Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rollo Tomosi
United States
San Juan Capistrano
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just the one lame vid from way back-seeming to emphasize the history of (The Knights Templar) at least as much as the game itself. People begging for rules, information, ANYTHING-no one will respond. The link to the authors web-site leads to approximately an empty page. Manufacturers website is in (Italian?)-but still seems to have little to say about this game. Yesterday (7/19/2013) it becomes available on pre-order (from CSI), today (7/20/13) 3 shill votes (of 9 each-no explanation) to bump its Average Rating from below 6.5 to a whopping 7.8+.

Odd-at best.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dark_Knight wrote:
Just the one lame vid from way back-seeming to emphasize the history of (The Knights Templar) at least as much as the game itself. People begging for rules, information, ANYTHING-no one will respond. The link to the authors web-site leads to approximately an empty page. Manufacturers website is in (Italian?)-but still seems to have little to say about this game. Yesterday (7/19/2013) it becomes available on pre-order (from CSI), today (7/20/13) 3 shill votes (of 9 each-no explanation) to bump its Average Rating from below 6.5 to a whopping 7.8+.

Odd-at best.

It is in stock at CSI. I'm sure we'll hear more soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LAURENT SOUDEE
France
flag msg tools
Without the rules...?whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rollo Tomosi
United States
San Juan Capistrano
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah. Makes me wonder if we are 'playing the game' right now...[roll "Twilight Zone" theme music]

pinpin 72 wrote:
Without the rules...?:whistle::D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Slowiak
United States
New Lenox
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dark_Knight wrote:

Odd-at best.

Don't forget pre-orders were done at Origins and those were in people's hands earlier.

As for the Italian website, I know they stated that they were having some issues with it and are trying to work on it.

I know I have stated that I have a copy of the game/rules, and have said if people wanted to ask that they could.

I have also seen a couple of rules questions asked here on the site and someone named Silvio(is it coincidence that that is the designer's name?) has answered.

I don't believe it is a conspiracy or anything like that. Just a newer publisher to the US.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rollo Tomosi
United States
San Juan Capistrano
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But hey, "Archipelago" showed us you can print and even sell a game without rules...da-dam-bomp! [Sorry - JUST couldn't help myself on that one]

Dark_Knight wrote:
Yeah. Makes me wonder if we are 'playing the game' right now...[roll "Twilight Zone" theme music]

pinpin 72 wrote:
Without the rules...?:whistle::D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rollo Tomosi
United States
San Juan Capistrano
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I can't believe I am actually typing this as I would have thought it so obvious that it needn't be said....BUT-as we are dancing around said 'elephant in room'...if, say for example YOU had a game that you had spent money developing, spent more money translating it into English for its "BIG US DEBUT!!!" wouldn't you go onto the biggest and most popular board-gaming Web-site in the US and try to drum up some enthusiasm? Like, by answering some of the questions that have been put out here? With like, for example, videos? Rulesets? Screenshots? Would the sum total of 'drumming up enthusiasm' be the 3 (shill votes) people who all came out of (??) yesterday to suddenly all 3 rate the game a 9, do it with just one minor comment?

Maybe not-eh?

Gnipp wrote:
Dark_Knight wrote:

Odd-at best.

Don't forget pre-orders were done at Origins and those were in people's hands earlier.

As for the Italian website, I know they stated that they were having some issues with it and are trying to work on it.

I know I have stated that I have a copy of the game/rules, and have said if people wanted to ask that they could.

I have also seen a couple of rules questions asked here on the site and someone named Silvio(is it coincidence that that is the designer's name?) has answered.

I don't believe it is a conspiracy or anything like that. Just a newer publisher to the US.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Slowiak
United States
New Lenox
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, just because 3 people voted 9 you think something weird is happening?

3.... Not 30, not 300.

The game prereleased and can play up to 4 players. Isn't it quite possible, and in fact quite realistic that people played the game and actually enjoyed it?

I understand we live in an era of the now. I understand that the majority of people put rules up early. But there is no problem if they don't. There is no secret evil gaming company who is out there undermining the industry trying to put out bad games secretly so that they can fool people out of their money and laugh maniacally to the bank.

Big game, newer company. Are their hiccups? Sure. But the game is now released, people will be putting up their reviews, pictures are going up here on bgg. Over time the ratings will most likely change up and down and eventually even out. This takes time. It's like when a baseball player hits 1 home run in the first game of the season. You can't realistically expect him to hit 162 that year. Things level out.

As for drumming up enthusiasm, I have seen updates and info on Facebook and a preview article in GTM. Again, could there have been more on bgg. Sure, but just because someone doesn't doesn't mean anything mysterious is happening.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Davidson
Japan
Nagoya
Aichi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dark_Knight wrote:
Yesterday (7/19/2013) it becomes available on pre-order (from CSI), today (7/20/13) 3 shill votes (of 9 each-no explanation) to bump its Average Rating from below 6.5 to a whopping 7.8+.

