Popular Tags: [View All]
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So far, it's been a good February for me. I do most of my reading on business trips and having had a couple this month, I've finished:

1) Cell, by Stephen King
2) Imperial Grunts, by Robert Kaplan

Cell is a fun read, especially for those of us who are zombie flick fans. A nice, solid 4 out of 5 rating for me. Imperial Grunts is an amazing book that chronicles the various deployments of the US military from 2003 to 2005. Regardless of one's politics, it is a fascinating and enlightening read - I had no idea the USA had special forces groups in Mongolia! This one gets a 5 out 5 score!

So, what are the rest of you reading this month???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Kob
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Coming of Age in the Milky Way by Timothy Ferris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Civil Procedure, Yeazell
Sales: A Systems Approach, Keating
2005 Comprehensive Commercial Law: Statutory Supplement, Mann, Warren, Westbrook
Property: Cases and Materials, Johnson, Smith, Cribbet, Findley
Criminal Procedure: Investigating Crime, Dressler, Thomas
Legal Method and Writing, Calleros

This is my January - May reading... cry

When time permits ( laugh ) I've been reading the Wild Card series books, edited by George R.R. Martin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burke Glover
United States
Unspecified
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
Right now I'm on the second chapter of Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman. It's in the same fictional realm as American Gods which was pretty darn good. I'll have to pick up Cell at some point. I'm still a pretty big Stephen King fan, though I don't jump on his stuff like I used to. I do like Zombies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Valdir Jorge
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In February I finished reading Retribution by Randall Scott Ingermanson, an interesting science fiction book about time travelers stranded in Jerusalem in the years leading to the revolt that led to the destruction of the great temple by the Romans. Even though I don't share the author's religious view, it's still a powerful read.

Right now I'm reading Switch by Carol Guess, a book about a lesbian waitress in a small town somewhere in the US. Nothing to write home about, but still an interesting way to pass time.

Both books I took from my university library, and I chose them only by their covers (I know, I know, "don't judge a book by its cover"...) and was pleasantly surprised by both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mb
A Cthuluhu book by Lovecraft
Shadows over Innsmouth, an antholgy/tribute to Lovecraft
A Java programming textbook
One of the many "Davinci Code Cracked!" books. Don't ask which, I don't remember.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm about half way through A Clash of Kings by George R.R. Martin, which is the second book in the A Song of Ice and Fire series (the first one being A Game of Thrones). I really liked the first book, and am enjoying the second, looking forward to the third, and hoping the fourth comes out on paperback before I finish the third.

meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Adams
United States
Brigham City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In February I finished The Americans: The Colonial Experience by Daniel J. Boorstin. I would read a major section, put it down for a few months until the mood hit again then read another one, so it's been a while with that one. Really enjoyed it though.

Then I started and finished in February
Camille by Alexandre Dumas, fils
The Diamond Age by Neal Stephenson
A few graphic novels that looked interesting but weren't

I was really surprised by Stephenson's book. It's not quite what I expected and I enjoyed it much more than I expected to.

And now I just started Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I wish I could leave my bones and my skin and float over the tired, tired sea, so that I could see you again
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Spoon!
badge
Well, once again we find that clowning and anarchy don't mix.
mbmbmbmbmb
The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane, Kate DiCamillo
Stardust, Neil Gaiman
A Game of Thrones, George R.R. Martin
Confessions of a Cineplex Heckler, Joe Queenan
Black Rednecks and White Liberals, Thomas Sowell
The Demon in the Freezer, Richard Preston

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mb
I do audible.com

Current: Getting Things Done
Next up: Cell

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Tavener
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
The overtext below is true.
badge
The overtext above is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
The Tetherballs of Bougainville
Sleep With Me
Scatterbrain - Larry Niven
The Burning City - Niven & Pournelle
The Magic Goes Away / The Magic Will Return / ? (3 books, Niven and others)
4 Star wars spin-offs, 'cos I like the authors (Matt Woodring Stover, Walter Jon Williams)
Jaran
Relic (Preston & Child)
Reliquary

Enjoyed most of these apart from The Tetherballs of Bougainville, which started off well, but quickly got incoherent with recursive pretentiousness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Australia
Parkville
Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
May you find the Perfect Shoe! xxx
badge
Mostly offline, but trying.
mbmbmbmbmb
A Feast for Crows, by George RR Martin

I've read the first 4 books in the series since the end of January. Marvellous.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virre Linwendil Annergård
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Bajen!
badge
... and still sober
mbmbmbmbmb
lets see February has been Pratchett rereading month

