Subject: 4 player game question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Todd
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In a 3 player game there are two spots available at each location to place workers.

Has anyone tried to play a 4 player game using all three spots at each location (including the spot reserved for 5/6 players)?

Just curious....

I have played a 4 player and 6 player game. I did not enjoy the downtime during the 6 player game and in general feel that the game is too tight with an even number of players (something that has been stated a lot on the geek).

We played with the Grande each time and it helps a bit.

I was just wondering if people have tried this simple solution for a 4 player game.... I would think it would allow for the same feel as a 3 player game.

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Pesti
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For the downtime with many players, which is problem with MANY games (with few exceptions for example 7 Wonders, Puerto Rico and so on), I suggest you http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9mPFdEkf_E. DGT Cube. A very easy to use and intuitive game timer. Really worth it, kills AP players, but helps everyone else too. This on the other hand takes away from the laid back wine sipping feeling of Viticulture, but if you're GAMING this is the solution!

Now to your other problem. I myself enjoy the even player games, maybe even more than with odd numbers. You need to adapt a lot and I do like that. Making 3 spots available for 4 players opens the game up A LOT and I'm afraid it might be too much. In proportion 3 spaces for 4 players is more than 2 spaces for 3 players.

Naturally, no one's stopping you. Another suggestion I might give you is try giving the temporary worker an ability to work even on full posts. This idea is from Sarah Reed and I really like the idea of it. I haven't tested it but it sounds great, but it is indeed quite powerful. Jamey has been toying with an idea of giving Grande Workers the ability to use the full spots, but that for me would feel like too open game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Reed
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the credit, Kristian! We have played several times with the grey worker having the ability to play on a full action space area. It works very well and makes the grey worker actually worth taking.

We've also started testing the new game rules, inclduing the Grande Worker having the ability to use the full spots and it's working out good. I hope to have our first session report up today. I'm also hoping to play again soon with both the Grande Worker and grey meeple having the ability to take full action spots. I think it will work very well for those who feel the game is too tight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.