Two of the nines are by veteran BGG users with hundreds of ratings between them, so I would certainly not count them as shills.

The third nine is by an Italian member, making it a little more suspect, but she also has dozens of ratings and rates numerous games as nines (and one ten), so I don't think that rating is a shill either.

It's not like when that Vlad game came out, and half the ratings were 10's by Romanian users with no other board game ratings. shake

Early adopters tend to be predisposed toward giving highly anticipated games a favourable rating. Let's not make unfair judgments until we've actually got some reviews and video walkthroughs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Seguin
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulDavidson wrote:
Dark_Knight wrote:
Yesterday (7/19/2013) it becomes available on pre-order (from CSI), today (7/20/13) 3 shill votes (of 9 each-no explanation) to bump its Average Rating from below 6.5 to a whopping 7.8+.

Two of the nines are by veteran BGG users with hundreds of ratings between them, so I would certainly not count them as shills.

The third nine is by an Italian member, making it a little more suspect, but she also has dozens of ratings and rates numerous games as nines (and one ten), so I don't think that rating is a shill either.

It's not like when that Vlad game came out, and half the ratings were 10's by Romanian users with no other board game ratings. shake

Early adopters tend to be predisposed toward giving highly anticipated games a favourable rating. Let's not make unfair judgments until we've actually got some reviews and video walkthroughs.

I just finished playing my first game about an hour ago, and I have now just rated it a "9" as well. I enjoy heavy, large, epic, story-telling games (I love Middle-Earth Quest, Stronghold and War of the Ring (First Edition), for example), and this game fits the bill perfectly. I have previously rated 313 games prior to adding this one.

Am I a shill?

I think this is one of those "long play time" games that will get a small number of ratings, because "long play time" games don't hit the table very often for most groups. As such, it may not get the exposure that a game like Dominion or Ticket to Ride or Carcassonne or something like that has received. As such, I don't imagine a lot of ratings, but I do imagine many of the ratings that do get posted will have either high numbers (8+), or low numbers (3 or below). This is a kind of game that will have game enthusiasts clamoring for more, or setting it aside permanently.

I, for one, will be clamoring for more!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rollo Tomosi
United States
San Juan Capistrano
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I shall remain open-mindedly optimistic (as contradictory as those are)....how long did the game take?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Newyn
Italy
Correzzana
Italia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Rollo,
I tried to reply to all the questions received through the website and BGG, I'm sure to have not lost to reply to anyone, If i did I'm sorry and I'll go to reply asap, if I can find the question.

Our website is not in italian, but mainly in english, even if we are an italian company. We have encountered problems in uploading the booklet rules since is about 50MB document, because our website is not supporting documents so big, but we are working on this problem in order to solve asap. We are spending money in coming to US game convention to show the game as we did in Origins and we will do in Gencon next month (booth #671).
We hope to solve the upload problem of the rules before Gencon, but I'll glad - if you come to Gencon - to explain you the game personally.

The game is around in US from end of June when we ship the Origins preorders to our customers. We also demoed the game in Origins with final production copy.

But we brought final prototype also in Essen 2012 and other game shows in Italy when we played with attendees. Some special stores in Italy have already received the game at the beginning of the week, so probably some of these votes came from these players.

Anyway are still low numbers of vote and sooner or later will come other votes from US, French and German market, so we could have a better rating idea.

Let me know if you have any question for me.

Silvio
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rollo Tomosi
United States
San Juan Capistrano
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Silvio, for the reply. For right now I think just let us all know when the technical issues with the rules are taken care of. I know many of us are anxious to read the rules to get a clearer idea of what this game is about.

Again, thanks for the reply.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LAURENT SOUDEE
France
flag msg tools
Thanks for the reply

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Newyn
Italy
Correzzana
Italia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The english rules are available to be downloaded at the following link:
http://www.stratelibri.it/wp/?page_id=2873
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LAURENT SOUDEE
France
flag msg tools
Thanks a lot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rollo Tomosi
United States
San Juan Capistrano
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!

There is a link to that from the FaceBook page too-I downloaded them about 3 hours ago, am now up to page 8 "Phase I Missions"

Newyn wrote:
The english rules are available to be downloaded at the following link:
http://www.stratelibri.it/wp/?page_id=2873
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Seguin
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dark_Knight wrote:
I shall remain open-mindedly optimistic (as contradictory as those are)....how long did the game take?

The game took about three hours, but I put some of the blame on the fact that I had to explain the rules to my opponent. And, although I had read the rules straight through earlier in the day, there was still some rules tweaking that I had to deal with before we started.

For example, there were some instances whereby the rules could be interpreted slightly different, so it took concensus between the two of us to determine exactly what was trying to be conveyed. But I consider that standard fair for an "epic story telling" game such as this one. MEQ and WotR are two very similar games (in that regard) with big rule books that take some patience to slog through. However, in this case, patience and dilligence pays off in dividends.

I imagine that 4 players with prior experience playing it can crank it out in 2 hours or so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.