Seth Roberts
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
This is a game that initially developed an intense and passionate following on Kickstarter. It was one of the highly touted game success stories. However, the delivery date has passed well over a year ago and the team at Forking Path has been uncommunicative and unresponsive. This has led many of the KS supporters to doubt that the game and rewards will ever be delivered. (Reference: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/forkingpath/the-doom-tha... )

The fact that the funders have resorted to reporting this KS campaign as fraudulent may be a sign that it is not as successful as once thought. Maybe Forking Path will respond here since they are not responding anywhere else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
robertsseth wrote:
This is a game that initially developed an intense and passionate following on Kickstarter. It was one of the highly touted game success stories. However, the delivery date has passed well over a year ago and the team at Forking Path has been uncommunicative and unresponsive. This has led many of the KS supporters to doubt that the game and rewards will ever be delivered. (Reference: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/forkingpath/the-doom-tha... )

The fact that the funders have resorted to reporting this KS campaign as fraudulent may be a sign that it is not as successful as once thought. Maybe Forking Path will respond here since they are not responding anywhere else.

Looks like the funding date was over a year ago but the delivery date was Nov. 2012, so closer to 8 months ago.

Also, looks like the publisher did an update last month. So they are not completely MIA as I've seen on some other projects.
I wouldn't abandon hope, could very well just be that things are indeed taking longer than they thought. I've seen a lot worse "train wrecks" on Kickstarter (see Odin's Ravens for example).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raviv Nagel
Israel
Haifa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget they also had some IP issues. I bet that caused a delay, and probably cost them quite a lot of money to sort out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen G Roy
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Designer Keith Baker's official response:

http://keith-baker.com/the-doom-kickstarter-my-response/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Train wreck is an understatement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No No No Sheep
Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
robertsseth wrote:

i read the kickstarted commentary page and still cannot believe that this fraud is allowed to happen in USA. i mean im familiar with the nigerian scams but this is from america , why dont the law protect the people from these kind of frauds ? the KS ToS specifically said that if project cancelled then a refund is mandatory not optional.

am i the only one that find the lack of law enforcement in KS a bit strange ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Vinyard
United States
Las Cruces
NM
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dprijadi wrote:
robertsseth wrote:

i read the kickstarted commentary page and still cannot believe that this fraud is allowed to happen in USA. i mean im familiar with the nigerian scams but this is from america , why dont the law protect the people from these kind of frauds ? the KS ToS specifically said that if project cancelled then a refund is mandatory not optional.

am i the only one that find the lack of law enforcement in KS a bit strange ?

A news report out of Portland has said that the Oregon Attorney General's Office is investigating the complaints.

I don't think anyone can say at this point what actions will occur.

The old saying is that "the wheels of justice grind slowly, but exceedingly fine".

The slow part is certain. I'm not sure about how fine they always grind, but I think it's way too early to tell.

More importantly, I don't think there is any hard proof of fraud at this point. Lots of speculation may point toward it, but I don't think there is any actual proof or admission.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Very legal & very cool
United States
Lincoln
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nominated for most prescient thread of the year, beating the actual news by several days
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen G Roy
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why'd he hafta move to Portland? (Other than to start a film company)?
Lots of games are made in other states. Portland does not immediately spring to mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Mister_Barista wrote:
Why'd he hafta move to Portland? (Other than to start a film company)?
Lots of games are made in other states. Portland does not immediately spring to mind.

Thought that was near where the game designers lived? Wasnt he moving there to form the company and have everyone on hand? Or was that part another smokescreen?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Migliore
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just want to clearly state that artist Lee Moyer, game designer Keith Baker and sculpture Paul Komoda are all talented and trustworthy professionals. I have personally worked with them on various Lovecraftian projects over the years and they are good eggs and they will endeavor to do right. Unfortunately they were only the creative part of the equation and not the actual publishers.

I cannot say the same about Erik Chevalier of The Forking Path. Erik through extreme incompetence, criminal neglect or intentional fraud mismanaged the funds raised to publish the game, he was clearly over his head.

When managing a project of this type you bid out the work, do alternative costing for materials, estimate schedules, determine risk mitigation, and then track against your plan. If you are truly running this as a business you want to publish as soon as possible so you can get the product out to other marketplace channels to make money to help fund your next project.

That assumes you are running your business for long term success and care about your personal and professional reputation.

I hope Keith & Lee can apply pressure on Erik to refund the Kickstarter backers as much as possible but I assume after a year that most funds have been spent. I also hope that this project will be published someday just to get Paul's sculptures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
landru wrote:
I just want to clearly state that artist Lee Moyer, game designer Keith Baker and sculpture Paul Komoda are all talented and trustworthy professionals.

I hope Keith & Lee can apply pressure on Erik to refund the Kickstarter backers as much as possible but I assume after a year that most funds have been spent. I also hope that this project will be published someday just to get Paul's sculptures.

There is a huge thread on this disaster epic elsewhere.

Keith and Lee got nothing from this at all. They applied legal pressure on Erik to get the names of all the backers and are sending everyone a PNP version of the game.

Erik has stated that hes broke and has to get a job so he can pay off the backers. But as of 3 months ago he had purchased movie equipment and as of 2 months ago was making short movies and planning a bigger movie. And had moved into a house in Portland with a 2k/mo rent... And on and on.

Judge it as you will. But everything Erik has done lately just makes things look worse and worse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kamma
United States
Stuart
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
robertsseth wrote:

well, that's what happens when you support kickstarter. i really can't stand kickstarter. i hate seeing a new cool game coming out...only to see it hasn't even been made yet, and that it's yet ANOTHER kickstarter (seriously, like the majority of boardgames coming out nowadays are all kickstarter, it's oversaturating everything) and that i should have to put for them to even make it. that's a bunch of nonsense. "stretch goals" are a dumb gimmick used to trap people in.
kickstarter is truly a blight on the boardgame world. i'm not against crowdfunding fully; but the way it is handled with kickstarter is very annoying and dumb.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Vinyard
United States
Las Cruces
NM
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
devaloki wrote:
robertsseth wrote:

well, that's what happens when you support kickstarter. i really can't stand kickstarter. i hate seeing a new cool game coming out...only to see it hasn't even been made yet, and that it's yet ANOTHER kickstarter (seriously, like the majority of boardgames coming out nowadays are all kickstarter, it's oversaturating everything) and that i should have to put for them to even make it. that's a bunch of nonsense. "stretch goals" are a dumb gimmick used to trap people in.
kickstarter is truly a blight on the boardgame world. i'm not against crowdfunding fully; but the way it is handled with kickstarter is very annoying and dumb.

Stop complaining about Kickstarter. After the Kickstarter campaign ended, the Forking Path took preorders on their website. So you had every opportunity to be swindled through a non-Kickstarter option as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Turner
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Q: Is this Kickstarter success story becoming a train wreck?

A: No

Does suck for the backers though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.