Spain
Dobro (Los Altos)
Burgos
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

Several years ago I proposed a variant for Across Five Aprils, and posted it in Consimworld. It also appeared in Battles Magazine. I had tested it and worked quite well. The objective was –as you may imagine- to fix the problems associated with the Combat chits, that have been mentioned so many times here and in other forums.

Recently I read another interesting variant proposed by Stephen Oliver, and inspired by it, I decided to try a different modification to the rules. I took Stephen’s main change, modified it a bit, and added a pair of things that already appeared in my first variant. I have started testing this new variant, playing three scenarios until now -Pea Ridge, Shilo and Bentonville-, and I am very happy with the results!

Above all, this is a simple and easy variant. It changes the way of managing the Combat chits, eliminating the troubles caused by the original rules, but maintaining the spirit of the game system. And it also favors the attacker a little, trying to make offensives a bit more feasible.

I will continue testing this variant and writing here my impressions. If someone else wants to try it, feedback would be welcome.

EDIT: I have also played 1st Bull Run and Gettysburg (1st day) with my rule variant and I have confirmed that it works fine! Definitely I will use this variant every time I play this nice game.

David

RULE VARIANT

COMBAT MARKERS

- Combat is NO longer mandatory when drawing a Combat marker (Confederate or Union).

- Markers are still drawn one by one, as usual. When drawing a Movement marker, the Player may move all the units associated to that marker, as usual. When drawing a Combat marker (Confederate or Union), the corresponding Player takes it and he may use it immediately, or keep it for later use (he decides).

- If a Player decides to keep his Combat marker, he will be able to use it later after drawing any Movement marker from his side; he must make all movements first, and then use the Combat marker.

- When a Combat marker is used, the Player may attack with as many as his units as he wishes. That is, he may attack with some of them, and not with others. But, if a unit attacks, ALL enemy units in its ZOC must be attacked (with adjacent units or artillery bombardment).
Note: Since Combat is no longer mandatory, Automatic Retreat rules are no longer applied.

- Each Combat marker may be used only ONCE per turn. Once used, the Combat marker is left apart and it will go back to the cup at the end of the turn (as it happens with the Movement markers).

- If the turn ends (all the Movement and Combat markers have been drawn) and a Player still has not used his Combat marker, that marker goes back to the cup with the rest of markers (it is unused on that Turn).

Note: The next two rules were already in my previous variant.

NEW ROUNDING OF COMBAT ODD RATIOS (Favors the attacker)

If the division of the attack strength by the defense strength (in its decimals) is bigger than or equal to 0.5 the odd ratio is rounded UP, favoring the ATTACKER.
Examples:
3 against 2 = 2-1
5 against 3 = 2-1
16 against 6 = 3-1

This applies the same when the attack factors are less than the defense factors.
Examples:
2 against 3 = 1-1
4 against 6 = 1-1
7 against 15 = 1-2

ARTILLERY BOMBARDMENT

When an artillery unit makes a bombardment attack, its attack factor is divided by two, but the fractions are rounded UP.
Examples:
Attack factor of 1 = 1
Attack factor of 2 = 1
Attack factor of 3 = 2

When several artillery units bombard the same objective, their attack factors are NOT added and neither is the total divided by two. First, the attack factors of EACH artillery unit are divided by two (remembering the new rule mentioned before), and later those attack factors already divided are added.
Example:
Two artillery units with attack factors of 1 and 3 respectively bombard together. First, each factor is divided by two rounding up the fractions. The results are 1 and 2. Both factors are then added and the final attack factor in that bombardment is 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Regulski
United Kingdom
LEEDS
ENGLAND
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
YES it seems a view is that the combat chits rules are not that good. [ But it was the designers intention that the timing of attacks should not be predictable. ] I suggest a possible 3rd way >>

In every battle there is a " strategic defensive side " { and a " strategic offensive side " }. This may alter in battles that last more than one day [ eg Shiloh] My rule change >>

USE the existing rules as they stand for the " strategic Offensive ".
BUT the " strategic defensive side also count the terrain their unit{s} are in,as column shifts in their favour.. [ in addition to all other shifts..] That's it !

{ using the above it is still likely to get " uncoordinated " attacks by one side - such a feature of Civil war battles - at the same time the defensive side get to use the terrain more to their advantage "

Regards
Paul R.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Carter
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Polish5 wrote:
YES it seems a view is that the combat chits rules are not that good. [ But it was the designers intention that the timing of attacks should not be predictable. ] I suggest a possible 3rd way >>

In every battle there is a " strategic defensive side " { and a " strategic offensive side " }. This may alter in battles that last more than one day [ eg Shiloh] My rule change >>

USE the existing rules as they stand for the " strategic Offensive ".
BUT the " strategic defensive side also count the terrain their unit{s} are in,as column shifts in their favour.. [ in addition to all other shifts..] That's it !

{ using the above it is still likely to get " uncoordinated " attacks by one side - such a feature of Civil war battles - at the same time the defensive side get to use the terrain more to their advantage "

Regards
Paul R.

Can you give an example, as I'm extraordinarily thick and don't quite get what you intend. You seem to have given defenders yet another advantage when the standard rules are pretty favourable to the defenders anyway...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.