Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rodrigo R.
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have Dust Tactics Revised core set by FFG (and also Warhammer 40.000 Tau and Space Marines) and just acquired the Axis medium panzer Walker Luther/Ludwig/Lothar.

I was appalled by the difference in quality between the core set and a miniature purchased separately. I don't mean this as a rant, but the experience made me feel bad, as if I had taken the bait (the beautiful core set) and now had to swallow the distasteful truth.

The mini has no casting problems. It is easy to assemble, just like the two from the core set, and you can keep using its box to carry it around. Cards are alright and it all looks great from afar (i.e. on the battlefield).

One problem is that the parts were clipped off the original sprues in a very crude way: you can see the extra plastic all over the mini (there's even flash). They couldn't even use an Army Painter's cutter! If you care about it, that means you'll have to cut, file and reprime the areas.

Another problem (a big one) was that the arm sockets were very tight. Each different arm was very difficult to insert, and extremely difficult to detach. I had to rotate the arm and pull it to make it easier. But the Kampfzange arm's peg gave in to the stress: the arm came off, but the peg got stuck inside the socket hole. I'm sure I'll get at least the arm and chassis replaced, if not a whole new miniature, but it sucks when you know you weren't doing anything out of the ordinary, and you can't play with your new toy.
One more thing: the Nebelwerfer hinge is so delicate that one of them broke as I was twisting it out.

Last, but not least, as the panzer walker is a complex machine, it has many joints, plating, its structure is bulky - exactly what I'd expect from an alternative WW2 mech. The miniature is well sculpted, but not well designed, because the arms bump into the knees (if only we, the players, could have assembled it at a different knee angle). And the arms do have joints, but the armor plates lock them in place - it just looks silly, because you can see the joint has some flexibility to it (or simple looseness), but no actual posing possibility cry

So, fellow Dust Tactics/Warfare players, beware: even though the game is fun and the miniatures are beautiful, their quality is not as good as the core set.

As a visual reference, I'd give the Dust Tactics Revised Core Set
But only for the Walker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Apollo
United States
Woodbridge
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I disagree. I have purchased numerous vehicles and units individually, and I have been not only pleased, but amazed at the quality especially complex models like the airplanes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like you got a dud.

I have bought many (too many) Dust Tactics vehicles, and they all are very well produced.

Contact FFG and explain the situation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Never had a problem and have been very impressed with the quality and production value.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence Lee
United States
Arcadia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No problems here either and I've bought a lot already. The only problem I ever had was with Bazooka Joe. His arm was twisted at an odd angle, but FFG was quick to replace it. That was from the starter set and not an expansion too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simone C.
Italy
Roma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dust miniatures are ones of the best on the market for quality vs price, no assembly required, torso twist, primed, very little flesh, so I think you had a problem with yours (i own over 1000 pts of allies and axis armies, never found problems like yours, you are unlucky or something else...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodrigo R.
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I took what you guys said into consideration, and concluded that I needed to have some idea of what you consider amazing, (highly) consistent quality and production value:

Those are defects that appear on top of the model. Comparing with the two walkers from the core set, it's a step down in quality for me.

But yes, I've already contacted FFG and am positive they'll provide good customer service, just like before.

I thank you all for your inputs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have one of each of everything Axis and Allies, and none of them look like that. You got a dud - it happens - it isn't representative of the whole. You should contact FFG or Dust Studios about this, and see if they can resolve the issue for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GrandPop McPopenstrudel
msg tools
I have tons of DT models, a lot of stuff from all three available armies (and doubles of units too), and for the most part they are of fantastic quality.

Only a couple of small issues, like the heads on some of the SSU troops seem to use a weak, tacky glue to join them so I simply reglued them.

I'm also not a fan of how the Wotan's Heavy Lasers swing from side to side when attached to the body, but this could also be solved with super glue.

Here and there the design of the way the walker sculpts fit and stay together can be a little hit and miss, but overall I'm really pleased with the quality of the DT models.

Best gaming models I've seen by a long shot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If it were me, I'd probably just paint some rust colours over those ugly parts and claim it's all on purpose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Montana
flag msg tools
I gotta agree with everyone else on here...I've bought tons of Dust stuff over the years and I haven't had any problems. I come from a very traditional miniatures background, meaning I'm used to doing all the cleaning, assembly, and priming myself, and I'm often amazed at how well the Dust stuff is assembled.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.