8 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: New player friendly RPG for 2 players rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wallace Holmstead
msg tools
Hey!

Me and the girlfriend are looking into trying a rpg board game for the first time. Basically our "board game" experience comes from games like monopoly..

We're both fans of fantasy such as lord of the rings, game of thrones etc. And also play fantasy titles on the pc.

I've looked around this forum today and now i'm burnt out for a while, so suggestions would be great!

So to sum it up, we're looking for a:

- suitable 2 player RPG board game
- New player friendly
- Preferably fantasy themed
- Not repetitive
- Varied gameplay, puzzles etc (not just combat)
- something where you can get to make active descisions. You get to make choices.
- We like story too, but don't necessarily want something like the original D&D with one of us being a GM or dungeon master.

I think that's it..

Any suggestions welcome!

Thanks.

/Will

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Cole
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Will
When you say RPG board game, its kind of vague. Are you wanting an RPG style game or are you looking for more of a traditional board game? My wife and I love fantasy and gaming so I'll chime in what has worked for us. These will be more of a traditional board game style but have a lot of elements similar to an RPG game.

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) - This is a very immersive game where one of you plays the overlord and the other the heroes. Scenarios are pre-buil and there are a lot of them to play through. The second edition really streamlines the play so you can play a scenario in about an hour and a half tops.

Mansions of Madness - This also has one of you playing a keeper and the other investigators. Its more horror than fantasy, but comes with wonderful miniatures and definitely has that "puzzle" component as some of the blocks to clues are actual puzzles to try and solve.

Dungeons & Dragons: Wrath of Ashardalon Board Game - This is about as close to a blend of RPG and Board Games as you can get. It is set up so that you both play heroes and play against the game system. Its almost like descent lite.

Hope this helps! Good luck and let us know what you find and how it went!

Tim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Engilis
United States
Elk Grove
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a look at ...

Mice and Mystics

and

Legends of Andor

In both the "dungeon master" is the game. You will have to play two characters each but both are quite enjoyable gaming experiences.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wallace Holmstead
msg tools
Sorry if I was vague (newbie), but I suppose we'd start with something close to a traditional board game but with an rpg style.

Thanks for the suggestions by the way. Will check them out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ROGER DEAL
United States
Oak Ridge
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Kenneth Deal WW 2 Belgium 1944/45
mbmbmbmbmb
The "Song of.." series of games. More RPG than boardgame but tons of material there at a reasonable price. Very player friendly - core rules are simple and easy to use without a lot of paperwork.

Song of Blades and Heroes

Song of Gold and Darkness

Song of Drums and Shakos

Song of Deeds and Glory

Song of Wind and Water

..plus many more with the same core mechanic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Murphy
United States
Gold Hill
OR
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Sounds like we've got very similar tastes. I love a game that makes you feel like you're immersed in another world, continually growing stronger and finding sweet loot to power up your character. Some games you may want to take a look at:

Runebound (Second Edition). The movement mechanic is a little odd and there's not a great deal of story besides the flavor text on the cards, but it does a good job of putting you in the role of an adventurer exploring a big open world with monsters to fight, skill challenges to beat and towns to visit.

Mage Knight Board Game. Let me begin by saying you should probably not start with this one. VERY complex, lots of fiddly rules and variables. But, it's so complex because there is so much you can do like conquering whole cities and razing towns. Once you've played some more complex and heavier games and start to feel more comfortable with a massive rule book, you should look into this one.

Talisman (Revised 4th Edition). If even Runebound seems like it's a bit too deep you may want to look into this one. Pretty similar to Monopoly in that you're rolling dice to move around the board and different spots have different effects. But each player has a unique character that can level up and grow stronger as they go through the game.

Oh, and
+1 Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) if you don't mind someone DMing and the other playing the hero.

+1 Dungeons & Dragons: Wrath of Ashardalon Board Game or others in the series. Not as immersive as the others as you are confined to a dungeon rather than a large open world, but still a decent roleplaying experience and no one has to DM.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan B.
United States
Shelby Township
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Defenders of the Realm might be just the game you are looking for. Great cooperative fun with a very strong fantasy theme. Worth a peek! This was one of the first games I personally bought when I discovered the hobby about a year ago and I still like playing it to this day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thayne Weston
United States
Nibley
Utah
flag msg tools
The die has been cast- Julius Caesar
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dannydeuce wrote:
Defenders of the Realm might be just the game you are looking for. Great cooperative fun with a very strong fantasy theme. Worth a peek! This was one of the first games I personally bought when I discovered the hobby about a year ago and I still like playing it to this day.

thumbsup this is a good one, plus I can get my wife to play it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.