9 Posts

Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » Strategy

Subject: 200 point game - What to build? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joseph Woodworth
Japan
flag msg tools
Any suggestions? I'm paralyzed by choices! so many choices!

I'm to build a 200 point imperial fleet...
At my disposal, I have

8 tie fighters
4 tie interceptors
4 tie advanced
2 slave 1..

In order to avoid bias, I'll be not posting my initial thoughts

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Vore
United States
Lebanon
Oregon
flag msg tools
Send me a trade offer!
badge
I WANT MY TWO DOLLARS!
mbmbmbmbmb
two firesprays for sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Wilkins
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This is a great resource if you've never used it before:

http://x-wing.voidstate.com/build

Extremely helpful for keeping your points tallied, especially if your building a big fleet.

Competitive players would probably poo poo this list, but here's an all elites squadron:

- Boba Fett, Heavy Laser Cannon, Expert Handling, Merc Copilot
- Vader, Cluster Missiles, Daredevil, Engine Upgrade
- Soontir Fel, Push the Limit, Stealth Device
- Turr Phenir, Stealth Device
- Howlrunner
- Dark Curse
- Night Beast
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The R5Donth Star II
Canada
Hamilton
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What is the match time limit?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John DiMaggio
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
What size board are you playing on, 6, 12, more asteroids? If it were me, I'd stay true to form and play swarm-y, all 8 TIEs and 2 firesprays. The biggest problem I can forsee is just moving all those ships without crashing into yourself, or your opponents. As such, perhaps trying to put as many ships as you can into 1 or 2 pilot skill brackets would be wise. Here's my 2 cents:

2 x Bounty Hunter + Assault Missile + Seismic Charge
Howlrunner + Determination + Stealth Device
2 x Black Squadron + Draw their Fire
1 x Black Squadron + Squad Leader
4 x Obsidian TIE

200 pts.

You have howl to give bonus to all your ties, a lot of splash through Bounty hunters, and almost everything flying at PS 3 + 4. You could use Vader for assault missiles but assuming you're playing vs. rebels, I'd just target a low agility target like a y-wing or falcon and blast that for the splash. If need be, you have a squad leader to give 1 bounty hunter a target lock/focus missile attack. Seismic charges are obvious, more splash. Just speaking from experience, running 7-8 TIE swarms is TOUGH, and having the flexibility of choosing which TIE/ship activates and moves first is incredibly useful.

This will do vs. rebels but if you're against imperials you might have a long haul with 2 attack dice vs 3 defense dice. God-speed as that game will take you 4 hours
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John DiMaggio
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
Also a fan of this if you want more named TIEs for flankers. Run Academies, Howl and Black squad as a 6 TIE swarm, Backstabber and Mauler as flankers, and find somewhere on your tiny, tiny 3x3 board for the bounty hunters

2 x Bounty Hunters + Assault Missiles + Seismic Charges
Backstabber
Mauler Mithel
Howl Runner + Push the Limit + Stealth Device
Black Squadron + Draw their Fire
4 x Academy TIE

Try and get your assault missiles off early as you'll most likely splash your own TIEs after round 2. Find a juicy Falcon to shoot it at if possible too for maximum splash area and chance-to-hit
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Woodworth
Japan
flag msg tools
R5Don4 wrote:
What is the match time limit?

2.5 hours - due to other events afterwards - we have a half hour of setup or teardown added to that, so a 3 hour max...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Woodworth
Japan
flag msg tools
I'll be facing rebels. I actually know the list that I'm facing as it's not a "tournament" - I don't want to specifically build to counter his list - The only reason I know it, is because it's his first major game - and he's using my stuff - but we can't meet up till game time - so he's using voidstate's builder as well - this way I could make sure I actually had everything he is going to use and make pointers...

(His first list for instance had a lot of torpedo's and red x and y wings, without dutch or garven...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John DiMaggio
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
ravncat wrote:
I'll be facing rebels. I actually know the list that I'm facing as it's not a "tournament" - I don't want to specifically build to counter his list - The only reason I know it, is because it's his first major game - and he's using my stuff - but we can't meet up till game time - so he's using voidstate's builder as well - this way I could make sure I actually had everything he is going to use and make pointers...

(His first list for instance had a lot of torpedo's and red x and y wings, without dutch or garven...)

Eh, if it's his first game, the first few lists provided might be a bit too competitively abusive for a first-timer. If ya just want to have a fun casual, huge game, perhaps drop the splash damage and howlrunner, and add a few interceptors and darth vader for funseys and leave the assault missiles and seismic charges + firespray's at home. Maybe 1 firespray so he can see what it can do.

My rationale for bringing all the ships is that it might be nice for him to see the capabilities and variety offered by both all of the ships on both sides in one game. My apologies, I'm a bit of a power-gamer so I don't wanna suck the fun out of your friend's first-time experience!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.