Xia: Legends of a Drift System» Forums » Rules

Subject: New Rulebook Posted as of 7/20/2013 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rav
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://faroffgames.com/images/Xia_Rulebook_Flow_WIP_opt.pdf

Posted in the latest kickstarter update.

Of note are the shield rule changes, that allow you to re-arm shields used in combat immediately after rolling them. That means if you have one marker available, you can use it each time someone attacks you until your turn comes around again.

This rule also makes it sensible to combine your attacks into one bigger shot. Also, to save a little energy for your ship's defense. I like it!

It also changed the rule for getting Fame Points from selling cargo. The change was minor: You get the FP for selling all the cargo on your ship, as long as it's at least 2 pieces. Simple change, seems like it could stop most exploits. Edit: Also, you can't jettison and grab the same cargo in the same turn, as Cody points out below.

Also, you can't buy your last Fame Point for 5,000 credits now. You have to go out and earn it. This should stop anti-climactic ends I'd think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave the Knave
United States
New York
flag msg tools
I still have a problem with the cube rule, but maybe it is for the best. Can't wait to find out.

1. Why deincentivise having more than one kind of cargo while being lawful? As it is written now you can only sell multiple kinds of cubes on an outlaw planet, so lawful ships would actually lose the selling FP for picking up more than one kind of cargo.
-This could be fixed by simply changing it to read "get a FP if you sell all cubes possible at that planet." i.e. if you have 4 red you have to sell 4 red. If you have 3 red and 2 blue you must sell all 3 red and you still get the FP even though you have 2 blue you were not able to sell at that planet.

2. EDITED: The new rule fixes the cargo exploit. Thanks Cody!

Anyway I am really looking forward to the game! Not trying to be hypercritical.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rav
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
deepfreeze wrote:
My big problems that the 2 cargo rule still does not fix.

1. Why deincentivise having more than one kind of cargo while being lawful? As it is written now you can only sell multiple kinds of cubes on an outlaw planet, so lawful ships would actually lose the selling FP for picking up more than one kind of cargo.
-This could be fixed by simply changing it to read "get a FP if you sell all cubes possible at that planet." i.e. if you have 4 red you have to sell 4 red. If you have 3 red and 2 blue you must sell all 3 red and you still get the FP even though you have 2 blue you were not able to sell at that planet.

2. Why not just as suggested previously just not allow cargo to be voluntarily ejected unless you are making room for something else (new cargo or new outfit). This simple rule completely ends the cargo exploit.

Anyway I am really looking forward to the game! Not trying to be hypercritical, but I had heard this was going to be clarified. The two cube rule makes it harder to do the exploit (maybe even to the point that it is not a viable strategy), but it does not address my first point at all.

I actually like the first point, as it gives a reason for the outlaw planets to exist. If you have two kinds of cargo, then the legal and lawful way is to fly to two planets, and only get a FP at the 2nd planet, assuming you had 2+ of that cargo. Takes a lot of time, and only get a FP at one of the stops.

Or you can take the bounty and sell off all your stuff at one stop, getting the FP and money in one go.

So I don't see it as a de-incentive to carry multiple cargo types, I see it as an incentive to either A: Plan your routes better or B: Use the outlaw posts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave the Knave
United States
New York
flag msg tools
I guess usually a lawful ship would only be carrying one kind of cube. They just mined a bunch or something. So it probably is not a huge deal. Also it encourages you to enter the unlawful planet which then encourages player interaction via bounty hunting.

And if the 2 cube/FP rule makes the dump strategy non-viable then that is as good a fix as any I suppose.

My other question about the cubes is that in the update it says that asteroids and nebulas both contain TWO different kinds of cubes. How does that work? Do you just pick which one you are going to mine? I actually like that because it makes the board a little more flexible for a mining strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rav
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
deepfreeze wrote:
I guess usually a lawful ship would only be carrying one kind of cube. They just mined a bunch or something. So it probably is not a huge deal. Also it encourages you to enter the unlawful planet which then encourages player interaction via bounty hunting.

And if the 2 cube/FP rule makes the dump strategy non-viable then that is as good a fix as any I suppose.

My other question about the cubes is that in the update it says that asteroids and nebulas both contain TWO different kinds of cubes. How does that work? Do you just pick which one you are going to mine? I actually like that because it makes the board a little more flexible for a mining strategy.

There are several sector tiles with nebulae, several sector tiles with asteroid fields. Some nebulae give holo, some nebulae give plasma. The cube color is printed on the sector tile itself. Same thing for the asteroid fields.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Miller
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys,

The cube exploit was a 2 part fix. One was the two cargo cubes for a fame point. The other was this line: "A player may not pick up any cargo that they jettisoned on that turn."

Cheers, -Cody
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rav
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sasachaz wrote:
Hey guys,

The cube exploit was a 2 part fix. One was the two cargo cubes for a fame point. The other was this line: "A player may not pick up any cargo that they jettisoned on that turn."

Cheers, -Cody

Didn't notice that line. That really helps, and won't stop any legit practices either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave the Knave
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Thanks for the clarification Cody! Really looking forward to playing! Thank you for all of the hard work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pate Blomqvist
Finland
Lahti
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Sorry if this goes to the wrong place but couldn't find a 'post message' button anywhere so had to use "reply" instead.

One question about Salvaging. In the rules it says: "1-3: The ship is immediately destroyed.. ..This cannot be prevented with Shield Outfits or Special Abilities." If I recall correctly, one of the ships had a tactical computer that can be used to re-throw a single die once per turn.

I understand that like with the star-tile you cannot block the damage from a bad throw with special abilities, but it makes sense that your tactical computer would be able to detect the mine/reactor and steer you away (hence re-throwing the die).

Is the mentioned passage written with that Special Ability in mind or should it be taken so that you cannot block the actual death but you still can use the ability to re-throw as then the "cannot be prevented" wouldn't take effect.

Any comments? Keep up the good work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Angel
United Kingdom
Bristol
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep pate, the card let's you re roll any dice roll. That would include rolls against yourself for passing through salvage/asteroid fields/nebula, and also harvesting/mining/salvaging.

That's how we have been playing it, you are chosing to re roll that salvage action so in effect you haven't yet rolled a 1-3. Special ability cards or outfits can't be used to mitigate the death though once a 1-3 is rolled.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Angel
United Kingdom
Bristol
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually now thinking about it I might have been wrong in my last post. 1-3 is death, your ship has exploded therfor your tactical computer has been blown up too.. hmm it'd be nice to have clarification on this

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.