Feet of clay (in Swedish)
Monstourus Regiment
Going Postal
Thud! (Oh look it's even boardgame releated)
Soul Music (In Swedish im afraid)

ah yea and a Swedish book about how Sweden were not neutral in WW2.
And someother light reading. And soon I have money and it's book
sales month now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
za nouge
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
Still reading The Enigma of Japanese Power by Karel von Wolferem, which is taking me forever because I have no time... if you're at all interested in modern Japanese society, this is a fascinating read - it's basically a thesis about the way power works in Japan and how it (and the post-war bureaucracts) has shaped modern Japanese culture.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark camp
United States
Lesser Binghamton Area
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Currently, I'm reading Under the Black Flag by David Cordingly. It's a history of pirates that also compares and contrasts historical reality with films and novels. Before that I read Borges' Book of Imaginary Beings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin M
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Vengeance of Rome, the fourth part of the Pyat Quartet by Michael Moorcock. Published 14 years after part three this was a very long wait for the last part of a brilliant and distrubing take on 20th century history.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Beyond the Pillars of Hercules' - tales of the exploration and the explorers of the ancient world. The chapter on Pytheas' 'discovery' of Britain has been fascinating. Very instructive to discover that 'ultima Thule' the furthest point from civilisation in the then known world (the 4th century BC) was (is) most likely in Scotland!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin
United States
glennallen
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Margaret Fuller's A Woman in the 19th Century
Harriet Jacob's Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl
Benita Eisler's The Lowell Offering
Catharine William's Fall River

Robert Graves' Goodbye to All That
Shaw's Heartbreak House
Sherriff's Journey's End
D.H. Lawrence's The Prussian Officer

and various comic books and graphic novels

Grad School Rocks!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Right now I'm reading:

Building Harlequins' Moon by Larry Niven
and Field Guide to The Apocalypse by Meghann Marco which is kind of a humour book.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
This user is outstanding in mediocre videogaming
badge
Did you visit my www.kobudovenlo.nl? It has game info
mbmbmb
Harry Potter's last two.

I started in the newest, at last, but discovered I had no idea what is was about. Couldn't remember what happened in the previous. So started to reread that oneshake

Reading half of the HarryP books in english and the other half in dutch doesn't help either, since all names are also translated in dutch variations laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virre Linwendil Annergård
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Bajen!
badge
... and still sober
mbmbmbmbmb
Gery McLaughlin wrote:
'Beyond the Pillars of Hercules' - tales of the exploration and the explorers of the ancient world. The chapter on Pytheas' 'discovery' of Britain has been fascinating. Very instructive to discover that 'ultima Thule' the furthest point from civilisation in the then known world (the 4th century BC) was (is) most likely in Scotland!

Sounds higly unlikley due to what I read about archelogy and trade with the a bit more nothern countries (but again I can be wrong). This I most look upon someway. I want evidence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angus the Bull
United States
Elyria
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've fallen back on the classics. Since I've never read it, I've been reading A Tale of Two Cities, Dickens.
Next in the queue is Great Expectations

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel Wolfe
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just finished, for big book group: The Time Traveller's Wife (skimmed, actually; I read it about a year ago and it's too long to re-read)

Just finished, for little book group: Stranger in a Strange Land

Halfway through these two: The Piano Tuner (loving it! Great storytelling) and The Seville Communion (OK, not my favorite Perez-Reverte)

On deck: Wonder Boys

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve H
United States
Addison
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
-The Sheriff of Nottingham by Richard Kluger - a new look at one of Literature's most villainous characters from a historical perspective.
-Post Captain by Aubrey Maturin - 2nd in the series, not for the faint of heart as Maturin’s work is chock full of nautical terminology.
-rereading the Legends of Camber of Culdi by Katherine Kurtz - about to finish Vol. III. I’m not sure why I wanted to begin this series again, but now that I’m half way through the third book I may as well finish
-Lessons Learned in Software Testing by Kaner, Bach, Pettichord - work related.

-Not quite next in queue: June release of The Book of the Dead by Preston and Childs. IMHO, about the best page turning best seller fiction being printed today. On order from Amazon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stven Carlberg
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Recently discovered Patricia McKillip with Od Magic and then read Alphabet of Thorn and have started In the Forest of Serre.

Also am about 80 pages into Umberto Eco's The Name of the Rose.

Read Cormac McCarthy's No Country for Old Men back in October but just read a review of it last night that reminded me of much I liked about it... though if you're going to read McCarthy for the first time you might as well start with his best, All the Pretty Horses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.