7 Posts

Runebound (Second Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Got game yesterday - fast questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mike tauman

New Jersey
msg tools
I got the game yesterday and really enjoyed it. I know I had more than 2 questions but since I was up until 2am this is all I can remember.

First - my g/f had an artifact - crystal staff or something, that she could activate Before Combat to test against her Spirit and successful the enemy would take 2 wounds. She also had some dwarven fire bomb or something like that which is a Before Combat item that is discarded. Can she use both for the same combat? I think the Before Combat phase says first you do the adventure card's Before Combat ability if any, then you can do yours and your allies and you can only ACTIVATE one card at this time. The Dwarven grenade is not activated, but discarded when used. The staff is activated. Can you use both? We thought the answer was no until after the combat and then thought otherwise.

Second - She killed some yellow creature... lich lord or something? Anyway after defeating it she keeps the card and the card says something like - you may discard this card instead of making a Magic Attack to do a wound. Sorry I am pretty tired and I cannot remeber exactly but the key is, she could use the card instead of making a Magic Attack. Assume she has no allies, and she attacks with Ranged and defends with Melee and now Magic is up. She CANNOT make a magic attack since she already attacked once this round. Can she use that special card? Or do you have to "save up" your attack that round for the magic phase, and then sacrifice that attack to use the card? There were a couple cards like this... I think the Dragon Rune I had was similar - so does it mean that your Hero's one attack that round must be in that phase, and esssentially forfeited? Also, if you HAVE an ally or 2, and the ALLY is going to attack during the magic phase, can you sacrifice the ally's attack to use the card? I am guessing yes to the first question (use your 1 attack for the round then skip that attack to use the card) and no to the second (can't use the card and just lose an ally attack).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Wraith
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan (MI)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can only do one Before Combat action per combat. So, if you have two, like Crystal Staff and Dwarven Fire Bomb, you can only use one.

If a card states that it can be used 'instead of making an attack', then you must be able to make an attack in that round. If you already attacked in Ranged, then you can't use an 'instead of' card in the Magic phase, because you wouldn't be eligible to attack then (unless you have a special ability that allows it (like Silhouette) or an item that enables it (like the Totem Staff.))

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike tauman

New Jersey
msg tools
Thanks Jack.

Just to be sure though... if I have an ally and I use my Hero to make a Ranged Attack, I Defend during Melee, and I intend to use my ally to make a Magic Attack, could I then substitute a card I am holding that says "instead of making a Magic Attack" and forego my ally's magic attack? My guess is no as it would be too easy to use those cards and get those excellent benefits, and many of the allies have poor attacks anyway so I wouldn't be giving up much. So my guess is I have to forego my HERO's magic attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niels Taatgen
Netherlands
Groningen
Groningen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As I read the rules you can use both the staff and the fire bombs. The rules that that you can have multiple before combat abilities and items, and that the limitation is that you can use every ability only once, and that you have a maximum of activating one item. The fire bombs don't need activation, so only the staff counts.

Niels
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike tauman

New Jersey
msg tools
Hmm now I am confused again. I'll check the official FAQ and see if there is anything there, otherwise I will just reread the rules again tonight, which should go by quick now that I played once already, and if we still aren't sure we'll just make a house rule and stick to it.

But I do remember the rules indicating that you can ACTIVATE only one item during Before Combat or a particular phase of combat, but that Always-On or Discardable items can be used and it does NOT count as an activation, so I guess you should be able to do both.

Thanks for all the help guys!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dexblair .
Malaysia
Desa Petaling
W.P.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
blakjaks wrote:
Always-On or Discardable items can be used and it does NOT count as an activation, so I guess you should be able to do both.

yes u r right.
thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Pontiff
United States
Houma
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have one card that says ACTIVATE and inflict wounds instead of making a magic attack, and you have a card that says DISCARD and inflict wounds instead of making a magic attack, can you use both in the same attack or only one can be used?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.