Subject: Question about some of the Strategic Tips rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Todd
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have not played...trying to understand the strategy before I teach it.

"Boosting Revenues. A favorite of dotcom era Telco's is the asset swap: I sell you my product, you sell me yours, we both book revenues. A great way to postpone that painful stepdown by one more turn."

- I thought you could not sell Assets, so how does the asset swap work?

"Hiring Assets...Simply trade the goods for a 1 bill, let them be processed, and buy back the resulting goods for the agreed on rent."

- Why would anyone sell back the processed good at any less than the current market price? Seems like a huge risk depending on the current price for the good. How would this work in actual gameplay?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can't sell assets. Poor choice of word there.

As for "renting assets" this does happen. Some times only one company can make a good, e.g. Microchips. You basically agree on a price for processing the good. The actual price can vary wildly. There are many incentives for how money moves around in this game. I find it is rarely as simple as "give my company the most money possible". Sometimes you want their company to have more money. Sometimes you control two companies and want to skew their books.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.