Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jarrett Dunn
United States
Tulsa
OK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So just a question, does anyone know of anyone who manufactures card sleeves for 120mm x 80mm? I looked around and can't find any online, thought someone else may know of a source. Though I am thinking this is another area which Brett & Worldspanner can expand into . I'll be happy to help with QC .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Estrick

Irvine
California
msg tools
Just remember... no matter what happens... I'll always love you. ALWAYS.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mayday makes a sleeve called Magnum that is 80x120. It fits perfectly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarrett Dunn
United States
Tulsa
OK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sir501 wrote:
Mayday makes a sleeve called Magnum that is 80x120. It fits perfectly.

Thanks bud, just found them after looking at your post. For those interested the ones you apparently want are the ones for "Dixit"

http://maydaygames.com/card-sleeves-80-120-mm-100-pack-magnu...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And they are likely made by Swan Panasia which also have them possibly both 122x80 and 120x80 and in both thin and thick.

Whereas Mayday possibly only have them in their standard thickness.

I ordered the Swan Panasia 122x80 thick ones and it's a very tight fit but I can see how the thin ones may have slighly more room. At least some sleeves bended the cards slightly for a roundness and then the plastic on the shorter side got straight beneath. However they come in packages of 90 so 3 such packages are 270 and there's 192 character cards in the game + 6 player aids so for what's released now you've got 72 sleeves to spare for bad fit.

Personally I just decided to not use the ones which gave me the most tight fit and put the stack of the character cards under ~ 34 kg of weight for a night and I don't think there's much problem with them.

Sure 0,5 / possibly 1 mm would had been slightly better but they totally work (the ones I use) as is. You can see some of the cards in the sleeves in my video, I could make one from the side to.

My challenge cards I put in FFG sleeves and my other cards I put in Swan Panasia 65x90 mm thin sleeves. Some of those sleeves got mild imperfections like some small spec or scratch from the manufacturing / sorting / packaging process. The plastic doesn't appear perfectly flat when you look at the glare / surface of it either. They fit perfectly with no extra sleeve length so if you want that get some which are 92 mm long instead.

One positive to say about them is that they are clearer than the thicker sleeves (both Swan Panasia thick and FFG.)

I don't know if I want to recommend them thought. I ordered them because 800+ FFG sleeves cost quite a bit and becomes quite a stack of cards but both good and bad these are much less slippery and more easily stick together and they don't give much/I'd say any extra strength to the cards. So yeah. They are adequate for sleeving the card and putting it into a protective cover but they don't improve shuffling and they simply don't feel as nice as the FFG / thick sleeves.

However the same is likely true for the Mayday Dixit Standard sleeves against the 80x122 mm thick Swan Panasia sleeves I ordered to. Those still don't really seem to have as high quality as the FFG sleeves (which got perfect edges, perfect flat surfaces) but they have about / almost the same slippery feel. I don't know how people actually feel about handling the thin/standard sleeves.

I don't know where it's the most issue either, equipment & guardians or characters.

Personally I would still had ordered the thicker sleeves for characters if I where to order again (maybe it could had been fun to check the size of the thinner ones and the mayday though.)

As for the rest of the cards though the question is whatever it's worth being cheap and worth it for having stacks which doesn't slide around and fall over and take up a lot of room and where you can have ONE stack for one thing by getting the thinner sleeves or whatever it's smarter to step it up and either get at least Swan Panasias thicker sleeves or the FFG ones. The FFG ones got the overhang which imho likely protect the card more from peoples fingers over time and still have some better quality but I think they will also cost about twice as much for a very equal product.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarrett Dunn
United States
Tulsa
OK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Man thanks Johan, had no idea about Swan Panasia. They even have sleeves for the GOOs in AH and the Cosmic Encounter races. What is their premium sleeve quality like? Comparable to say FFG?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Schoening
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The thick Swan Panasia sleeves are a little thinner then the FFG ones just as good in terms of quality.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't say "as good" when comparing them side by side.

My feeling is also that they are somewhat thinner. I don't know how much though, Mayday and Arcane Tinman is also thinner aren't they? 90 and 80 micron? These are likely like either of those.

I did a quick check and my bigger thick sleeves got those small "cuts" in them horisontally against the sleeve which I assume is from processing. I don't know how much that matters for someone since they will likely have more scratches quite soon and it may not show all that much and possibly you can put it on the text side and what not. But it's there on SOME of them.

Also not something which you'll likely be bothered with but what is there when you compare them is that the sides isn't as evenly cut / welded.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
And the thinner ones got a slight textured reflection / glare on them and in some cases like a little dust spec / bursted bubble / whatever might had caused it. Not fair to compare with the thin ones though.

So imho it's fairly obvious that the FFG ones are of a (in this area much?) higher quality. They are perfect all the time and everywhere.

But the Swan Panasia sleeves may be better than the China (Swan ones are from Taiwan) produced regular Mayday sleeves.

When viewed against a window they got almost all of the cloudiness of the FFG sleeves whereas the thin ones are very transparent and even if they may not be just as slippery they are still plenty slippery in the same way as the FFG sleeves.

So I'd say they behave like FFG sleeves and come in more sizes and are cheaper but the lower price come at a cost of somewhat lower quality and if you want your sleeves to be perfect some of them won't cut it. If good enough is good enough and you want to save money on sleeves buy some and I doubt you'll be unhappy with them.

I ordered mine from http://www.smiling-monster.de/ but in the US http://swanpanasiasleeves.com/ likely is the way to go. It was those or ordering from http://www.boardgameguru.co.uk/ or http://www.boardgameextras.co.uk/ for me. Even if they aren't perfect I don't regrett that I didn't bought the standard maydays / thin ones instead.

And yeah. Mayday sell Swan Panasia sleeves. I think it started with this:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/maydaygames/50-types-siz...

Before ordering some myself I hadn't really heard anything bad about them but it's hard to know whatever "I like them" mean "They are great!" or "For the price these are the ones I'd get!"

For about half the price on their thick ones against FFG ones these may be what I order for future games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.