Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Mellon
United States
Erie
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After the Goldbrau game, we pulled out RRT for a 5 player game. I was listening to BGTG or one of the other great gaming podcasts (All Games Considered, Boardgame Babylon, Roll 2d6, Dicetower (they have THE BEST contests!!) ) and the discussion was about the seriousness of the players. I lean more towards the serious side. I like to keep the game moving, but I’m not ubercompetative, and need to win. Well, this last game, I was tested, as were most of the other players.

A new player joined in, and refused to take any advice. As an example, I suggested that almost every game we’ve played, the winner has a substantial presence in the North East. He dutifully placed a link there. We then explained that in order to get money, he should deliver a cube using his newly created link. He decided that that wouldn’t be any fun, and instead took out 2 more shares, and urbanized a grey city. For …no….reason. This is just an example of his game play, that annoyed myself and every player at the table except his friend who invited him. Now granted, I don’t a player who makes a mistake, or a dumb move, but the things he did made no sense, and that throws the game off.

Coincidentally, his friend happened to be the major player in the NE and benefited greatly from his refusal to play the game. Ok, he played the game like a ‘monkey with a gun’. This allowed the one player to jump ahead of everyone and stay there. I don’t think the friend was trying anything as he’s a great guy, and I always enjoy playing against him.

I had the Chicago 2pts per link tycoon (Farhnam I think), who I get almost every game. There was a service bounty for Louisville in the initial draw, so I started there, and worked my way to Chicago. Pez worked the South, Crystal the South East.

With two cities left to empty, we knew we couldn’t catch the leader, so Pez took one for the team, and started making long deliveries across mostly my rails. He knew he couldn’t win, and I couldn’t either, unless he did this, to the great dismay of the lead player. I don’t count this game as a win, it was so painfull with the ‘bad’ player, that I just wanted it to end, and that’s really sad, because this is currently my and other players favorite game. Chalk this one up for playing in a public group versus a private one.

If you want to get the word out about how great board games are, you’ll get lemons every once in a while.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.