Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tu Nguyen
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How does spawning in PvE (1 vs Arena, 2 vs Arena, etc.) work?
-Do players get to choose to spawn one or all of their units on their turn like in PvP?

Do monsters continue to spawn (for example, the 2 vs Arena shows a 2 B/C and 2 Bosses in the setup, do more monsters than what is shown in the scenario continue to spawn and thus overwhelm players?)
-I had previously played it that they DO and it was very, very difficult. I would imagine that there would be a "limit", such as, 2 max B/C for the 2 vs Arena and if one or both died, one would spawn the next turn if it did not go past this maximum cap of B/C.

Finally,

Does Bolster ATK Range (white chip) affect Xanadu Attacker's Whirlwind?

It says it increases the unit's attack range by 1 but it doesn't say whether that is for basic or alt attacks. I'm assuming alternate attacks follow the quick guidelines on the back of the rulebook. However, that would mean that debuffs would not apply to this alternate attack as well?

Thanks for any help on these questions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kilo Delta
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey thanks for the questions! Lets get to it.

Q: How does Spawning in PvE work?

A: Deployment happens just as it does in PVP, with player 1 taking a full turn (CF check, deploy, move, attack, draw), then player 2, then arena...etc

Q: Do monsters continue to spawn (for example, the 2 vs Arena shows a 2 B/C and 2 Bosses in the setup, do more monsters than what is shown in the scenario continue to spawn and thus overwhelm players?)

A: Scenario's in 2 vs arena work just like they do in solo (ie, the 3 rounds of combat). The only differences being each player only draws 3 gladiators and 1 tactic each, CF points and arena unlocks are shared, and you're playing against 2 bosses instead of just the 1 in solo.

Q: Does bolster ATK boost Xanadu Attacker's Whirlwind?

A: No, bolster ATK only boosts base attacks. (noted on the chip itself), Whirlwind is an Alt Atk.

Thanks again for your questions! If you have any others down the road, don't hesitate!

(also, don't forget we've updated the rules! Here's a link to the thread on the subject: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/956282/rules-update-apr-2013

-Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tu Nguyen
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm still confused about the monster spawns. So can the arena potentially have 8 B/C or if I'm playing 2 vs Arena, will there only ever be 2 B/C max?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kilo Delta
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Once the boss of that scenario is defeated, then you spawn the next B/C's and next boss, moving your champion (with it's current health) to it's starting position, and start with new gladiators/tactics. This goes for both 1vA and 2vA. The only difference in enemy spawns between 1, 2, and 3vA is the number of bosses.

Of course, feel free to create your own scenarios! Here's an example of a variation we sometimes play with:

-Arena starts empty, no b/c, no boss.
-Player 1 takes first turn
-Player 2 takes first turn
-Arena rolls blue and yellow die (blue for b/c unit deployment chance, yellow for boss deployment chance (up to two bosses per game)

This goes on and on until all of the b/c and both bosses are defeated. This gives you a bit more time to get your things together, and adds a great deal of variety to each game played. You can set limits on how many b/c can be in the arena at the same time, or just let all 8 out onto the sand if that's the way you want it!

And that was just a quick one! Feel free to experiment. We'll be releasing a number of new scenarios with the new Rise of Rome expansion, so please be on the look out for those!

Thanks for the questions, we're always happy to help.

-Cheers

Like/follow us on Facebook! (facebook.com/hoplomachus)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Carlson
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Tu,

Allow me to rephrase and answer your question.

For Scenario 1, the starting and MAX number of spawned Beast/Criminals remains at 2. You are correct in your last post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.