Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jordan Spence
United States
Brooklyn Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
I have a 3 x 3 modular board where each piece has 6 x 6 spaces on it. There is a bunch of obstacles on board players must move around. Right now, I have players rolling a certain number of dice based on units they have on the board (Max 4 on the board) then assigning a single dice to a unit for movement. 1 player is trying to capture the other players so his units move faster than everyone else's. I want the feeling of being chased down. I dont know if there is a better mechanic to use. Giving each unit static movement doesn't seem like it would work since there is no randomness. Any ideas?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cool. A city or suburban block kind of chase? on foot or with vehicles?

Some may say "Oh noes, Roll-and-Move!"

but there's an interesting decision on how to allocate the movement dice to each of your units.

You don't necessarily need to have the Chaser player have faster movement. instead, you can give the Chaser several units, and the Pursued only has a few. The chaser would have to figure out how to box in the Pursued. The Pursued, however, gets more dice to roll.

My gut reaction for movement dice (six sides)
1. Move forward 3
2. Move forward 2
3. Move forward 1, turn left
4. Move forward 1, turn right
5. Turn left or right, your choice
6. Turn left or right, or move forward, your choice

Let's say the Chaser has 4 units, each starting at the 4 corners of the board. Pursued has 1 unit that starts at the center.

Each player rolls 4 dice. Chaser assigns one die to each of his Chasers. Pursued assigns just one die to his unit. Dice assignments are made secretly, and then simultaneously revealed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Spence
United States
Brooklyn Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
I thought about using chess based movements but I want the game to be fast paced and it would slow down the game.

Other ideas:
1 Player's Dice: 4,4,4,5,5,6
Other Players' Dice: 2,2,2,3,3,4

Card based Movement:
Each card would show tetris block style movement and players would play the card to move in that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corsaire
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tetris style blocks would slow the game down. What if it is fixed movement, but chaser can roll a die for chance of an extra move. Or fixed moves with obstacles that slow movement that only affect the pursued. Or fixed and the pursued fatigues and loses a point of movement every so often. Lots of ways to go depending on how you want it to feel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
what do you mean "fixed movement"?

Moving along a single path?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Goleminthegears wrote:
I thought about using chess based movements but I want the game to be fast paced and it would slow down the game.

How fast is "fast-paced"?

10-seconds per player turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Spence
United States
Brooklyn Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
Quote:
How fast is "fast-paced"?

Less than 30 seconds per player.

Quote:
What if it is fixed movement, but chaser can roll a die for chance of an extra move. Or fixed moves with obstacles that slow movement that only affect the pursued. Or fixed and the pursued fatigues and loses a point of movement every so often. Lots of ways to go depending on how you want it to feel.

The only reason I dont like fixed movement is because it doesn't have much randomness to it. The unit is always moving X fast unless you add a variable of some kind. I didn't know if that would lead players to just constantly count grid spaces to keep X space away from the other player at all times. And if you are with the X spaces it's a guarantee that you would die unlike with dice you can have a slim margin of escape with a bad dice roll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Spence
United States
Brooklyn Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
Are dice the best choice in this situation? Is there a better mechanic out there?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Goleminthegears wrote:
Are dice the best choice in this situation? Is there a better mechanic out there?

Well, the thread is titled "Dice-based Grid Movement" ... so I suggested a possible dice mechanic to use.

I'm not entirely sold on the "tetris-tile" movement.

And I still don't know what environment this chase is happening in. If it were really a city-block chase, then those tetris-tiles make more sense. If it were a more open area, I'd probably go with a mechanic like in Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game, or Crimson Skies

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Spence
United States
Brooklyn Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
Quote:
And I still don't know what environment this chase is happening in. If it were really a city-block chase, then those tetris-tiles make more sense. If it were a more open area, I'd probably go with a mechanic like in Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game, or Crimson Skies

It would be a modular map with 6x6 tiles that have trees on them that can block movement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lizzie
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
designer
“Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed.” ― G.K. Chesterton
badge
A Hug a Day keeps the Doctor away!
mbmbmbmbmb
Goleminthegears wrote:
I have a 3 x 3 modular board where each piece has 6 x 6 spaces on it. There is a bunch of obstacles on board players must move around. Right now, I have players rolling a certain number of dice based on units they have on the board (Max 4 on the board) then assigning a single dice to a unit for movement. 1 player is trying to capture the other players so his units move faster than everyone else's. I want the feeling of being chased down. I dont know if there is a better mechanic to use. Giving each unit static movement doesn't seem like it would work since there is no randomness. Any ideas?

This is quite interesting, i love the idea of rolling lots of dice and then assigning them (Space Alert uses this mechanic well - though has other problems) a few ideas:

How about having to use a dice to allow turning. So units would only be allowed to move in straight lines (maybe diagonally too) unless a player sacrificed one of the dice rolled to unlock turning. For the player being chased it would have to be say a 4+ while the chasing player would either not have to use a dice or could use a much lower value one. So the chaser would be more agile. With this you could either have the player being chased roll an extra die over the number of units (so he is only sacrificing a high value roll) or not (so he must sacrifice moving a unit to enable all the others to be able to turn/zigzag).

You could have the chaser rolling d8s over the other players d6s so that on average he moves a little faster but he has a sprint mode where he can potentially make large gains. Or the chaser rolls one extra d6 and can spread the points across his units (limited to 6movement per unit or not).

You could make the board toroidal (players going off one side come back on the other) which makes it less likely someone will get stuck in a corner and allows for more sneaking up behind a player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.