Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
蓝魔
United Kingdom
Bingham
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are these games different enough to consider owning both ?? And if not, which one would you buy and why ??

Does Lancaster take the best of WotR:LvY and improve upon it especially with the available Henry V expansion ??

Wars of the Roses: Lancaster vs York
link

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Speaking personally, I'd say that there was little comparison. WoR is a game about gaining and holding valuable cities, areas and offices to manipulate who is the (current) king, and as such felt to me like a game about the Wars of the Roses. The mechanisms are very Euro, but the atmosphere is similar to the old Kingmaker.

Whereas Lancaster is Just Another Soulless Euro in my opinion (and having played it two or three times, that opinion is not going to change). Although all the elements are there (the castles, the French), they are put together as a by-the-numbers Euro. It wouldn't take much imagination for me to re theme it as a game about car dealerships, or agri-chemicals, or some such like. The game has its fans because it's well put-together - the mechanisms are sound ones and they work fine. But it did not excite me.

That said, I could easily expect more people to say that Lancaster is the better game; it won awards, after all. But WoR delivered the better experience for me (and for most of those I have played it with, I'll wager). Whilst still being a very good game; but only works for 4 players IIRC.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michel Lapointe
Canada
Napierville
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Beside having both Lancaster in the name, and sharing a geographical region in the theme, there is nothing common in term of gaming.

And WoR is way heavier... quite an heavy box

Both game are fun, WoR is best played with 4 in my opinion since there is a "team" concept during the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have both. I have still yet to play Wars of the Roses but it is nothing like Lancaster game play wise, although the games do look similar (the map and player screens etc).

Lancaster is one of the best worker (dis)placement games out there in my opinion..It also has lots of player interaction as you can bump others knights off the board. Great components also. Highly recommended. It has also just received a new expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Christiansen
United States
Mount Pleasant
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
OOK! OOK! OOK!
mbmbmbmbmb
Love Lancaster, especially Henry expansion.

Great gameplay. (Soulless Euro are my middle names, right after Theme is Optional). But I actually think there is theme, especially with expansion.

Very different games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
蓝魔
United Kingdom
Bingham
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the speedy responses.

I think I understand the game Lancaster and what it will play like. My wife & I are particularly fond of worker placement/displacement games.

However I am still unsure about WotR. I remember the drudgery of Kingmaker but have read that this game solves a lot of that but with only a single video review and no rulebook available I have no real idea how.

WotR also on the whole seems very popular with those that own it but I'd rather not be stuck with a pretty box and clever game that never gets on the table because its player unfriendly.

Any more thoughts ..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EXTRA AVOCADO! Sonderegger
United States
Folsom
CA
flag msg tools
designer
Shall I compare thee to a chevrolet?
badge
...the headlamps of your eyes will make them dream.
mbmbmbmbmb
You can tell my opinion from this review- and I haven't even touched the expansion yet, even though it's bagged and ready to go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
蓝魔
United Kingdom
Bingham
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
*Update: Bought them both. whistle

We've played LANCASTER a couple of times already and as has been mentioned in various reviews the "PARLIAMENT" phase is unexpectedly tense and exciting.

Very glad I purchased this game and looking forward to picking up the HENRY V expansion when it becomes readily available in the UK.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Holt
England
Rayleigh
Essex
flag msg tools
This is not the cat you're looking for - some other cat maybe?
badge
tout passe, tout lasse, tout casse
mbmbmbmbmb
moocifer wrote:
looking forward to picking up the HENRY V expansion when it becomes readily available in the UK.

That should be now- it was in the Esdevium (wholesalers) list a fortnight ago.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.