Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am looking for opinions on how this plays with 2. Are there special rules?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Manore
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Warlord beats Troll, Troll beats Elf, Elf beats Water Sprite, and basically everything else beats Enchanted Bunny.
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I enjoy it with 2 players (but we only play with expansion).

The only special rules is that at the beginning of every productive season, you roll 3 dice of a neutral color, add the total, and place all 3 of them to block one advisor. Then you roll 2 dice of a different neutral color, add the total, and place them to block another advisor. If the second set of neutral dice have the same total value as the other 3 neutral dice, split the 2 dice and place them individually based on their value. Then play proceeds as normal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played this 2p and it's ok. I certainly wouldn't recommend playing it with two if you have the chance to play with more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn George
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Open your eyes...
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:
I've played this 2p and it's ok. I certainly wouldn't recommend playing it with two if you have the chance to play with more.

Agreed. I love Kingsburg, but the two-player rules just really don't do it for me. A lot of the interaction in the game comes from evaluating the other players' dice rolls and figuring out how to prioritize your placements and block the other players. 2p Kingsburg feels more like multiplayer solitaire. Still not a bad game with two, but after you play the game with four or five, you certainly start to notice that the two player game is missing something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
I prefer it with more than 2; that said, it still works well (main perks: it is quicker and has little "confrontation").
Here on BGG there's a subset of players that seem to play it mostly with 2 and enjoy it.

rickert wrote:
Are there special rules?

As noted above, only one (and very simple).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galen Ciscell
United States
Auburn
WA
flag msg tools
designer
Check out my game, Atlantis Rising! :)
mb
My wife and I play almost exclusively with two and enjoy it more for two main reasons: 1) it's less confrontational and 2) it's way faster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it works fine with two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Kunes
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wife and I play with 2p variant and enjoy it. We roll the neutral rolls, place them and go. Plays rather quick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Monroe
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently played it with 2 and have played it with more in the past.

As other have said, it plays okay with 2 but it really does seem multiplayer solitaire. There might be a few times where the neutral dice took a spot you wanted or you and your opponent both want the same spot, but for the most part it seems easy enough to roll your dice, get whatever resources you need, and build

With more players it can be more of a challenge to get the resources you need to build the buildings you want.

Of course with only 2P, you'll be able to finish a game in 45 minutes or so.

Honestly, if you are only going to play it 2P, I'd say there are just too many better for 2 players games out there. However, if you are going to also have the chance to play it with 3 or 4, then it's worth picking up

Note: I've only played the expansion once so I do not know how that impacts Kingsburg as a 2P game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Martin
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
My girlfriend and I play this game as a 2 player we add another set of dice. So we would roll 1 die and place it, then roll 2 dice and then place them, then we roll 3 dice then place them. This helps block another area and my girlfriend and I have found it a little harder at times when we really need a certain resource but was stopped by one of the set of dice roll before placing ours. We even play if another player already built a building on there player mat you must pay an additional resource in order to build. This kind of adds a little race to see who can build things first.

I thinks it kind of sucks there isn't a production phase on the 8 turn of the round, so what we do is if you want to build you must pay 4 more of any resource but all must be the same type of resource that is paid to build the building being built. In doing this you get double VP that building gives. I hope this helps make this more interesting. For my girlfriend and I playing this way makes the game more fun to play with 2 player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.