Subject: Board Game Shopping in Japan rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dither Dither
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The family and I recently spent a nice two week holiday in Japan. Whilst you don't visit Japan for board game purposes, I did take the opportunity to sneak away when I could to check things out. I am grateful for the earlier Tokyo Game Shop thread highlighting that there are board game shops, and in particular the response by

Rick Senki
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I don't think I would have found the stores without his additional instructions.

First stop was Akihabara, a wacky place in itself. I went into the Yellow Submarine Store, but did not have enough time to check out all the floors, so could not find the board game bits. I eventually found the Role & Roll Station, its a small store with some nice games, but not a lot of Japanese published games. Also, at the time I visited, the staff English was not that good, and my Japanese was truly appalling.

Anyway, next chance to sneak off was a week later in Kyoto. Thankfully, I had a rental sim for the iPad, as there is no way I would be able to find these stores with only written instructions and no Google Maps.

The Yellow Submarine store would seem to be the only place in Kyoto that sells board games. Its a small single level store, but it does have this shelf devoted to board games:

There are many shrines to visit in Kyoto, and for me this is one of them!

In additional to Japanese versions of some of your favourite games (in addition to other language versions with Japanese rules on the back), they also had a range of Japanese developed board games for sale, such as Cat & Chocolate and Film Fixer.

At the end of our trip, we were back in Tokyo, and I took a visit to Sugorokuya (http://sugorokuya.jp/shop-en.html). My small tip is don't try and visit this store from "the North from Shinkoenji Station" as it is easy to get lost.

Its a small store with some nice games, including a few self-published. I bought a few, including Mythe.

Anyway, here is a small YouTube video of my gaming haul.

Japan and its people are lovely. Its a great place to visit (even when it is very hot in June / July). Recommended.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It gets even hotter in August! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Griffon
France
Nantes
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Kyoto Yellow Submarine seems to have changed their layout again. I was there only eight months ago and can't even imagine what corner of the shop your picture shows!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Nedry
Japan
Yamashina
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bit late and not really relevant since your trip is finished but...

Yellow Sub has a much larger selection but Yodobashi Camera has a selection of games too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keng Leong Yeo
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
aka Uncle
badge
小富靠勤,中富靠智,大富靠德。
mbmbmbmbmb
FranklinTV wrote:
Japan and its people are lovely. Its a great place to visit (even when it is very hot in June / July). Recommended.

I totally agree with you on the Japanese being lovely and considerate people. We were in Tokyo for 15 days in May 2012, commuting by train every day. I can remember only one instance of a Japanese speaking loudly into her mobile phone whilst commuting. Whenever we asked for directions, the other person would almost certainly go out of the way to show us which way to go.

As we went in May, the weather was fine all the way through. 25 degrees celsius average, and it rained on only one day of our 15 days there.

We are planning a three week trip to Kyoto-Osaka-Kobe-Nara, but am not sure when we will be able to make that trip.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mercedes (Mandy)
Japan
Setagaya-ku
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Tokyo Game Market here I come!
badge
Sorry if I'm slow in reading mails. I'm currently working hard on some Alley Thieves
mbmbmbmbmb
Great video!! That is one Nice Fender.

Thanks for posting this up.
If anyone else comes to visit Japan, just contact one of us, and we'll help you if we can
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fredrik Jönsson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I was in Japan this week and had a fantastic time. One of the highlights was going to Gamestore Banesto in Nagoya. The owner is a great guy, very helpful and friendly, so I highly recommend going there if you have a chance. It's easy to get there too, not far from a subway stop. Check out his webpage for directions: http://banesto.shop6.makeshop.jp/html/company.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lior A
France
flag msg tools
What's the name of the train game? Does it have a bgg entry?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ruel Gaviola
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have an upcoming trip to Japan and your post and video are much appreciated. Thank you for sharing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julie Hayes
msg tools
Where in Japan are you going? In the Kansai area (Osaka, Kyoto Kobe, etc) there is Kiwi Games and DDT. I highly recommend both places. They have a big playing area too. Kiwi games even has a drink bar.

In Nagoya there is Yellow Submarine and Gamestore Banesto.

I'm sure there are TONS of board game places in Tokyo (I know there is a yellow Sub there too), but haven't been to any. I prefer cafes and clothes shopping when in Tokyo. Haha
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ruel Gaviola
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Juujuu wrote:
Where in Japan are you going? In the Kansai area (Osaka, Kyoto Kobe, etc) there is Kiwi Games and DDT. I highly recommend both places. They have a big playing area too. Kiwi games even has a drink bar.

In Nagoya there is Yellow Submarine and Gamestore Banesto.

I'm sure there are TONS of board game places in Tokyo (I know there is a yellow Sub there too), but haven't been to any. I prefer cafes and clothes shopping when in Tokyo. Haha

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll be in Mitaka. I'd love to get a few Japan-produced games while I'm there and maybe do a little gaming, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien K
Japan
Kyoto
flag msg tools
Maybe you don't realize it, but there's a TON of mikata in Japan If you give us more precision about where that is, we may be able to give you more addresses !

In the meantime, you can also have a look at the following thread: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1444254/map-game-shops-and-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ruel Gaviola
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jujulautre wrote:
Maybe you don't realize it, but there's a TON of mikata in Japan If you give us more precision about where that is, we may be able to give you more addresses !

In the meantime, you can also have a look at the following thread: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1444254/map-game-shops-and-...

Oops! LOL I guess I better figure out exactly where I'm going. Osawa Mitaka, Tokyo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien K
Japan
Kyoto
flag msg tools
I have to apologize, because I misread Mitaka for Mikata, and suddenly things are easier to find. Booh, bad me yuk

Anyway, since you will be in Tokyo, I advise you to look at the link I provided, there's a bunch of shops in the Tokyo area registered there. It seems actually that there is a shop right in Mitaka ! How cool is that ? Also, Sugorokuya on the Chuo train line (where Mitaka station is) is a very nice shop, but not much for hardcore fans, more geared towards the standard Japanese family who starts gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ruel Gaviola
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No problem! Thanks for the info and the link. I also found a board game meetup in Shimo-Kitazawa that I'm hoping is somewhat close to where I'll be staying: http://www.meetup.com/JIGG-Tokyo/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.