14 Posts

Ghost Stories» Forums » Rules

Subject: Central village tile: Can you exorcise from it? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
micro mantis

Illinois
msg tools
I'm not sure if i'm 'facing' the four middle ghost spaces if my priest is on the central tile, can I exorcise from there or only when adjacent to ghosts when on the outer 8 village tiles?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Only when adjacent.
On the central tile, you may only use its own power (if it is not haunted, of course).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
micro mantis

Illinois
msg tools
Luca.

thanks for that.

I didn't realize that a haunted village tile could not be used for its power, I know that is not specifically mentioned in the rules although the tile does show the villager has gone. Thematically it makes sense. I assumed the power could be used as the power symbols are still shown, a pity the art didn't show the symbols crossed out in that case to mirror the system used elsewhere in the game.

Is that rule generally confirmed?

thanks.

EDIT: I see that on haunted tiles the village power symbols are drawn with transparency, perhaps that shows how the are not currently usable for power?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Yes, it is a rule.
It is poorly worded in the original rulebook (maybe later printings corrected that).
For example, see: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/10023872

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
micromantis wrote:
I know that is not specifically mentioned in the rules

It is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
micromantis wrote:
I'm not sure if i'm 'facing' the four middle ghost spaces if my priest is on the central tile, can I exorcise from there or only when adjacent to ghosts when on the outer 8 village tiles?

The English rules explicitly use the word adjacent, nothing about facing. Yang phase, section 2b, page 5 if you care to look it up. I haven't bothered to read the other languages so don't know if you're getting "facing" as a translation into English from one of those languages.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pretty interesting that such a fundamental rule is not explicitly mentioned in the rules.
Implicitly it is also mentioned in the uFAQ where it says that if the Buddha temple is haunted, you remove all Buddha figures from the board and they return to the temple as soon as this tile gets unhaunted.
However, I doubt there are a lot of people out there who believe they could use a village tile when it is flipped to the haunted side. After all: The iPad version handles it the correct way and that should be consistent with the official rules.

DreamStorm wrote:
micromantis wrote:

It is.

where?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
micro mantis

Illinois
msg tools
Scott, I just looked at page 5 of the rules and it does say adjacent, missed that! In fact it specifies that you cannot exorcise from the centre! I need to re read a bit more often shake

I'm also glad that the haunted tiles cannot be used, makes the game more interesting by limiting those powers as I was feeling that some board powers seemed too useful!

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
DreamStorm wrote:
micromantis wrote:

It is.

Where? Which language rule book am I to look in to find it?

There's nothing specifically mentioned in the English rule book. The only mentions of haunting are that Haunters haunt tiles, the curse die can haunt tiles, too many haunted tiles ends the game and the yin-yang token can be used to unhaunt them. Nothing specifically says that haunted tiles can't be used.

Edit: ninjad while looking through the rule book for haunting references but I'll let the post stand as it has points not made above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
blaecblaed wrote:
DreamStorm wrote:
micromantis wrote:

It is.

Where? Which language rule book am I to look in to find it?

There's nothing specifically mentioned in the English rule book. The only mentions of haunting are that Haunters haunt tiles, the curse die can haunt tiles, too many haunted tiles ends the game and the yin-yang token can be used to unhaunt them. Nothing specifically says that haunted tiles can't be used.

Its not in the German rulebook either. Have to check the French one again... After all, this is the "original" ^^

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2.a) Request help from a villager
On the tile where it stands, the Taoist may request help from the corresponding villager.

Haunted = no villager = cannot be activated.

Why else would the haunting of specific tiles be a rule? If you could just keep using them, it wouldn't matter which tiles became haunted, as long as the total remains low enough to not lose...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
DreamStorm wrote:
micromantis wrote:

It is.

DreamStorm wrote:
2.a) Request help from a villager
On the tile where it stands, the Taoist may request help from the corresponding villager.

Haunted = no villager = cannot be activated.

Why else would the haunting of specific tiles be a rule? If you could just keep using them, it wouldn't matter which tiles became haunted, as long as the total remains low enough to not lose...

Yep, we all know that rule, and I bet we all agree that it makes sense and is better for the game but an appeal to common sense isn't the same as specifically saying a haunted tile can't be used.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules say you can request help from a villager "on the tile where it stands". It can be argued that when the tile is haunted, the villager is no longer standing there, hence you cannot fulfill the prerequisite for requesting the villager's aid.

That's not at all obvious, but in retrospect I can see how that might have been an attempt to say that you can't use a haunted tile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Antistone wrote:

That's not at all obvious, but in retrospect I can see how that might have been an attempt to say that you can't use a haunted tile.

You can't use a haunted tile because if you could, then this would undermine the whole haunting concept and the game mechanic itself. It is also completely unintuitive. However, it is not explicitly mentioned in the rulebook, but it is mentioned implicitly. Overall, there shouldn't be any doubt about this issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.