Popular Tags: [View All]
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is my logic flawed or isn't 6-of-a-kind statistically harder to get than a 6-card straight flush? Using a simple example, if I have 5 cards in my hand, say the green 11 thru 15, there are two cards that'll give me a 6-card straight flush (the green 10 or the green 16). However, if instead I have five 8's, there's only one card that'll give me 6-of-a-kind (the remaining 8). Seems to me that there's a better chance of getting the 6-card straight flush as opposed to 6-of-a-kind; therefore it seems to me the 6-of-a-kind should be the highest hand (for the same reason, 5-of-a-kind should be higher than a 5-card straight flush). Don't get me wrong, I love playing Havoc as it is, but in the several games we've played, I've seen a decent amount of 6-card straight flushes but not a single 6-of-a-kind, and it made me wonder. So, any math majors out there that can set me straight on this???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wot!
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
...i WILL own it all!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I had not thought of it before ... but you are soooo right.
I think in Poker a 5-card Straight Flush beats 4-of-a-kind... so I would expect a Havoc 6 card straight flush to beat a 5-of-a-kind hand and then 6-of-a-kind to be the highest.

This has got to be right ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Smiles
United States
Dedham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
admin
The ratio of people to cake is too big.
badge
Excuse me, I believe you have my stapler...
mbmbmbmbmb
The difference is that in poker, the next card you get is random. In Havoc, the desicion to spend your cards in battle or wait for better cards or a different battle exists. There is also the manner in which cards are collected. Both the ability to draw face up cards from a display as well as the ability to draw and discard one you don't like make pure probability calculations less meaningful. I'm sure the rank of hands is derived from playtesting and not purely based on the likely hood of a hand occurring based on drawing random cards. Poker would be a very different game if you could hold cards from one hand over to the next.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Plus, as Adam also noted in a separate thread, it doesn't really matter in what order you put 6-of-a-kind and straight flushes, as the single factor that determines most which is easier to collect is what other players are collecting.

- d

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
asmiles wrote:
The difference is that in poker, the next card you get is random. In Havoc, the desicion to spend your cards in battle or wait for better cards or a different battle exists. There is also the manner in which cards are collected. Both the ability to draw face up cards from a display as well as the ability to draw and discard one you don't like make pure probability calculations less meaningful. I'm sure the rank of hands is derived from playtesting and not purely based on the likely hood of a hand occurring based on drawing random cards. Poker would be a very different game if you could hold cards from one hand over to the next.

I mostly agree, but even taking out the random factor, if I'm collecting cards by drafting them out of the recruits pool, I'm still thinking I've got a better chance to draft a 6-card straight flush than 6-of-a-kind. I was also thinking that the hand strengths in Havoc, as in Poker, were based on probability...but I could be wrong...wish I could recall all of my statistics lessons from oh so long ago...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Bridges
United States
Nazareth
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
The stronger the telescope, the more stars there are...
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope you guys noticed that there are only (in the 108 card game) 18-6 of a kinds to be made, but 84 different 6 card straight flushes that can be made. It must have something to do with drawing cards and playtesting.

Maybe it is to balance the fact that straights and flushes are inefficient, since gathering cards of the same rank can win a battle without expending 5 cards. So if you get a chance to get the 6th of the same rank it should be beaten by somebody who did something I would consider riskier, since a straight flush is a major investment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.