Hide
8 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Murder Mysteries rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jack McRipper
msg tools
I was looking up ways to host a murder mystery for a Halloween party. There was a lot of options for using one but I was hoping to consult a person instead of the articles I was reading from Google searches since this community has a history of being helpful.

I don't have very specific requirements but I'll try listing what I'd like.

-I'd like to spend a relatively low amount of money. We have halloween decorations and a large enough house to work something out, but I don't want to have each of my guests buy some fancy suit or costume, since most of them are already wearing their halloween one.
-My friends are a very mixed group, so some of them like acting, others don't but enjoy the idea of a murder mystery for a party theme.
-Can murder mysteries involve supernatural? I haven't attended any so I'm completely new to this concept.

Are there any board games that would make this easier or does making your own murder mystery simply work out way too much better to compare to a store-bought script and plot?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What about Werewolf?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yer checking out some games like werewolf etc might be worth a look for Halloween.

So I have a few questions which will dramatically alter the answers you'll get;

1) How many players are you expecting?
2) Are the expected players all guaranteed to turn up and on time?
3) Is player elimination going to pose a problem?
4) How long do you want the game to run?
5) Are all guest going to participate?
6) Are you going to have equal amounts of male and female players (Not me being sexist, just some games expect even sexes for player count versus characters etc).

There are heaps of Murder Mysteries out there, but once you break down the above issues it really narrows down the options. The benefit about a store bought one is that as the host you get to play and enjoy yourself, whereas if you use a template and make it yourself your basically just a game host.

Going with a large social game like Werewolf will also result in you hosting as compared to playing, but is a lot more adaptable for player counts, sexes, late arrivals, no shows, unexpected guest etc, plus the theme is great for Holloween.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thayne Weston
United States
Nibley
Utah
flag msg tools
The die has been cast- Julius Caesar
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot of times you could buy one on eBay, or maybe there are some here on bgg. And then resell it since they are one time use ( at least if you play it) if murder is taboo, we did one that was geared towards teens that was who wrecked the prom. They are tons of fun with the right group of people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not a murder mystery but how about Host your own Horror Evening

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools
AS mentioned there are lots of commercial options available and a local thrift store probably has a few in stock. (If not, let me know, I see them here all the time.) It's a cheap option--especially if you decide you don't like it--and is a good starting point for someone with little experience. These games help you organize the whole thing and give each person a sort of script to follow, and it's then up to him or her to dramatize it as much as suits them. Not every role is gender specific so there is some room to adjust those--or find the member of your group who doesn't mind dressing in drag. I think it helps if people can dress the part, and it doesn't have to cost much to do this. See if you can persuade them to make their Hallowe'en costumes fit their character.

The only concern with a store bought version is that the number of roles is predetermined and you though you may be able to adjust by one person plus or minus by combining roles and such, it is the biggest shortcoming if you're planning a party.

I haven't ever seen one with supernatural elements, but it may exist. It might even be possible to adapt one, depending on your talent for that sort of thing. Just be aware that you would have to be familiar with the whole story to do so and therefore forego your ability to play blind.

Good luck.

Edit: If you do a search for Murder Mystery you'll see a long list of these to get some idea of what they're like.
I found this one listed, Murder Mystery Party: Murder in Transylvania, which suggests there are some with your theme available. Unfortunately none showed up for sale on BGG or Ebay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack McRipper
msg tools
Bearhug78 wrote:
Yer checking out some games like werewolf etc might be worth a look for Halloween.

So I have a few questions which will dramatically alter the answers you'll get;

1) How many players are you expecting?
2) Are the expected players all guaranteed to turn up and on time?
3) Is player elimination going to pose a problem?
4) How long do you want the game to run?
5) Are all guest going to participate?
6) Are you going to have equal amounts of male and female players (Not me being sexist, just some games expect even sexes for player count versus characters etc).

There are heaps of Murder Mysteries out there, but once you break down the above issues it really narrows down the options. The benefit about a store bought one is that as the host you get to play and enjoy yourself, whereas if you use a template and make it yourself your basically just a game host.

Going with a large social game like Werewolf will also result in you hosting as compared to playing, but is a lot more adaptable for player counts, sexes, late arrivals, no shows, unexpected guest etc, plus the theme is great for Holloween.

We play Werewolf regularly, I was hoping to try something new. Well more like brainstorming if it's worth the effort.

1. Low 20s throughout the night.
2. Not on time, but I could always start the murder mystery later than when the party starts, right? I honestly don't know how this works :S
3. Depends on what level. I've had a few bitch about not being to play werewolf after dying, but then they stopped acting like a five year old and got over it lol. They should be used to it by now.
4. Murder Mysteries aren't meant to be quick are they? At least an hour.
5. I can make them participate if the premise of the party is a murder mystery. The invites are to characters, not people right?
6. I'm not entirely sure, depends who drops out. I may have more women than men. The guys I know tend to be a little flakier.

I wouldn't mind at all hosting. It was my idea and I wasn't expecting to be able to participate.

I have no idea what to expect though, that's my biggest problem here. I don't know if I should try crafting clues by hand, tell people if they're innocent or not, when and how to have them act dead when the time comes, or if I should go for something that would be more like a life-size Clue. If a board game can make a first time hosting of one of these a lot easier, that'd be a lot of help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might find these couple of links helpful in giving you an idea of what's out there that will suit your needs;

http://www.great-murder-mystery-games.com/murder-mystery-par...

http://www.nightofmystery.com/

I've never bought anything from these sites, but they seem to give a good run down on what's required and more importantly themes available for different player counts (There are a couple of good Halloween themes as well). They also have plenty catering for the number of players you indicated.

As a side note, I've run a few of these in the past and if you are going to have extra people dropping in, you can just make them spectators to the mystery and let them participate at the end in guessing who the murder is (If it's not solved earlier by one of the players). You just need to make sure the players don't mind acting in front of an audience.

You can stretch most of these out over the evening if it's all you have planed as they generally playout in chapters with the intent of serving courses of meals in between the chapters(It's not really an issue if you do this or not, but we have in the past made all the food fit the theme of it as well which everyone really enjoyed, as I had made them all get into costume as well). So yer costumes, food and hence time work around your preferences and requirements quite well. We generally get about 2 hours of entertainment out of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.