside from Wedge , is there any card in the X-Wing pack that would make me want to have 2 copies instead of 1 ?

No.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DB Draft wrote:
You then will have 6 TIEs and will be much closer to the 8 you are after.

OTOH, the TIE Fighter (or TIE Advanced) expansion is required for the 'swarm tactics' upgrade card. So you'll probably want as many of those as you can get (up to potentially 5 cards for a 6-TIE-Swarm...something like Howlrunner and 4 Black Squadrons each with 'swarm' and another Black Squadron with 'draw their fire' or something).

And certainly, if you don't have at least one TIE Fighter expansion yet, you'll *absolutely* want one. Two of the best TIE pilots available come with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Derksen
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
designer
armoredgear7.net
badge
Heroes of the Aturi Cluster dockingbay416.com/campaign
mbmbmbmbmb
I would agree.
Core x3, Xwing x1, TIE x2 for the swarm tactics.

You could even hold off on the third core set until you're set on running a 4X or 8 TIE list, as you'd have 3X and 6 TIEs already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kallel 00
msg tools
Thanks for the replies

Money-Wise, there's imo isn't much of a difference between 2 x TIE + 1 X-Wing vs Core Set, but since I use the core Set boxes to store my minis (removed plastic inserts, and covered the front hole with cut plastic), it's just more appealing that way

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
armoredgear7 wrote:
I would agree.
Core x3, Xwing x1, TIE x2 for the swarm tactics.

You could even hold off on the third core set until you're set on running a 4X or 8 TIE list, as you'd have 3X and 6 TIEs already.

This. I have 3x core and 1x X-wing, TIE fighter. The TIE Advanced gives a second Swarm Tactics, but if you want a third and/or want to field 8x TIE swarm, then a second TIE expansion is plenty. I briefly thought a second R5 Astromech might be useful and then gave my head a shake.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Firstname Lastname
Singapore
flag msg tools
Vorpal Sword wrote:
Kallel00 wrote:

No.

I'd say R5 astromech is pretty good in multiples, especially when you just want to bleed off the remaining 1 or 2 points to reach a full 100, or if you are running Ywings

I have 3 cores, 2 TIE, 1 Xwing, 2 TIEadv and i ended up getting a 2nd Xwing (to mess around with for painting/customs etc) and traded a swarm tactics upgrade for that 3rd R5 astromech

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Davis
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kallel00 wrote:
Money-Wise, there's imo isn't much of a difference between 2 x TIE + 1 X-Wing vs Core Set

Unless you can find them on clearance at a Target near you. Then its 2 TIEs and an X-Wing for a little more than 1 expansion pack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.